Power pro noise

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

Bobbymike
Bronze Member

Power pro noise

Post by Bobbymike »

My power pro on my mark 7 has a loud clanking noise on starting and a rattling noise thereafter. It is worse when something is attached with inertia such as a lathe chuck or a sanding disc. It is worse at lower speeds. This is a problem for doing turning, since you use a chuck and lower speeds then and any vibrations interfere with smooth turning. I have attached a typical video of the problem. Does anyone use a power pro for turning and have you experienced this problem? This is the second power pro that did this for me (SS replaced the first one).
Bobbymike
Bronze Member

Re: Power pro noise

Post by Bobbymike »

A typical start and run video is on utube as: shopsmith power pro noise.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
RFGuy
Platinum Member

Post by RFGuy »

Is it possible the rattling noise is because the drive belt is too tight? I don't have a PowerPro, but this previous thread may be of interest to you. Also, double-check all of the set screws on drive hubs, etc. Some of those have come loose on the PowerPro for some forum members:

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/wood ... 16698.html

https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... 23161.html
📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

My system does a similar thing. It looks like that what you have mounted in the chuck may be a bit out of balance. The noise in mine seems to come from some play in the jumbo jaws and there some slack that has to be taken up. I have not had a problem with finishing any work as a result. Because of the power pro make sure that all set screws are tight. I was using tailstock support when I started a recent bowl job and the set screw that holds the eccentric in the tailstock worked loose. So did the ones in the Penn State L5818 adaptor two of them in the jumbo jaws and two in the carrier jaws of the chuck. I have also had the the set screw in the saw blade arbor work loose ( a first ) as well as the hubs on the shafts on the left side of the headstock. The adaptor on the auxiliary shaft was powering the jointer when it loosened up. I thought the system was bogging down when the jointer slowed during use but it was the loose set screw that caused the problem. I replaced the saw blade screw with one of the ones that Shopsmith includes with the help package that has some red thread locker on them which seems to have cured the problem. Wonder if SS could provide them because I am not able to find a source on the internet.
My chuck is a Oneway Talon and I have both sizes of the larger jaws with it. The slapping noise occurs with either set of jaws.
I have had some success by putting some RTV on the threads of the screws and letting it cure and then using the screws normally.
Bill V
PS
I just remembered that when the PP starts the speed control computer limits the speed and SS stated in the past that the electronics can cause some rumble or noise as it adjusts the speed. They also said that it was not to be worried about.
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

Hi Again
Here is the setup I used for holding the rings for gluing and aligning the glue joints on the segmented rings. I will try to post additional info as to how I created the patterns at a later date. I am going to have hernia surgery and may be out of action for a while.
chevron bowl glue up.jpg
chevron bowl glue up.jpg (11.5 KiB) Viewed 11593 times
Bill V
It does not seem to matter whether I hold the bowl with the jumbo jaws or the chuck jaws I still get the slap on startup.
Bobbymike
Bronze Member

Post by Bobbymike »

Thanks for your response. The problem is not the chuck. I have the same problem with the sanding disc. I carefully checked all setscrews. It is not just the clanking noise on starting, but the rattling while running that is a concern when turning. Do you experience that?
rpd
Platinum Member

Post by rpd »

Bobbymike wrote:Thanks for your response. The problem is not the chuck. I have the same problem with the sanding disc. I carefully checked all setscrews. It is not just the clanking noise on starting, but the rattling while running that is a concern when turning. Do you experience that?
Check all setscrews and fasteners in the headstock, The high speed pulsing that the Power Pro motor uses to regulate the speed can cause them to vibrate loose.
Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,
nuhobby
Platinum Member

Post by nuhobby »

Many PP owners (myself included) had to call Shopsmith and get a re-calibration. I did mine over the phone with "Wes" back in 2010 to solve a clanking issue with the sanding disk.

Note: Others had trouble getting through and some sensitive info was posted...
https://www.shopsmith.com/ss_forum/main ... ml#p116874

Chris
wa2crk
Platinum Member

Post by wa2crk »

If you are having the same problem with only the sanding disc on the quill then there may be too much slack somewhere in the system. One place that I would check is the set screw on the motor pulley. I had mine loosen twice before I applied some blue Loctite to keep it in the hole. The second time it got loose I found in the sawdust in the bottom of the motor pan. I made a suggestion in the past that Shopsmith use loctite on all assembly screws to prevent things from working loose. To no avail I might add.
Bill V