Back at the shop move...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Made decent moving progress Saturday. The big slow-down is sorting stuff as we go and deciding what to keep, what we can give away and what just needs to be in the trash. Picking stuff up and carrying it up the stairs to the truck is no big deal (it "is" a pretty good chore for a couple of old folks), the problem is after we haul it to the other building to store it you have to make a place to sit it down. :)
A couple of more trips will make a huge difference now.
We are going to lose some time this afternoon. At some point I want to replace 2 small windows at floor level in our solar room. They are below the big windows and were like a lot of basement windows put there for ventilation since none of the big windows can be opened. The guys that did the stone on the house had a dumb attack and laid the window ledges flat and water got to running back and rotted the window frames. I am replacing them with glass block units that have a small opening vent in the center and will make provisions to stop the rain water from getting near them.
You can see the solar room in the background of this picture of the horse hang-out area across the road from the house (we have bonfires there at night a lot). I have a better solar room pic "somewhere" but can't find it now.
[ATTACH]15669[/ATTACH]

We got a batch of SS stuff moved yesterday and I have my 510 ready to move today. Once it is moved I can do woodworking again... :cool:
Of course I won't be able to find anything. :eek: Everything is still stacked around in boxes in no particular order.
I hope to get my dividing wall and a batch of cleated panels up this week and needed something to rip stuff with. Surprisingly I am still running on schedule but the Ridgid TS-3650 tablesaw and the Foley/Belsaw planer/molder may have to wait a week or so for me to get the new door cut. I could dismantle part of the tablesaw to fit it down the narrow stairs but I just don't want to. The planer/molder is just a lot heavier (and more top-heavy) than I think I want to move down those stairs. At the new door I will be able to lower them down with a tractor and loader. If I get in a pinch to use the planer I can always take the work to the tool. The tablesaw was a want, not a need. I love it but can do anything I need on an SS just fine. :)

Attachments
Hang out area2.JPG
Hang out area2.JPG (204.4 KiB) Viewed 2426 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Lunch break...
The wisdom of my decision of 50 years ago was reinforced this morning when my wife asked me about the weather forecast through next week. She then said "Why don't we keep working on your woodshop now and do the windows later in the week..." :)
Sounds like a good plan to me. :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:Lunch break...
The wisdom of my decision of 50 years ago was reinforced this morning when my wife asked me about the weather forecast through next week. She then said "Why don't we keep working on your woodshop now and do the windows later in the week..." :)
Sounds like a good plan to me. :D

Especially the 'we' part!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

It's officially a shop now...

Post by robinson46176 »

Stuff may be piled all over blue blazes and a lot of stuff still not moved yet but it is now a shop... :)
Yesterday (along with a lot of other moving and several interruptions) I took my 510 and my brown restoration SS both apart and moved them to the new shop. I put both of them together this morning and made a cut with the 510.
We are "still" moving some stuff out but can see the end of that part of it maybe Thursday since they are talking rain all day tomorrow. Still if it clears up I can haul a quick load each way. :rolleyes:
Today I stopped and installed one of the new small solar room windows. I will probably do the second one next Monday when the temperature is supposed to be back in the mid-40's again.
Tonight (Tuesday) we ran to the Lowes over in the next county (our new Lowes got put on a years delay due to the economy and some stupid problems with the city administration that just went out of office) and I picked up a batch of pretty nice 2"x4"s to use to build the dividing wall between the 24'x40' woodshop room and the rest of the basement. That wall will be 24' long and have a 4' wide door in it very close to the bottom of the stairs from the house. The wall will be a 4' high solid wall with the upper 4' being vinyl window area so we can see from one part of the basement to the other (both ways) but have complete control of any dust. The door will have an upper window like the wall and in the lower part it will have a grill fitted with a large pleated fuzzy furnace filter to allow air exchange. At the very bottom of the door will be a one-way cat door to allow any cat locked in the shop to get out but not get back in.
Barring unexpected interruptions I should get the wall done tomorrow except for painting. I have not painted anything yet. Just bare concrete block for most of it. The hardest part of the wall is going to be getting the top spaces between the joist above the beam closed off air/dust tight. There is some unconventional framing at that point and simple blocking will not do it. (I'll have to get a picture of it). I picked up some of those soft foam strips that you use to seal between the sash when you use a window AC and will cut short pieces of it to stuff the gaps. I had planned to use the expanding foam caulking there but since you have to hold the can upside it could be a real PITA up in there. Time will tell...

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Some very early stage pictures

Post by robinson46176 »

[attach]15764[/attach]
Working on the dividing wall on the north-west wall of the shop (wall runs N-S). Still some stuff to move out but it is easy stuff now. That round 8" cold air return above my head is no longer used and will be taken out. The stack of boxes at the left side of the picture is a few of the empty boxes from our Xmas decorations and will go away in a couple of days.
I am not using a convential stud wall, it just isn't needed. I'm just using 2"x4"s lagged into the beam above on each side of the block post and a horizontal at the floor and another at the top of the OSB panel (4'). The bottom horizontal and the OSB are both 3/4" above the floor to keep either from absorbing any moisture from the floor. That gap will be closed by a plastic base molding.

[attach]15765[/attach]
My 510 is happily making sawdust. :)
The door in that wall will be a 4 foot door on the right side of that post at the far right. Then after the door is about another 5' of wall. The top half of the wall will just be some heavy, ultra clear vinyl sheeting. I have used it before for such things and it works very well. If I get into it with a board replacement is quick, easy and cheap. It is surprisingly tough stuff. The first time I used it I was concerned about dust and static but it has never been a problem. I realize that I could gain wall hanging space if the wall was solid all the way up but I am very claustrophobic and wanted to be able to see across the basements.

[attach]15766[/attach]
Not sure where the light splotches came from in the upper part of this pic.
Since I have not done the tool storage bit yet I just piled a batch of small tools around a post. It is all going to be happening fairly quickly now that the bulk of what does not belong has gone away. I still have an awfully lot of stuff to move from the other shop yet and today's snow will not help that. I may have to adjust my deadline again. :D

More pictures to follow as it progresses.

Attachments
Woodshop wall1.JPG
Woodshop wall1.JPG (135.69 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
Woodshop wall2.JPG
Woodshop wall2.JPG (126.98 KiB) Viewed 2375 times
Woodshop wall3.JPG
Woodshop wall3.JPG (125 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I see the makings of a great shop area developing. You have much more room, especially head room, than I normally associate with a basement.

I wish we were close enough that I could come there to be your go-pher.

Some of the walls appear to be damp. Is moisture in the walls a potential problem?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:I see the makings of a great shop area developing. You have much more room, especially head room, than I normally associate with a basement.

I wish we were close enough that I could come there to be your go-pher.

Some of the walls appear to be damp. Is moisture in the walls a potential problem?

The walls are stained but dry. They became stained when my parents were still living here and the basement was neither heated nor air conditioned. The staining was from condensation rather than infiltration. My father used to run a dehumidifier in it but after he died my mother refused to run it. Since we have lived here we have heated it and ran the dehumidifier. In more recent years we have also air conditioned it which keeps it quite dry. As I put up my wall system for tool hanging (starting tonight or tomorrow) I am installing 1/2" sheet foam insulation behind it "just in case" to be sure there is no moisture migration or condensation into the wall panels. It is the blue stuff in the background of the last picture.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Here is a shot of the full length of the new wall. It's 26' long counting the 4' doorway.
I see that I should have turned more lights back on before taking the picture. I need to get the window area done now and close the part above the beam so I can keep the dust out of the rest of the house as I work on the shop.

[ATTACH]15769[/ATTACH]

Here it is better equipped. :D
[ATTACH]15770[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Woodshop wall4.JPG
Woodshop wall4.JPG (103.05 KiB) Viewed 2349 times
Woodshop wall5.JPG
Woodshop wall5.JPG (121.31 KiB) Viewed 2353 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

I admire your efforts and have enjoyed watching the process. Lots of great info and very entertaining to boot! Keep it coming!
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
mrhart
Platinum Member

Post by mrhart »

Being an HVAC guy, I see the supply and return ducting, are you going to tap off those for heat or did you come up with a separate source?
R Hart