making the feature ring

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

wa2crk
Platinum Member

making the feature ring

Post by wa2crk »

OK Gang here goes. This will probably not be perfect but I will try my best
I have been asked several questions as to how I went about cutting the angles for the Chevron Bowl. This project was in response to a challenge put to me by an acquaintance who didn't think that the angled could all be made on a Shopsmith. I got some information from a you tube video but one word of caution about You Tube videos. They often leave out pertinent information like dimensions.
The first step is to construct the feature ring by gluing a strip of paudauk between two strips of yellow heart for contrast. The yellow heart strips have to be about four times wider than the paudauk piece. Any narrower the peaks will be cut off in subsequent cuts. For an 8” diameter bowl the circumference will be about 24 inches and for a twelve segment ring 2” segments are required. But in this case the feature strip has to be cut into 24 one inch wide pieces. The pieces are cut at a 30 deg angle and then re assembled and inverting every other piece to form the chevron. It helps to number each piece as it comes off the saw. You should have 12 two inch wide segments glued with the points together.
feature ring  preparation.jpg
feature ring preparation.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 7207 times
More to come
Bill V
charlesw
Silver Member

Re: making the feature ring

Post by charlesw »

Thanks for sharing. Very nice job!
I have done a couple segmented bowls, but your precision amazes me. I will say that each time I learn something about turning and gluing.
Charles
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Charlesw
This whole exercise was to prove a point to another woodworker that precision work can be done on a SS
Bill V
jsburger
Platinum Member

Post by jsburger »

wa2crk wrote:Charlesw
This whole exercise was to prove a point to another woodworker that precision work can be done on a SS
Bill V
:D :D :D
John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT