The Shopsmith BT3000

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

The Shopsmith and the BT3000

Post by dusty »

No, that is not a typo. It is a Mark V with a different rail system. A modification that combines the Mark V tables with a Ryobi Table Rail.

Scroll down through this thread (toward the bottom) which introduces the BT3000 and see for yourself. What say you.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

That looks like a nice set up for sawing, but wonder how difficult or easy it is to remove the BT3000 stuff so that one can use the non-saw related Shopsmith functions or add the bandsaw, etc.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

The rails can be slide out of the way in either direction. They are secured to the table with knobs that you cannot see in these photos. When loosened, the rails can be slide out of the way in either direction and then secured there.

The process of mounting standard Shopsmith SPT is not changed in any way.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

I was thinking about using an SPT with the BT3000 table installed on the Shopsmith. You can't do that, so you'd need to remove the rails and sliding table in order to mount the bandsaw, etc., which might not be that convenient. But then again, it's just another step in the converson process.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pennview wrote:I was thinking about using an SPT with the BT3000 table installed on the Shopsmith. You can't do that, so you'd need to remove the rails and sliding table in order to mount the bandsaw, etc., which might not be that convenient. But then again, it's just another step in the converson process.

Depending on how you were set up to begin with, you may not have to move the sliding table at all to install an SPT on the Mark V.

As an example, if you wanted the jointer on the left end, you'd loosen the rails and slide them to the right so that the headstock could be moved to the left to mate with the power coupler.

Yes, if your normal set up had the sliding table on the left, you'd have to either remove it or move it. Less than a 30 second change.

[ATTACH]19474[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19475[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]19476[/ATTACH]
Attachments
SMT Configuration Changes 005 (Custom).JPG
SMT Configuration Changes 005 (Custom).JPG (82.55 KiB) Viewed 46111 times
SMT Configuration Changes 006 (Custom).JPG
SMT Configuration Changes 006 (Custom).JPG (85.47 KiB) Viewed 46054 times
SMT Configuration Changes 010 (Custom).JPG
SMT Configuration Changes 010 (Custom).JPG (100.9 KiB) Viewed 46120 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

Dusty, when you remove and then reinstall the sliding table, does it automatically align with saw blade or are the some added steps in aligning things?
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

pennview wrote:Dusty, when you remove and then reinstall the sliding table, does it automatically align with saw blade or are the some added steps in aligning things?
The sliding table automatically aligns to the rails when it is mounted to the rails. If the rails and sliding table were properly aligned during the initial setup, the sliding table is automatically aligned to the blade.

This is a sweet set up.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Thanks for posting the photos of your set up as I couldn't see them over at the BT3000 forum (not a member).

A few questions:

How much cross-cut capacity do you have on the sliding table?

With the BT3000 rails installed, can you connect the main table to floating tables/extension table as with the Shopsmith rails/tubes?

How's the BT3000 rip fence compare to the 520 fence?
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:Thanks for posting the photos of your set up as I couldn't see them over at the BT3000 forum (not a member).

A few questions:

How much cross-cut capacity do you have on the sliding table?

With the BT3000 rails installed, can you connect the main table to floating tables/extension table as with the Shopsmith rails/tubes?

How's the BT3000 rip fence compare to the 520 fence?
Cross cut capacity at 90° is just a tad over 18".

If you have a floating table, there are adapter plates available. There is also a table that is designed to accept a router.

The rip fence is not as stout as is the 520 fence but attaches in much the same way as does the 520 and it locks square (according to how well it has been aligned) and is solidly secured to the table.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

The Shopsmith BT3000

Post by dusty »

You really need to sign in to the bt3 site so that you can view the photos posted there by the gentleman (Ron) who designed this adaptation.

I have a few photos but mine really do not do justice to this design. You might also want to review the thread that Ron has posted here on this forum. He has also developed an adaptation of the Sliding Miter Table (SMT) that attached to the standard tubes of a 520 and uses two 520 rails for mounting.

[ATTACH]19477[/ATTACH]

This is my Shorty with an adapted floating table, the SMT, an adapted Main Table and the Router/Accessory Table all mounted to Ryobi rails. Note also that I have the jointer mounted as well (with no power adapter).

SAFETY NOTE: Seldom if ever is it appropriate to utilize both the rip fence and the cross cut fence simultaneously as shown is this picture.
Attachments
BT3000 Setup Photos 007 (Custom).JPG
BT3000 Setup Photos 007 (Custom).JPG (81.53 KiB) Viewed 46175 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty