Why old men aren't hired...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

burkhome wrote:I'm not in HR but having owned my own business and managed a few over the past 40 years or so, I have a little experience in the hiring game. I have hired people over qualified a few times in my life. 99% of the time this ends up as a short term solution to a staff shortage. An over qualified person uses the job as a stop gap till they can find a real job.
That is not because they are over qualified but rather because they are (in their opinion) under paid.

People with skills, especially skills that are being employed, expect to be appropriately compensated.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
burkhome
Gold Member

Post by burkhome »

dusty wrote:That is not because they are over qualified but rather because they are (in their opinion) under paid.

People with skills, especially skills that are being employed, expect to be appropriately compensated.
Which makes them overqualified for the menial job at hand.
Roger, Waupun Wisconsin
wlhayesmfs
Platinum Member

Post by wlhayesmfs »

Several years ago I found myself out of work after over 20 years with the same company and I was 60 and looking for work. I interviewed over and over with a lot of large companies for Management positions. For the last 30 years I held management positions where I was working. I managed at times over 26 large retail locations doing Millions and Millions in sales. But because of restructuring over 1600 positions were eliminated. I was not selected over and over again after interviews and when following up I found that someone else much younger was selected for the positions. I think the real reason I was not selected was strictly a business decision based on my age, yes I know you cannot use that as a reason but let’s be real, Are you going to invest a management position on that pay level to someone that is probably going to work only 10 years or into someone that will possibly stay for 20 to 30 years. I vote for the individual that I will get the largest return on investment. Business is business and they are going to spend their money wisely. If they make poor decisions then they could be released. One thing I have learned no company repays locality any longer HR and legal has changed this in large corporations and everyone is replaceable on any day. Of course this is just my opinion
Bill :)
Broken Arrow OK
MKV, 510, MKVll, 50th Anniversary 520 with Jointech saw train, Bandsaw, scroll saw, joiner, 6" Sander,Stand Alone Pin Router and Router Table, Strip Sander, Jigsaw & (4) ER's plus Jigsaw for ER. DC SS RAS
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

wlhayesmfs wrote:Several years ago I found myself out of work after over 20 years with the same company and I was 60 and looking for work. I interviewed over and over with a lot of large companies for Management positions. For the last 30 years I held management positions where I was working. I managed at times over 26 large retail locations doing Millions and Millions in sales. But because of restructuring over 1600 positions were eliminated. I was not selected over and over again after interviews and when following up I found that someone else much younger was selected for the positions. I think the real reason I was not selected was strictly a business decision based on my age, yes I know you cannot use that as a reason but let’s be real, Are you going to invest a management position on that pay level to someone that is probably going to work only 10 years or into someone that will possibly stay for 20 to 30 years. I vote for the individual that I will get the largest return on investment. Business is business and they are going to spend their money wisely. If they make poor decisions then they could be released. One thing I have learned no company repays locality any longer HR and legal has changed this in large corporations and everyone is replaceable on any day. Of course this is just my opinion

Image Image

Loyalty?

Just like pre-union days!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

burkhome wrote:Which makes them overqualified for the menial job at hand.
'Menial' jobs performed by 'overqualified' persons are properly compensated at the 'menial' level. An 'overqualified' job candidate would understand that.

So why is the candidate left out of the decision? Their pride has already been swallowed by their decision to apply for the menial position.

Too much is not on the table! How long will you stay? Will you be searching for a more suitable job elsewhere? How long do you intend to continue working?.

If those questions are not asked, the interviewer is assuming the least desirable answer. NOT FAIR! But understandable. NOT defensible for fairness, but likely 'business' ethic( lack of real ethics!).
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

The little bit of the hiring process I was involved in I found there were many reasons people looked for job.
Some to say they did, so they would get more unemployment.
Some because the spouse or parents said go get a job.
Some desparate for a job often would take anything even jobs they hated and did them very poorly.
Some good workers that would give 8 hours pay for 8 hours work.
Some that wanted the job and would give 10 hours work for 8 hours pay.

Now you have to look them in the eye and tell them a reason you aren't hiring them. It is hard to say you don't want the job, you wasted my time and your time coming in and I wouldn't hire you under any circumstance.
Easier to say your over qualified, under qualified or your skill set doesn't meet the skill set we are looking for.

Once had a piano major apply for a technical job. The person was the kind that would give 10 hours work for 8 hours pay but had no idea in the world what electricity was. With training they turned out to be exactly what was expected someone that worked 8 hours but did 10 hours of work in those 8 and it was top notch work.

Had another guy that was totally qualified but really didn't want a job. His body language conveyed the message he didn't want the job. His language conveyed the same message. He talked about how much he wanted the job but everything else about him shouted don't hire me. Guess what we didn't hire him. While he expressed his saddness I think inside he was thrilled.

I have had totally over qualified people apply for jobs because they needed a job and were willing to take a job they were over qualified for. Some worked out excellent and some used the job as a stop gap until they found what challenged them.

I tended to love over qualified people, most could be given jobs that everyone else had given up on and find a way to make it work. Some of our best ideas came from overqualified people, of course they didn't stay in that job long before their ability got them promoted.

My opinion what you convey by body language and word choice say more to the hiring person than anything your resume, education or interview skills do.

Loved the joke! Almost can picture Walter Jeff Dunham's dummy saying this.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:The little bit of the hiring process I was involved in I found there were many reasons people looked for job.
Some to say they did, so they would get more unemployment.
Some because the spouse or parents said go get a job.
Some desparate for a job often would take anything even jobs they hated and did them very poorly.
Some good workers that would give 8 hours pay for 8 hours work.
Some that wanted the job and would give 10 hours work for 8 hours pay.

Now you have to look them in the eye and tell them a reason you aren't hiring them. It is hard to say you don't want the job, you wasted my time and your time coming in and I wouldn't hire you under any circumstance.
Easier to say your over qualified, under qualified or your skill set doesn't meet the skill set we are looking for.

Once had a piano major apply for a technical job. The person was the kind that would give 10 hours work for 8 hours pay but had no idea in the world what electricity was. With training they turned out to be exactly what was expected someone that worked 8 hours but did 10 hours of work in those 8 and it was top notch work.

Had another guy that was totally qualified but really didn't want a job. His body language conveyed the message he didn't want the job. His language conveyed the same message. He talked about how much he wanted the job but everything else about him shouted don't hire me. Guess what we didn't hire him. While he expressed his saddness I think inside he was thrilled.

I have had totally over qualified people apply for jobs because they needed a job and were willing to take a job they were over qualified for. Some worked out excellent and some used the job as a stop gap until they found what challenged them.

I tended to love over qualified people, most could be given jobs that everyone else had given up on and find a way to make it work. Some of our best ideas came from overqualified people, of course they didn't stay in that job long before their ability got them promoted.

My opinion what you convey by body language and word choice say more to the hiring person than anything your resume, education or interview skills do.

Loved the joke! Almost can picture Walter Jeff Dunham's dummy saying this.

Well said!

Except fo de blue part!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝