phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Belt Sander Idler Drum

#204387 by tomsalwasser » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:15 am

Greetings fellow sawdust makers with belt sanders.

Watching Nick's video on belt sander tune-up, I was wondering if your idler drum spins freely like Nick's does. Mine has more stiffness to it, although not as bad as the one he's working on. Despite the stiffness the belt sander is tracking nicely, at least for now. Thanks for your thoughts!

Tom

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Belt Sander Idler Drum

#204388 by algale » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:11 am

tomsalwasser wrote:Greetings fellow sawdust makers with belt sanders.

Watching Nick's video on belt sander tune-up, I was wondering if your idler drum spins freely like Nick's does. Mine has more stiffness to it, although not as bad as the one he's working on. Despite the stiffness the belt sander is tracking nicely, at least for now. Thanks for your thoughts!

Tom

It has been a few years now, but I think when I tuned mine up it spun pretty freely after I cleaned and greased it and removed all the old belt threads that had wrapped themselves around the axle.

---

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

#204389 by billmayo » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:14 am

The grease mixes with the sanding wood and sanding belt dust make a harder mixture for around the drive shaft. I believe you need to disassemble, clean and grease the drive shaft every year or two as most drive shafts really show wear when this is not done. My solution was to add a grease fitting to the drive drum. I added 3 alternating holes in the drive shaft so the spring would get lubricated at the same time.
100_1107.JPG
100_1107.JPG (339.08 KiB) Viewed 722 times

#204390 by tomsalwasser » Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:48 am

algale wrote:It has been a few years now, but I think when I tuned mine up it spun pretty freely after I cleaned and greased it and removed all the old belt threads that had wrapped themselves around the axle.

Thanks Al. Glad to hear you've had a few trouble free years of belt sanding!

billmayo wrote:The grease mixes with the sanding wood and sanding belt dust make a harder mixture for around the drive shaft. I believe you need to disassemble, clean and grease the drive shaft every year or two as most drive shafts really show wear when this is not done. My solution was to add a grease fitting to the drive drum. I added 3 alternating holes in the drive shaft so the spring would get lubricated at the same time.

Thanks Bill! Since you mention the spring did you drill the idler drum? From what I understand they can be difficult to put back together so a grease fitting would be nice. Although Nick did just enough disassembly to lube the shaft.