Back at the shop move...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Only got my hole about half dug yesterday due to the intermittent rains that popped up. It was twice as annoying since the radar kept saying it wasn't raining. :rolleyes: Still not a real problem since other than predicting rain all day today, some heavy, they have taken the ones they were predicting for the last half of the week away for now.
If it does rain most of the day today there is still plenty I can do. Lots and lots of sorting and packing for moving stuff both ways. I also need to relocate the boot shop equipment to the space it will occupy until at least next spring. Then the space where it is now sitting will be open for storage of other "stuff".

Initially I am only going to move 5 of the Shopsmiths to the basement shop. My 510, the Mark VII, the 2 Mark V's that I rebuilt and painted and the 10-ER. The "Push me - pull me" drill press almost counts as 2 but is just one machine. I suspect that it will be kind of awkward to move.
My TS-3650 moves to the basement shop and it will be a little awkward to move. So will my Foley/Belsaw planer/molder/ripsaw and the no-name 6" long bed jointer. All are fairly heavy and none of those 3 lend themselves well to slinging and hoisting, all are a little top-heavy. Wheels are only moderately useful going down a steep incline. :eek:
SS SPT's and stuff like the scrollsaw, sanders and other smaller tools are just carry in items and not much of a problem.
It all really makes me wish this was a full walk-out basement. :rolleyes: It would be so much easier.

I really expect this to be my last major woodshop move which is one reason that I have spent so much time and effort laboring over choices and details.
Today or tomorrow I need to help Diana a little to get ready for a great-grandchild invasion Thursday evening. I think that there are 10 or 11 of them but I lose count. :D Part of the basement not going into woodshop gets temporarily walled off into a carpeted playroom for them on Thanksgiving and Christmas. The grand-kids are all grown or teenagers.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Today I got the area where the boot shop goes cleared out and and cleaned up a little. Got 5 machines moved to it and a bunch of other stuff shifted around. Two of those stitching machines I moved weigh around 600 pounds each and I swear that somebody had glued them to the floor. :rolleyes: Either that or somebody has been messing with the gravity controls. Moving those to where they belong frees up the space where they have been sitting for some of the "stuff" still in the new basement woodshop. One less shuffle later.
We were having trouble getting motivated well this morning due to the weather gloom so we took a 2 hour lunch break and hit one of my favorite buffets for a bite. It is the Sirloin Stockade on US 31 on the north edge of Columbus IN, about 25 miles south west of here. After that I had to work hard for a while just out of guilt. :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
bffulgham
Gold Member

Post by bffulgham »

Francis......
I get so tired thinking about you digging, moving, moving, digging...... I just wear myself plumb out and have to take a nap.

I do, however, understand the farm building shuffle. I'm trying to clean out 50+ years of accumulation from 2 box-cars, a storage building, a garage, and the house where I grew up. Still don't have my reloading equipment (along with a bunch of shooting related stuff), welding/metal-work equipment, and yadda...yadda....yadda, moved over here. Gosh, another nap is coming on :rolleyes:
Bud F.
1998 Mark V 510 bought used 2006, Jointer, 2 Bandsaws, ca 1960 Yuba SawSmith RAS
Projects and "stuff": http://www.bfulgham.com/JAlbum/Woodworking_Index/
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bffulgham wrote:Francis......
I get so tired thinking about you digging, moving, moving, digging...... I just wear myself plumb out and have to take a nap.

I do, however, understand the farm building shuffle. I'm trying to clean out 50+ years of accumulation from 2 box-cars, a storage building, a garage, and the house where I grew up. Still don't have my reloading equipment (along with a bunch of shooting related stuff), welding/metal-work equipment, and yadda...yadda....yadda, moved over here. Gosh, another nap is coming on :rolleyes:
Quit reading Farmer's posts, napping and 'get busy'!:D I should talk!:o
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

In that building where I want to put the boot shop next spring/summer the part at the right in that picture was my fathers rock shop. He was a very active amateur geologist. He collected rocks and fossils from all over the US. Many of them are still in that building, mostly in big show-cases. He died in 1993 and suffered dementia for about 5 years prior to that. I have no idea what I am going to do with all those rock and fossil samples, hundreds and hundreds of pounds of them. Nothing valuable there but I don't want to just fill a mud-hole with them. I haven't needed the building all that bad so I have just let it sit. :rolleyes:
Maybe I will build a fireplace out of them.
Waaaay too much "stuff" around here... :)
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I didn't do an update last night about moving stuff. I had a good productive day but when I stopped I was just too pooped to post. :)
One machine (called a finisher) I moved is around 600 pounds and is a bit over 8' long. The "old" ones used to run 10' or 11' long. Lots of cast iron in the old ones. The old ones ran from a 1 5/16" line shaft along the bottom powered by a huge motor and drove the upper sections with about 2.5" wide flat belts controlled by fairly heavy hand clutches. This one is much newer and drives from 5 individual motors. Still very heavy. :rolleyes: I had about 350 pounds of various presses and special tools stored on top of it that I had to remove and put "someplace" else first. Lots of sorting and moving of other stuff.
With all of this hard work I still have not gotten an actual start on moving the woodshop yet other than to shuffle a lot of stuff around to make room for the boot shop stuff and to sort the woodshop stuff into groups.
Rain is still holding off until Saturday so I hope to finish the "hole" for the basement access Friday. Resting today with only minimal work getting accomplished. Once the "hole" happens the actual woodshop move should go quickly. The move, not full organization... :rolleyes: Still, once it is here in the basement I can run down and work on it in any weather and at any time. It should move along quickly because I love doing that kind of work. Sometimes I enjoy it so much I feel a little guilty... :)

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

You made the statement you wished you had a walk out basement somewhere in all of this. And your digging a hole to get to your foundation wall. Why not go ahead and make a walk out door? You may need to make the hole a little larger but should not be a real problem.

If you do make sure you put in good drainage. I had a walk out and in the winter if filled with snow. In the spring when the snow melted accompanied with a good rain there was a lot of water going down that drain.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I am guessing that once that stuff is moved in, he will not make it captive by plugging the hole!:eek:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

You are probably right and I have jumped to a wrong conclusiong. Somehow I got the idea he was digging a pit type hole instead of a walk out type hole.

I don't know where the idea came from but from rereading the thread I'm now fairly certain that he is in fact digging a walkout the he intends to finish in the spring.

One thing living in Florida I long for the basements of up north. My last house with a basement was clear area of 54x32. I had a shop that was 16x27ft and a walk out stairs large enough I could bring in my fishing boat for winter refitting. Sat in that shop many a night fixing something, making a projects or making fishing lures and dreaming of spring.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Right... The "hole" will be a 4' x 6'8" door. :)
Got back to digging today after a half day errand. Didn't go well... I have dug a lot of holes in my life. Some by hand, a lot of by machine including some ponds. I don't believe that I have ever seen a patch of ground with that many roots in it. Not too surprising, there are several 50+ year old tulip poplars only about 25' away. Spent a lot of time chopping roots then things went wrong. :eek: That was after I found a small concrete foundation that has been buried there for maybe 75 years about 10" under ground and totally unknown to me or any of my family. When things went wrong it was just my clumsiness. I was digging away like some kind of happy fool and really wishing I was still a little younger. Then I snagged the toe of my waffle-stomper on "something" invisible... :rolleyes:
I did some kind of pole vault move over the shovel and was suddenly headed toward the house at something like the speed of light. Having cat like reflexes and all of that and being a quick thinker I thought on the way down that maybe I should aim for something as soft as I could find. Fortunately I spotted the nice soft concrete block foundation and headed for that... I was almost horizontal when I put my right arm out in front of me trying to grab onto the safety bar on the side of the house... No, wait, there is no safety bar on the side of the house. What followed was a hard landing, the ripping of a lot of muscle tissue and what sounded like a lot of profanity coming from somewhere.
I'm actually OK but I think my best digging shoulder is going to be operating pretty slow. I guess I will ask my son to bring home one of the mini-excavators and finish digging it for me. If it ends up muddy I have a large quantity (as in about 10 tri-axle loads) of composted wood chips and I can haul some to there and cover the mud.
Oh, well... (shrug).

--
farmer
Francis Robinson