Woverine tools part 1 and 2 have arrived.

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

reible
Platinum Member

Woverine tools part 1 and 2 have arrived.

Post by reible »

I have decided to purchase rather then make the Eddie C or Dave E or King H jigs. I like Oneway tools so this is the route I'm on. I received basic jig and I have the vari-grind 2 attachment.

WARNING potential sticker shock. If you think the price is going to cause you distress please don't view the two links. You have been warned.

For reference here is a site showing the jig:

http://www.amazon.com/Oneway-2291-Wolve ... verine+jig

and the vari-grind 2:

http://www.amazon.com/Oneway-Wolverine- ... verine+jig

I still have more things I want to get like at least one CBN wheel and possibly a second one at a later time. The skew jig looks helpful as does the wheel dressing attachment (not needed if I get a CBN wheel).

I plan to start with doing a drawing of the shopsmith and see how well the specifications they have for placement can be adapted for use as left side with a narrow mount on the tubes.

If this is sound familiar it should, just a couple of weeks ago there was this post:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maint ... 17673.html

There can be little doubt that the basic jig will mount but once the vari-grind 2 comes along it needs to be able to do the wings of the chisels and there might be a swing issue. If mounted on the right the extension of the quill might be an option but not an option on the left side.

I have a grinder that I can use so one way (yes you can enjoy the pun) or the other but for those who might like this method I will test it out and let you know.

If it warms like they are saying I might be able to prototype it this weekend, time will tell and then of course there is unexpected things that come up like having to go grandchild sit for a sick one tomorrow morning for a few hours. Hope I don't catch what ever he has...........

So stay tune to this thread.

Ed
{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]
thunderbirdbat
Platinum Member

Re: Woverine tools part 1 and 2 have arrived.

Post by thunderbirdbat »

I thought I saw a link for the Oneway system for a lower price at Woodturners Catalog in the topic What I learned have from the search bar post. I was not paying much attention as this is a future want list item if I decide I want to turn.

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/woodw ... 17731.html
Brenda

1998 510 upgraded to a 520, upgraded to power pro with double tilt and lift assist.
1998 bandsaw
2016 beltsander
jointer
overarm pin router
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

The links are to a common place where one can look to see what the jigs look like it is not in anyway a link to the best prices or values. I paid less for both of my items. I had been shopping around and had discounts and free shipping that have since expired.

The links I pick are in a hope that if someone comes upon this post 3 years from now they can still see the jigs, the price will who knows how or where that will go.

For a reference I posted a thread about a router that seemed like a good price, it can be seen here:

http://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/gener ... 17622.html

In that case I included the link to the deal and prices. It is/was a one off sale so when they sold out they sold out and if someone finds that thread in a year or two well it will have expired. As of now that link is still current.

In all cases you need to do your homework and shop around if you want a deal and sometimes that means waiting for it to appear...... or just deciding you want the item now and pay what ever.

Also remember it is not the cost of just the item but things like shipping and taxes and the like figure in so again do your home work.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

So while I still am waiting on my CBN wheel (it is on order) I went ahead and explored how one might mount this jig on the shopsmiths left end. As we all know having a sharpener to touch up tools while turning is nice.... well unless you are using carbide tools.

Now I don't have an issue with using my grinder or even setting up a second shopsmith for this duty but just because I'm interested I went ahead and built a holder for the possibility of using it as shown.
IMG_0987sc.jpg
IMG_0987sc.jpg (147.63 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
This would be fine for doing things like pens or bowls but for longer turning you will always have to loose some length due to having this mounted. This is what it looks like when slid all the way to the left. Again this was done without the wheel so it might take a bit more room then shown to center the wheel over the jig.
IMG_0988sc.jpg
IMG_0988sc.jpg (158.27 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
They have a couple of dimensions that they want, one is to have the shaft center to the base of their jig at between 6-1/2" and 6-1/4" in the vertical direction. This design uses 6-1/2. They also want a certain distance from the center line of the wheel to the front of the mounting jig in the horizontal direction. I'm not sure why that is but I did the design to meet that number.

It is made as a single glue up of plywood then drilled and finally ripped into a top and bottom half. A single screw clamps it to the tubes and allows the positioning that is required. When the wheel arrives I will have a better idea of how this will work.
IMG_0993sc.jpg
IMG_0993sc.jpg (135.59 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
IMG_0994sc.jpg
IMG_0994sc.jpg (104.62 KiB) Viewed 3921 times
I have a plan to add a wide dowel that will touch the headstock to position the jig under the wheel but I'll wait until the CBN wheel arrived and I can check out how that might work.

So for now this is done.

Ed
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

My new CBN wheel is here.

I got a call that my grinding wheel had arrived so I went and picked it up yesterday. This was my first actual look at one up close and personal.

The first think I noticed was how heavy it was. I didn't get a scale out but it has to be at least 5 pounds.

I know this maybe new to a lot of you, especially people who don't turn, but I'm not going to inundate you with facts and flash but just give you a few details and then if it catches your interest go to the web and find some experts inform you.

First CBN is Cubic Boron Nitride, yea its easier to say and to write CBN. They are unlike normal grinding wheels because they are a steel wheel and the coating is put on electroplating. You have a wheel that never need dressing and they are just about perfectly balanced. They don't explode so that worry is gone and they don't give off all that grinding dust like a normal grind wheel does.

The one I got is from Woodcraft and they retail for about $150 but if you wait for a sale you can get them cheaper which is what I did. The prices for these run a pretty good range and this is on the bottom side.

It is 1" wide and has a 3/4" strip on the flat side. Regular grinding wheel should never have the side used for grinding, there are special wheels designed for this but normal ones are not. Think of sharpening drill bits or the likes. It is 8" in diameter and will stay that way.

From what I have heard the steel wheel works like a heat sink so it is very hard to get tools hot. There are less sparks because you are not loosing part of the wheel when sharpening. You can get a good edge with minimal effort and by taking off less metal from your tools.

This one mounts on a 5/8" shaft so that eliminates having to find bushings to get it to fit. It seems to be a nice fit on the 5/8" universal arbor.

Now you can wreck these so keep that in mind I plan to use it for tool steel lathe chisels only.

I'm playing with this idea of using it on the shopsmith but I may actally find a home for it on my 8" variable speed grinder at some point. Right now I'm just playing with it because I still haven't spent the money for new lathe chisels. Figured it was better to get a sharpener before I get the tools so I can sharpen them when I get them.

I did take a couple of pictures.
IMG_1027sc.jpg
IMG_1027sc.jpg (106.86 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
IMG_1028sc.jpg
IMG_1028sc.jpg (118.09 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
And as you can see here I need to trim a bit off my mount so the wheel is centered on the diamond shape below. It looks like about a 1/4" or so.
IMG_1029sc.jpg
IMG_1029sc.jpg (141.58 KiB) Viewed 3823 times
This is going on hold for the next while because I have other things that are now stacked above it on my todo list. It will be next month before I can get any lathe tools so there is no rush on the grinder.

Ed
ERLover
Platinum Member
Location: Greenie and Goldie Country not to metion the WI Badgers!

Post by ERLover »

Ya Ya Ya, you just wanted to show that Power Pro Control pad off :cool:
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE EQUALS WISDOM. Albert Einstein
The Greatness officially starts :D :D :D :D :D :D
Greenie, Grayling, SS stand alone BS and BS SPT, jointer and belt sander, 3 Ers with Speed Changers. I think those 3 cover my ER needs, and space for them. :)
BuckeyeDennis
Platinum Member

Post by BuckeyeDennis »

It looks to be a dandy handle for rotating the spindle. And a heck of a flywheel.

What's the max RPM on those? I'm just wondering if you would have to dismount it at higher spindle speeds.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

BuckeyeDennis wrote:It looks to be a dandy handle for rotating the spindle. And a heck of a flywheel.

What's the max RPM on those? I'm just wondering if you would have to dismount it at higher spindle speeds.
How does 3600 rpm sound, heck one of these would be quite the flywheel......... If it would be necessary to take off it is mounted on an arbor so its just a set screw away.

Ed