Not a true Shopsmith but Chuck help needed!

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Well ya need item "A" here for the headstock end and item "b" or "C" for the tail stock end.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/cata ... enters.htm
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
steinklatre
Silver Member

Post by steinklatre »

Ugh almost a hundred buckaroos!
saminmn
Gold Member

Tool Rest

Post by saminmn »

steinklatre wrote:Ugh almost a hundred buckaroos!
I haven't done any turning, but my used SS came with a Tool Rest. If you don't have this you will need something. I did not see in your pics, but you may well have just not thought to include in pic.
Sam in Northfield, MN
A day without beer......could have been better :p :D :p
Mark V 500 - S/N 100990, Mark V 510 - S/N missing, SS Band Saw, SS 6" Belt Sander, SS 4" Jointer, SS Scroll Saw, SS DC3300
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

For the center anything with a #2 morse taper is correct. #1 is waaaay too small.
Your best bargains for the chuck and the centers are on Ebay. Just be careful.
Remember #2 Morse taper not #1 and you'll be fine.
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
bkingery
Bronze Member

Post by bkingery »

they don't mate. You need to get a faceplate or adapter and a live center. I just bought the ones from penn state just waiting for them to get here.
pennview
Platinum Member

Post by pennview »

You need to buy a drive center that fits a Shopsmith. It has a 5/8" bore to fit over the spindle on the headstock and is held in place with a set screw. Those tapered drive centers are for lathes with a hollow spindle, not a Shopsmith.

You can buy any of the tapered tail stock centers that has a number two morse taper, but here again your best bet would be a live center that fits a Shopsmith. After all, the machine you have is a clone of the Shopsmith. They are very similar machines, but the parts inside the headstock are completely different.

If you don't want to buy directly from Shopsmith, you can look for used Shopsmith compatable stuff on e-bay.
Art in Western Pennsylvania
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Many of the clones use SS compatible components. From your pics it looks like the SS tailstock centers will work. The SS as well as most of the mini lathes use the #2 Morse taper for the tailstock. If you mount a small turning then you have to move the headstock to the right and then extend the quill to tighten the work between centers. You can try E-Bay for the tailstock center or Penn State industries who also sells the tailstock with the #2 Morse taper. I don't understand the question about coupling the shafts together. If you mean how do you connect the bandsaw or other tool then a drive shaft has to be installed between the left side of the headstock and the Bandsaw,jointer etc. Remember that the SS is backwards. On a regular larhe the headstock is stationary and the tailstock is moved to take up the extra space.
I would suggest the tailstock center with a bearing to prevent burning.
Bill V