Totally Unrelated Rant

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

swampgator
Platinum Member

Not TV, newspaper

Post by swampgator »

Rather than TV which probably won't report it anyway, write a letter to BBB and the editor of you local newspaper. Here in Florida, all rent money must be in a separate account, all expenses must be recorded and it can be billed to the renter or deducted from the deposit. However, if a renter fails to pay his/her rent, we cannot remove them. We have to get the government (local yocal law enforcement with a court order) to evict. Then the renters had 10 days to pay up, tear up or move out. The deputy/policeman can walk around with the landlord to note property destruction. As someone else mentioned, pictures don't lie. Take them. And, if you have a camera, set the date stamp so the info will be printed in the pic. Make notes about them. Then if you have to present something to anyone for arbitration or other legal actions, you have proof that will stand up in a legal judgment.

I'm not a legal expert, but just my experience. Learned it the hard way, so just sharing.
Steve, the old Florida gator

I just love it when she says I can go make sawdust. ;) :D
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

He didn't fix the garage door and re-rented the house?
If it was for the same or more $ than your kid was paying, I would think that that would be a small claims action right there.
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
terrydowning
Platinum Member

Post by terrydowning »

wiredone wrote:He didn't fix the garage door and re-rented the house?
If it was for the same or more $ than your kid was paying, I would think that that would be a small claims action right there.
Most states do not require the owner of damaged property to repair property damage they have received compensation for.

It's his property, it was damaged, he is entitled to be remuneration for the damage. He does not have to repair the damage. If the landlord foolishly decides not to repair the damage and reduce the value to his property, that's his decision.

Don't get me wrong I'm not saying I agree with the landlord's actions. Nor am I defending him. I'm just attempting to show a difference between ethical/moral behavior and legal behavior.

If I were renting the place I would document the existing damage and condition in writing and photos and make sure I don't get blamed for any preexisting damage on my way out.
--
Terry
Copy and paste the URLs into your browser if you want to see the photos.

1955 Shopsmith Mark 5 S/N 296860 Workshop and Tools
https://1drv.ms/i/s!AmpX5k8IhN7ahFCo9VvTDsCpoV_g

Public Photos of Projects
http://sdrv.ms/MaXNLX
maggeorge
Gold Member

Post by maggeorge »

I would not walk away from something like that! I know I could get that money. For all the things he mentioned, he could have gotten some for it, but not the total amount !!! No one should be allowed to unjustly enrich themselves !!!
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

JPG40504 wrote:I typically do not use rose colored glasses. That said I do agree with Dusty in that things have changed. Yes being a charlatan is not original, but their occurrences are more prevalent these days.
Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

WOW!
That's quite a damning idictment of our youth. Unfortunately though, true.

[quote="foxtrapper"]Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority]
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

Gene Howe wrote:WOW!
That's quite a damning idictment of our youth. Unfortunately though, true.
In fact it isn't a statement about the current generation at all (although it may be applicable). Rather, it is a quotation widely attributed to the ancient Greek philsopher Socrates. As it turns out it is not in reality a quotation at all but rather someone's 1907 summary of different statements made in ancient times by elders complaining about the youth of those ancient times. http://quoteinvestigator.com/2010/05/01 ... ent-times/

In other words, the more things change the more they stay the same.
Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!