Newbie Question Regarding Serial Number

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

marcp1956
Gold Member

Post by marcp1956 »

dusty, here's the picture of my Triumph you asked for.

Shalom, Marc
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

marcp1956 wrote:Did I exceed the image limit? Mmmmm.... I tried to use the quill handle that is on the table in the first picture for the headstock drill press handle but it would not physically fit. I'll tinker around with it a bit more and try to figure it out.

Shalom, Marc
That handle in the second pic looks more like the handle for the jointer. Also it looks like your missing the hub for the handle and ya need two more wedges for the jointer knives.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
marcp1956
Gold Member

Post by marcp1956 »

Here is a picture of the handle with sleeve (top), the "hub" that is in the sleeve (middle), the wing nut (bottom left) and a hub (bottom right) that fits nicely on the headstock shaft:

The top handle does not fit on the bottom right hub. If I am not mistaken the bottom right part IS the quill hub and a quill handle should fit into the threaded hole? What I need is the correct quill handle that will match the threads in the quill hub? A link to a handle that I could purchase would be great.

Shalom, Marc
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

marcp1956 wrote:Here is a picture of the handle with sleeve (top), the "hub" that is in the sleeve (middle), the wing nut (bottom left) and a hub (bottom right) that fits nicely on the headstock shaft:

The top handle does not fit on the bottom right hub. If I am not mistaken the bottom right part IS the quill hub and a quill handle should fit into the threaded hole? What I need is the correct quill handle that will match the threads in the quill hub? A link to a handle that I could purchase would be great.

Shalom, Marc

The 'bottom right part' is a rear main shaft hub. It attaches to the upper shaft on the rear of the headstock. It is secured to the shaft flat with a flat bottom set screw. That hub is used for spt's other that the jointer which is driven by the lower(idler) shaft as a higher rpm.

The coupler only has a spring in the driving end. The accessory end is not supposed to have a spring. The spring forces the coupler off the driving hub in the event the headstock slides away from the spt(the result of forgetting to secure the headstock).

Both ends of the quillfeed shaft have three indentations and the long red handle screws into any of the three positions. PM me with yer snail mail address and I will send you a handle of your vintage.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Poor choice of color(yellow) but hopefully this is enlightening.;)

[ATTACH]18402[/ATTACH]

I believe the other parts belong to something else.:D
Attachments
newbie parts.jpg
newbie parts.jpg (100.52 KiB) Viewed 3994 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
marcp1956
Gold Member

Post by marcp1956 »

Wow!! Better response that I could ever have expected. Yes, some of the parts are not for the Shopsmith. I just emptied out the box that came with the Shopsmith and shot a picture of it. One is a grommet from a tarp (still has pieces of blue tarp attached), a nail, a seal from the lid of some fluid, and an auto trim screw. That's my take on it anyway. Hopefully some day I will understand this piece of equipment enough to return the favor to someone in need. THANKS!!

What does SPT and SDPT stand for?
Shalom, Marc

Mark V #555510
10ER #R-63814
(Learning all I can right now.)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

marcp1956 wrote:Wow!! Better response that I could ever have expected. Yes, some of the parts are not for the Shopsmith. I just emptied out the box that came with the Shopsmith and shot a picture of it. One is a grommet from a tarp (still has pieces of blue tarp attached), a nail, a seal from the lid of some fluid, and an auto trim screw. That's my take on it anyway. Hopefully some day I will understand this piece of equipment enough to return the favor to someone in need. THANKS!!

What does SPT and SDPT stand for?
SPT = Special Purpose Tool. Such as band saw, jointer, jig saw, scroll saw, belt sander, etc.

SPDT = SPT mis-spelled!

Handle will be on its way hopefully tomorrow!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

marcp1956 wrote:dusty, here's the picture of my Triumph you asked for.

Shalom, Marc
Hey Marc, that looks like either a Parabellum fairing or A "RIFLE"
Which is it?
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

wiredone wrote:Hey Marc, that looks like either a Parabellum fairing or A "RIFLE"
Which is it?

I really like that. I miss my time on a bike. I would have one but I no longer trust my reflexes or my legs both of which have deteriorated rapidly the last few years.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
mikelst
Gold Member

Post by mikelst »

For a reference manual to the greenie era shopsmiths look at this link

http://www.songofthegreatlakes.com/ssm5manual.htm

Hope that helps
Mike......... Rowlett, Texas, near Dallas
86 MK V 500/520. 59 MK 5 Greenie Shorty. SS Jointer, SS Planer,
SS Bandsaw, SS Lathe duplicator, SS Belt Sander,SS Molder & Shaper,
SS Tenon master jig, SS Mortising kit, SS 2 1/4' Drum Sanders, Ringmaster, DC3300....