home made belt grinder

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

It is even better to have a metal lathe, a milling machine, and a metal cutting band saw. However, it took me 45 years to get there!:D
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

I made a stand alone version to mount on a bench. It uses a 1/3hp motor. I like the SS version better (simpler, big motor, var. speed,etc). :D

This photo also shows it set up for a 1"x42" belt and the spark guard made from an old 8" aluminum pot.
[ATTACH]16877[/ATTACH]
Attachments
1x42 belt.jpg
1x42 belt.jpg (71.6 KiB) Viewed 33194 times
Peter
a 510,a Mini, dedicated SS drillpress, SS spt's, home made SS belt grinder, SS piston air system, Southbend 10k lathe, mill/drill, Taig
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

Love it. Just getting ready to convert my shopsmith to have a metal cutting bandsaw. This is by adding 2 and 7 inch pulleys to slow he machine. I'll get the blade made up. Ill post pics as I go along. Amen to south bend lathes!
berry
Platinum Member

Post by berry »

Very nice work!
New Leaf Custom Woodworking
Berry Conway - Chief Dust Maker
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Keep em coming!:cool:

I assume this adjusts tracking.

[ATTACH]16882[/ATTACH]

Please explain.
Attachments
1x42 belt tracking.jpg
1x42 belt tracking.jpg (17.97 KiB) Viewed 32832 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

Here is a closeup of the end of the idler arm. The idler wheel axle screws into the other side of the hinged piece. The L piece carries the tracking (brass) screw. The brass screw bears on the hinged piece and adjusts tracking. Works well! :) I found the basic idea for this arrangement here:
http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/sho ... hp?t=22559

[ATTACH]16885[/ATTACH]
Attachments
idler arm.jpg
idler arm.jpg (74.88 KiB) Viewed 32855 times
Peter
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Thank You! The hinge pin had me cornfuzed!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
peterm
Platinum Member

Post by peterm »

This device begs for further development........here it is as a two belt machine, with a fine 1.5" by 60" belt and a coarse 2" by 48".
[ATTACH]17300[/ATTACH]
There is a steel platen behind both belts. The pan came from a local thrift shop. I used a 5" aluminum drive wheel this time and made another idler arm like the first, but reversed to work on the left of the post. I have it set up on my mini and it works very well for metal or wood but I must pull the end cover off and see if any metal grindings are being pulled into the headstock!:(

Hmm, wonder what else I could do with this.................
Attachments
two belts resized.jpg
two belts resized.jpg (46.74 KiB) Viewed 32880 times
Peter
peterm
Platinum Member

Re: home made belt grinder

Post by peterm »

I occasionally run across photos from this post on Pinterest and Homemade Tools site, so wanted to direct those interested to the latest version of the grinder:

See also this later post describing a better version of this Shopsmith powered grinder.

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/view ... er#p190243
billmayo
Platinum Member

Re: home made belt grinder

Post by billmayo »

You can be amazed at what you can do with even the cheapest HF 7X10 metal lathe, new or used. I have found many uses for this small metal lathe over the years.