Back at the shop move...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

OMG - green grass. I was in Omaha Nebraska (no, maybe it was Cedar Rapids, Iowa) the last time I saw real green grass. Where ever, it has been a long time.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:OMG - green grass. I was in Omaha Nebraska (no, maybe it was Cedar Rapids, Iowa) the last time I saw real green grass. Where ever, it has been a long time.
Farmer: I think you did indeed do good a half century ago! But then she was/is a farm gal!

Dusty: The corn leaves are even darker green! Grass here is 'Blue'!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dusty wrote:OMG - green grass. I was in Omaha Nebraska (no, maybe it was Cedar Rapids, Iowa) the last time I saw real green grass. Where ever, it has been a long time.

As I recall the last time I was in Tuscon (1959 I think) a lot of folks were spreading crushed copper ore on their front lawns and letting it turn green... Do they still do that?
We were looking at real estate investment properties but none of what we looked at had yards like that.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

robinson46176 wrote:As I recall the last time I was in Tuscon (1959 I think) a lot of folks were spreading crushed copper ore on their front lawns and letting it turn green... Do they still do that?
We were looking at real estate investment properties but none of what we looked at had yards like that.

I don't think that they used crushed copper ore anymore. It would not be green if they did]15641[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15642[/ATTACH]
Attachments
back yard 007 (Custom).JPG
back yard 007 (Custom).JPG (117.88 KiB) Viewed 2214 times
back yard 009 (Custom).JPG
back yard 009 (Custom).JPG (153.88 KiB) Viewed 2212 times
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:As I recall the last time I was in Tuscon (1959 I think) a lot of folks were spreading crushed copper ore on their front lawns and letting it turn green... Do they still do that?

I have never understood the mentality that thinks since you do not have grass to mow, that raking gravel is an intelligent thing to consider.:eek::D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I don't think that they used crushed copper ore anymore. It would not be green if they did] turquoise[/B]. However, there are many places, like golf courses, where they spray something on to make the area green.

One could plant grass if one really wanted green lawn but the water bill would be astronomical.
More like blue grass?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

JPG40504 wrote:More like blue grass?:D
That's what Kentucky race horses eat, right?
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

we now have about 50 acres in grass. We mow about 6 to 8 acres of it weekly except during hard drought and winter. Some of the rest gets cut at about 2 week intervals and some gets cut monthly. There is a few acres of woods that never gets cut and I rarely mow anything at the little mini-farm over in the next county. My wife does a lot of the "lawn" mowing and some of the barn lots. With high gas prices it gets pretty $$$$y. Just part of a horse farm. :)
Our son gets in on it too now and then, usually using my 6' mower and his tractor.
It keeps us from running the streets. ;)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Farmer, do ya cut the grass at the proper height of 3 inches? :)
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

beeg wrote:Farmer, do ya cut the grass at the proper height of 3 inches? :)

Much of the lowest cut grass is cut with 2 lawn tractors, a Yardman (bought new "very" cheaply) and a John Deere. We run them with the decks as high as they will lift. I believe it is around 3". I also mow part of it with a 5' finish mower behind my TO-20 Ferguson tractor. I keep it sat at the same cutting height as the lawn tractors. Most of what we cut with the 6' mower is about 2"s taller than the rest.
I really love looking out across the farm when everything is green and freshly cut. I also have a Farmall Cub with a 42" belly mower but I rarely mow with it since I got the 5' finish mower.

Side note on the 5' finish mower... I bought it used along with a little Yanmar Diesel tractor. The tractor was horrible for me to climb on and off of and I could not sit on it and swivel around to look back. I sold just the tractor for more than I had in the tractor and mower both. The mower had a couple of bad bearings in it. When I dismantled the quill assemblies I discovered that its quill bearings are exactly the same size as the drive sleeve bearings on a Mark V Shopsmith. I had kept the used bearings from the 2 SS rebuilds (just in case) and they have been happily spinning away in the 5' finish mower ever since. :)

On that Yardman mower... I had been watching it sit at Wal-mart marked at full price and not being sold. It was a twin cylinder 22 HP unit. When I inquired about it I was told that it had been sold and stopped running for the customer on its first tank of gas. They had given the customer a new mower to replace it and sent it to the "professional mechanic" that does their work. He could not get it to run so they just shoved it back at the store. I asked if they would reduce it "substantially" if I took it the way it was with out any warranty. The girl took off to ask the manager and when she came back she said "he just wants it to go away... If you will give him $500 for it it is yours..." Since I already had a suspicion as to what was wrong with it I grabbed it and ran. :) I took it home and completely filled the one-half full fuel tank. It started right up and I have been using it for several years now. I had noticed that the half filled tank was right at the same level as the carburetor and it had ran until it got that low. It apparently had a bit of crud (technical term :) ) under a check valve in the fuel pump which is not uncommon with those and the crud had finally washed out after I ran another half tank of fuel through it. I have never had any more trouble with its running at all.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson