phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

2 posts • Page 1 of 1

Shopsmith gouge #555027

#266622 by Lodgepole » Fri Jan 17, 2020 6:15 pm

About a week ago i picked up a Shopsmith gouge #55027 at a second hand store. The metal was quite rusty and pitted, the wood handle is sound and it was only $2.

I soaked the metal in a combination of white vinegar and salt. Twelve hours later the metal cleaned up nicely. I only had to use a Scotch brite pad to finish cleaning it. It still has relatively shallow pits. But they are towards the blade end. So, I don't believe that should cause any problems during turning. I plan on using paste wax to keep it from rusting. Are there any suggestions for a different way to "seal" the metal?

I guess my main question is regarding the wood handle. Most of the finish is gone and it has spots of paint. I am planning on sanding it down to bare wood. What would you suggest for a finish. I have searched the internet and there is a wide variety of suggestions. I am looking to this group for your personal preferences.

On a side note, much of the Shopsmith logo is gone. This doesn't hurt the usability of the tool. But, in my opinion, it sure would look a lot better with the logo.

Thanks in advance for any and all suggestions.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Shopsmith gouge #555027

#266634 by beeg » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:55 pm

What do you have to coat the handle? I bet that the steel is carbon steel, be careful when sharpening it so ya don't turn it blue.

---

SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob

Post a reply  Reply with quote