Back at the shop move...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Finally got back to the "hole" for the basement woodshop this weekend. I've been running a little slow since the stupid fall. Healing but still a lot of pain in the shoulder.
Our son brought home a mini-excavator again and started on it Saturday evening and finished up Sunday morning. With the excavator doing the work and decent weather we went ahead and dug the whole little walk-out. The "hole" is about 8' deep and about 14' wide at the bottom and extends out from the house about 11'. That doesn't count the slanted side wall area. The top of the hole is a good bit bigger. I decided to make one wall almost vertical so I can get close enough to the door for hoisting loads with a tractor loader or lift boom. It will get a concrete block wall that will slant slightly back as it goes up. The wall that is parallel to the house will be block about 4' up then the upper part that slants back at about a 45 degree angle will be just laid with flat flagstone. The right side is all at about a 45 degree angle and except for the stairway will be laid with flat flagstone. The bottom will be fairly deep compacted crushed limestone after I get some more drain tile installed.
The door into the basement will be at the left side of the hole near the more vertical wall.
There is enough fall away from the house that with the top of the hole beveled back I will be able to be in the basement and see across the yard and through the trees through the window in the door which is what I wanted.
While the mini was on hand I did some surface drainage work on a couple of horse lots and just before dark we got an underground conduit installed for an electric line from one building to another.
I also got about 4,000 feet of electric horse fence installed this past week. Still doing a lot of sorting and shuffling...
[ATTACH]15204[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]15205[/ATTACH]

Attachments
Basement walk out 1.JPG
Basement walk out 1.JPG (82.14 KiB) Viewed 2558 times
Basement walkout 2.JPG
Basement walkout 2.JPG (145.24 KiB) Viewed 2565 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

It has been a busy week. Sadly only a little of it has been spent on the shop. Mostly working on getting the horse boarding ready for the rest of the winter. That and helping Diana get the house ready for Christmas as well as some Christmas shopping. Still had a bit of final work on the library project.
On the up side Saturday afternoon I actually started moving some tools! :cool:
I backed one of the pickups back to the existing shop door and started loading some tools in the back and hauled them to the house and carried them into the basement and stacked them in a cleared area. Now I will haul a load of basement stored stuff to the other building then haul a load of tools back. And on and on for about 10 loads each way. Actually moving a load of tools in was a bit of a spirit lifter. :cool:
I hope to get the wall separating the woodshop from the rest of the basement built in the next few days so I can work on the rest of the shop without getting sawdust all over the house.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:It has been a busy week. Sadly only a little of it has been spent on the shop. Mostly working on getting the horse boarding ready for the rest of the winter. That and helping Diana get the house ready for Christmas as well as some Christmas shopping. Still had a bit of final work on the library project.
On the up side Saturday afternoon I actually started moving some tools! :cool:
I backed one of the pickups back to the existing shop door and started loading some tools in the back and hauled them to the house and carried them into the basement and stacked them in a cleared area. Now I will haul a load of basement stored stuff to the other building then haul a load of tools back. And on and on for about 10 loads each way. Actually moving a load of tools in was a bit of a spirit lifter. :cool:
I hope to get the wall separating the woodshop from the rest of the basement built in the next few days so I can work on the rest of the shop without getting sawdust all over the house.

Only 10 (TEN) trips?:D Must be a BIG pickup truck.:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

JPG40504 wrote:Only 10 (TEN) trips?:D Must be a BIG pickup truck.:rolleyes:

The stuff that gets moved to the "carpentry shop" in the farm shop (one corner of 36' x 50' barn) is not getting moved yet. That is maybe 2 smaller trips. :)
Also I was not thinking of packing tight or stacking high since it is such a short distance.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:The stuff that gets moved to the "carpentry shop" in the farm shop (one corner of 36' x 50' barn) is not getting moved yet. That is maybe 2 smaller trips. :)
Also I was not thinking of packing tight or stacking high since it is such a short distance.

Yer hammers are a load by themselves.!:)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Becoming acquainted with a basement shop problem that I anticipated but not in December. :) It was too hot in there to work comfortably at 6AM this morning. It was 55 degrees outside so with the wood furnace running a tiny fire to keep it going the basement woodshop area is 76 degrees... :eek:
Not bad if you are sitting in a chair but too hot for working comfortably.
The furnace has two 8" outlets, one is piped into the cold air side of the old gas furnace (now serving as an air handler) and the other is just blowing out across the larger basement. That second line will be piped out of the woodshop as soon as I get the wall up. If that is not enough to keep it cooler than everything else I will need to run some electric heat and let the furnace go out during such mild weather.
I could also convert the old gas furnace (still a good furnace) over to LP and set a smallish tank (maybe 100 gallons) to use it in mild weather.
The longer term plan is to replace the entire heating system with a well zoned hydronic system. That will solve a lot of very minor things and simplify the whole process.
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I got going more in the existing woodshop today. I boxed up about 8 or 9 boxes of hand tools etc. Hand tools get danged heavy. The boxes averaged about 40 to 50 pounds each. I also loaded a batch of various power tools that are in their own cases like sanders and Roto-Zip type tools etc. I hauled them all to the house and carried them down the old outside stairs to the basement. Somehow such things turn into work these days.
That all pretty much took most of the late morning and my morning supply of energy. :rolleyes:
This afternoon I carried a dozen old computer monitors and 4 old printers out of the basement to the truck. They are all doomed. :) I also made a stack of odd stuff that will "go away" one way or the other. One of my grandmothers owned a variety store in Indy for 17 years before my grandfathers health went south. She hoped to reopen it someday so her stock was stored here, some in the basement and some in another building. My grandfather never got better and died a few years later. By that time my grandmother's health went bad and she passed away in a few years. Over the years much of the inventory was sold at yard sales and some was given away. What is left would now fit in about 3 or 4 wheelbarrow loads. I had just left it sitting because I didn't really need that space but it is all going now...
After carting those monitors up the stairs and out to the truck I was pretty much done for the afternoon. Dang I must be getting old. :rolleyes:
I finally recovered enough to go out and cut and put up another last minute Christmas tree. When Diana was growing up her dad used to go out in the woods there and cut a small Juniper tree for Christmas each year. For the last few years since we have had the room we have tried to cut one and decorate it with some antique decorations we have, kind of in his honor. He was a good guy. This one is about 6'.
The only problem with a Juniper for a Christmas tree is that you say ouch a lot. Really eats your fingers up. :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

It seems that my left knee really didn't like the heavy carrying of stuff up and down the outside basement stairs that I described in the last post... Between it, my still healing shoulder and Christmas activities I have only gotten some little stuff done on the shop move.
I also took time out to install a treated wood well pit for the well down the road that serves most of the horses. It isn't "finished" but far enough along to get by even for the rest of the winter if need be.
Diana and I worked down there for a short time yesterday just sorting some stuff and planning.
I think my next item to move is some metal shelves and 2 big crude shelves on heavy casters that we originally bought to use back when we had a booth in a local indoor flea-market. They are each 3' wide and about 2' deep and 6' tall. I am not sure that they will even be permanent fixtures in the shop but for now they will let me get stuff up out of boxes on the floor and pretend that I am getting organized. :)
I want this move basically done by the time we have a little annual gathering on the second Saturday in January. Not fully finished of course (that will never happen) but stuff basically in place and all of the stuff that does not belong gone.

There is going to be one really great improvement in this basement shop over any other shop I have had... Lack of moisture condensing on tools and the resulting rust. Stuff never sweats in the basement since it is always at about the same temp. It isn't the moisture level that is the problem it is the swinging temps that cause the condensation and accompanying rust. That was brought home when I was boxing up a lot of stuff that I don't use often like stored saw blades etc. I also fight those same problems in the farm shop where it might be 70 one day and 20 the next. Of course you can wipe with oil or wax and help a lot but the shear volume of stuff involved makes that impractical at times. If I really worked on that I wouldn't get anything else done. I stay very busy with the horses, the horse clients, still working on the boot shop as well as rental properties and farm buildings. :eek:
I can sit a bare polished metal item down somewhere in the basement and it just does not rust. That is going to be nice. :cool:
Speaking of stored saw blades, many of mine were sitting on shelves and some hanging up. When I started boxing them I went looking for something to put between them. I spotted a stack of old files that were over 7 years old that I was going to burn. I dumped the contents out of a bunch of file folders and tore them in half along the bottom. They worked great by placing a half between each blade as I stacked them in the box. If I were storing them semi-permanently I would spray a little oil on them as I stacked them.

Time to go get started again...

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Still chugging along pretty much on schedule on the shop move. Nothing dramatic happening, just grunt work. I keep getting interrupted with horse jobs but I had factored that in ahead. Just part of it.
My self sat deadline (which I usually try to not set) is still going OK but is not critical and if I miss it, no big deal. One of those "it would be nice" things.
I believe that I am going to pull the way-tube tie-bars on the Mark V's and slip the headstocks off to move them. Of course I can't do that on the 10-ER but I may drop the motor. On the Mark VII I may just throw all 4 of the latches at the pivots and move it in two pieces.
I'm going to make a pair of temporary 8' rails of some sort to attach to the sides of the SS's to make them easier for 2 people to carry them down the kind of narrow old outside stairs and through the old basement passage to the new part. I may just use a couple of 2"x4"s with one clamped to each side of the unit with a web clamp so they can be carried like a 2 man sedan chair. :) I'll see if my son can help me with the most heavy stuff this weekend. Its just a few pieces.

OK, back at it... :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I finally got the 2 old roll-around stands that I originally bought at and for a flea-market where we used to keep a booth, emptied off yesterday and moved them in the truck as far as the patio where the old entrance to the old basement is.
(I think that this picture is 2 years old)
[ATTACH]15640[/ATTACH]

Today I told Diana that as soon as I got them down in the shop I was going to cut about the top 2' off of them because they were well over 6' tall and I didn't want or need them that tall. She thought a second and said "Why don't you cut it off out here so they will be easier to move down through the old basement?"
I knew there was a reason I picked her out of a crowd 50 years ago... :o :D
Some days I am faster than others. :)
Attachments
IMGP0849.JPG
IMGP0849.JPG (73.27 KiB) Viewed 2370 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson