Back at the shop move...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

Back at the shop move...

Post by robinson46176 »

Just finished a very nice visit from my only sibling (slightly older sister) from Pensacola who flew up Wednesday. We dropped her off at the airport (Indianapolis) yesterday evening and now I am ready to get back at the move. It is probably going to be an exercise in planned chaos.
I'm still sitting here this morning trying to decide exactly where I want to start... The ideal approach would be to remove absolutely everything from the 24' x 40' basement area I am moving it to and then move everything that I am moving from the current shop to the new one. Just not going to happen. :rolleyes: There is still a lot of stuff stacked in one end of the current shop that does not belong there yet (some of it does not belong anywhere). I don't want to spend a lot of time sorting the stuff stored in the basement shop area so I will move most of it into the existing shop with only quick and dirty sorting and sort it later, probably in the spring. I need to store it in that building pretty well compacted since I still want to keep a little shop stuff (extra tablesaw and some carpentry stuff) there for a few months so I can work on that building and the adjoining house. I will also need to be able to move all of the stuff currently stored in that house to the existing shop between now and spring as well. My western boot rebuilding shop will also need a little space there for a few months as well. That building is 1,400 sq. ft. and the boot shop will only need about 200 sq. ft. and is already stored there so it won't be much of a problem except for the energy to move it around. There are at least 4 pieces that weigh in at about 600 awkward pounds each. Hopefully by spring/early summer that whole building will be all storage. I hate to tie it up but it beats renting a storage unit. We are hoping to have a blow-out yard sale or two next spring. You know, one of those where you sell a box full or two of stuff for a buck or less just to get it to a new home without sending it to a landfill. :) We have a lot of stuff, mostly antiques, that we want to Ebay. Our kids are generally not interested in it so we are going to convert much of it into "traveling money".
Over this week I intend to alternate between clearing out some spaces and making a hole in the basement wall so I can move the stuff in directly instead of carrying it through the house (just not practical). I figure that as soon as I get a hammer, my Ridgid TS-3650 tablesaw and a Shopsmith moved in I can start calling it a shop... :D
From humble beginnings I can then move a batch of stuff out to storage and then move a batch of shop stuff into the empty spot it left until it is done. There is an old joke about "How do you carve an elephant?". You get a huge block of stone and chip off everything that does not look like an elephant... I figure that the same rule applies to shops... :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
wiredone
Gold Member

Post by wiredone »

I moved into my current shop a year ago and it's still not done being setup the way I originally intended, as that seems to change every day!
www.wirewerkes.com
Hiding in a Joshua Tree.
SDSSmith
Platinum Member

Post by SDSSmith »

wiredone wrote:I moved into my current shop a year ago and it's still not done being setup the way I originally intended, as that seems to change every day!
wiredone, Welcome to Farmer's world!;)
Rob in San Diego
Email: SDSSmith51 AT gmail.com
dlbristol
Platinum Member

Post by dlbristol »

Dang Francis, I am exhausted and I just read about what you are going to do!!!
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dlbristol wrote:Dang Francis, I am exhausted and I just read about what you are going to do!!!
He ain't gonna DO all of it! Only what he finally(if ever)gets around to(+- mind changing).;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

dlbristol wrote:Dang Francis, I am exhausted and I just read about what you are going to do!!!

I'll get a good chance to rest while I build a new electric fence around a 20 acre field in a few days. :)
This morning I went down to the basement, looked around and said "where did all of this crap come from..." Then I went down to the current shop building and looked around and said "where did all of this crap come from..." :D
I started moving some stuff around and made some storage plans and made a final decision on how I will deal with keeping my boot shop there until spring. In the spring I want to move it to another building I have that is much closer to the house. I will have to wall the boot shop off temporarily so that clients will not see all of our stored "stuff". I also decided on the heating setup for it. I hope to have it moved before AC time. Then I actually moved some stuff around.
By that time it was time for lunch so that saved me from brain burn-out.
When I go back out I'll start digging for the new basement entry. I could wait and have my son bring home a mini excavator to dig it but it is going to start some heavy rain tomorrow and it looks like rain is going to be slow leaving. Also if I dig it by hand and wheelbarrow the dirt away I will not have a lot of loose dirt in the grass to make mud. We can dig out the big part of the hole with a mini or back-hoe next spring and not have so much mud. Today I will just dig about 5' wide and about 6' deep with the yard end being at a 45 degree angle like I was going to pour a regular set of concrete basement steps. I will probably make a set of temporary wooden steps until spring. They will not get frequent use after the move. I'll just use some scrap plywood or OSB at a slant to cover the hole when it rains to avoid accumulating any water in the hole during a down-pour until spring when we finish it.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

[quote="JPG40504"]He ain't gonna DO all of it! Only what he finally(if ever)gets around to(+- mind changing).]

I'm kind of getting beyond the mind changing stage now. :)
I am always surprised at how often after I make 5 U-turns in my planning that I finally end up back at the original plan... :rolleyes:
One of the things that will make the basement wood shop work for me is that I have so much in duplicated tools and equipment that I will be able to have a secondary woodshop in the farm shop which will be mostly a carpentry shop. Then if I want to do something like remodel a travel trailer or build a truck bed I will be able to work on it in that shop or just outside of a door. Doing it like that if I need to make a bunch of special pieces for something I can still do it in the basement shop but save a lot of trips while doing the common stuff.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:I'm kind of getting beyond the mind changing stage now. :)
I am always surprised at how often after I make 5 U-turns in my planning that I finally end up back at the original plan... :rolleyes:
One of the things that will make the basement wood shop work for me is that I have so much in duplicated tools and equipment that I will be able to have a secondary woodshop in the farm shop which will be mostly a carpentry shop. Then if I want to do something like remodel a travel trailer or build a truck bed I will be able to work on it in that shop or just outside of a door. Doing it like that if I need to make a bunch of special pieces for something I can still do it in the basement shop but save a lot of trips while doing the common stuff.

Put one of those extra ss in the farm shop!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

Break time. Just started some light raining.
This is what I was doing a couple of weeks ago (burying a new water line). Behind me is the back side of the building we are going to remodel this spring. The right 2/3rds of it will become the boot shop. I used to have a small excavating business but that mini (not mine) is a lot different from the back-hoe I used to own. Took me a few minutes of using it to adapt to the controls. Nice machine.
[ATTACH]14804[/ATTACH]
Attachments
mini.jpg
mini.jpg (63.55 KiB) Viewed 4713 times
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
mustangpalmer1911
Gold Member

Post by mustangpalmer1911 »

There is so much going on I would not be suprised if I went in my basement in a couple mounts +\- and robinson was moves in!