Muscle Chuck for routers

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Muscle Chuck for routers

Post by ERLover »

Reible/Ed posted about it here this winter, so I got one, my Bosh routers need 2 wrenches to change bits, 1 on the shaft/arbor, and one on the collet, PITB. In his original posting and pics there was some discussion about possible vibration do to the Allen head set screw that does the tightening of the bit, in the instructions they cover that if you have some with the originally way it is put on the router.
Will a few months later, I put mine on, ran there recommended vibration test with a 1/2" straight bit and ran it from slow to high speed setting. No vibration. Then I put on a 2" diam cabinet door coving bit, which by Frueds instruction should be run on a slower speed, and ran it up to high, just holding the router body in my hand, no noticeable vibration.
One thing this chuck does is add extra height to your router shaft compared to its original collet, so you loose some adjustment on your router as far as height/depth goes.
I am happy with it, in an inverted position, ie. a router table you still have to access the set screw from the underside, unless you had an above table lift system to raise it above the insert.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
reible
Platinum Member

Re: Muscle Chuck for routers

Post by reible »

I do add to some threads but I don't think I have a thread on the chuck of which you posted.

Could this be the thread you are speaking of?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... ks#p186730

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

reible wrote:I do add to some threads but I don't think I have a thread on the chuck of which you posted.

Could this be the thread you are speaking of?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/viewt ... ks#p186730

Ed
That does not look familiar, I sure thought you bought one, and we all discused vibration, JPG was heavy on it, and it was this winter. I sure thought it was you the "tool" junkie. :) There was even pics posted on it by who ever. Or Ed, have you bought so many things, loosing track????? :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Ah, yes Ed, that was the one, and I stand corrected, it was NOT you, it was Berry that started the thread.
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Well today I FINALLY used it on wood, hard Mable 1/4" round over bit on my MLCS router table, sure is easier lifting a Rockler table then mine, I did a report on here comparing the 2 tables and fences also.
To the point I took 2 passes on the pieces, using a new Bosh 1617EVS which I have 1617 a make shift table in the other place.
No vibration with the Muscle Chuck much easier to tight bit with just an Allen wrench then the 2 wrenches.
FWIW
ERLover
Platinum Member

Post by ERLover »

Well Ive been making chips and dust the past 10 days, using my router table a lot, I have a Bosh in it, they still dont do an Arbor lock so a 2 wrench operation, BUT with the Muscle Chuck just an Allen wrench. Love it, no vibration issues, as of yet but not been using any larger Diam bits. Again I will say it adds height to your original Chuck so you do loose some variation in over all height adjustment, but I have not found that to be an issue for what I have been doing with it.