scary nois on mark v

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jasonsabala
Gold Member

scary nois on mark v

Post by jasonsabala »

So I got my greenie up and running yesterday. I noticed, before I reassembled the headstock, that the motor made a scary noise when running.

It sounds like there is an irregular wire brush scratching the inside of the motor casing or a small creature trying to claw its way out. It seemed even noisier once in the headstock.

What can I do to help my motor run more smoothly adn quietly?

Jason Sabala
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jasonsabala wrote:So I got my greenie up and running yesterday. I noticed, before I reassembled the headstock, that the motor made a scary noise when running.

It sounds like there is an irregular wire brush scratching the inside of the motor casing or a small creature trying to claw its way out. It seemed even noisier once in the headstock.

What can I do to help my motor run more smoothly adn quietly?

Jason Sabala

Bearings?.......

Did you have the motor apart?
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jasonsabala
Gold Member

Post by jasonsabala »

I didn't get the motor apart, just out of the headstock.

So you think it might be the bearings in the motor? I am thinking of taking it to a small motor repair shop, but am unsure. I'd rather put in time than money.

Thanks,

Jason
jayhawk
Gold Member

Post by jayhawk »

I had a motor where the fan sheave setscrew loosened and let the sheave rub against the motor. Made a terrible racket. If you take the motor out, turn it by hand and see if the sheave is rubbing. If not, then it could be bearings. Bearings are easy to get and not difficult to replace if you have a bearing puller.
Jayhawk
1982 Mark V 500 'Shorty' upgraded to 510 S/N 131846 (purchased new)
PowerPro S/N 09-02-10 (Sept 2010)
SS PowerStation, Bandsaw, jointer, belt sander, thickness planer, strip sander, lathe duplicator, ringmaster, jig saw, OPR
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

Remove the belt cover. Put a face plate or sanding disk on the quill and rotate while listening for the noise while feeling and looking with no power applied. Watch the headstock inside (remove LOGO hole) and the open end to see if you can see what is hitting/rubbing. Operate and set the speed to FAST. Go thru the speed range if possible. If problem not seen, set speed to FAST and turn off. Walk the belt off the motor sheaves. Apply power to the headstock. Look and listen again. You may have to disassemble the headstock to locate the problem if nothing is found. A nice light will help you see inside the headstock. Bad bearings can normally be felt or heard when rotating by hand.

I find seeing, feeling and listening when turning the quill by hand & power will help locate most problems.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
jasonsabala
Gold Member

Post by jasonsabala »

billmayo wrote:Remove the belt cover. Put a face plate or sanding disk on the quill and rotate while listening for the noise while feeling and looking with no power applied. Watch the headstock inside (remove LOGO hole) and the open end to see if you can see what is hitting/rubbing. Operate and set the speed to FAST. Go thru the speed range if possible. If problem not seen, set speed to FAST and turn off. Walk the belt off the motor sheaves. Apply power to the headstock. Look and listen again. You may have to disassemble the headstock to locate the problem if nothing is found. A nice light will help you see inside the headstock. Bad bearings can normally be felt or heard when rotating by hand.

I find seeing, feeling and listening when turning the quill by hand & power will help locate most problems.
It still made the sound with the motor completely removed- kind of a grinding, scratching metal on metal sound. I haven't yet opened the motor case. I was not immediately sure how to procede. Will look at it again later today.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Did you put the spacer behind the fan sheave on the motor shaft back in place? If the spacer is missing and the fan sheave rubs the motor housing you will hear a metal to metal rubbing sound. IIRC the fan sheave should be no further from the motor than 1/8 inch. The spacer should provide this clearance.
Bill V
jasonsabala
Gold Member

Post by jasonsabala »

Hmm. I didn't check that. I left the sheeves on the motor. They looked good, just needed a brushing and oiling.