phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

SCROLL SAW TABLE INSERT

#274547 by FraudDog » Wed Sep 16, 2020 8:32 pm

I came upon an almost unused stand alone SS scroll/jig saw. It is missing the 3 inch round table insert and have had no luck trying to find one.

Anyone have one to sell? Anyone know where I can get one?

I am new to SS so I may be asking many questions in the future and I always find forums of like minded folks the best way to gain information.

Thanking everyone in advance

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: SCROLL SAW TABLE INSERT

#274561 by chapmanruss » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:08 pm

Welcome to the Forum.

First it is important to know if you have a Jig Saw or a Scroll Saw. There is a difference even though many people use the names as the same tool. The picture below is a Shopsmith Jig Saw. I happens to be a Greenie from 1957 that I restored. Later they were painted in the Goldie paint scheme in the early 1960's. After that they were painted gray with a black arm.

Jig Saw 1957 Greenie.jpg
Jig Saw 1957 Greenie.jpg (99.44 KiB) Viewed 86 times
If this is what you have than the Table Insert is Part Number 502254 which is no longer available new from Shopsmith. It will have to be found used.

If you have a Scroll Saw like the one shown in the picture below or the earlier gray one (bottom picture), you will need part number 515196 which is no longer available new from Shopsmith. The newer Scroll Saws, as seen in the picture below, have a slot cut in the table and no longer have a need for an insert.

Scroll Saw - teal.jpg
Scroll Saw - teal.jpg (23.85 KiB) Viewed 86 times
A gray Scroll Saw table is shown below and you can see the table insert it uses.

Scroll Saw Block Holder.jpg
Scroll Saw Block Holder.jpg (108.77 KiB) Viewed 86 times
Both the Gray and Teal Scroll Saws have had versions made mounted on a stand and for Mark Mounting.

---

Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters. Has Speed Changer, Model 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E S/N 1077 oldest one I have restored. On bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.

#274563 by FraudDog » Thu Sep 17, 2020 1:45 pm

Thanks. Mine is the scroll saw as in the bottom (last) photo. So I need part 515106.

#274566 by BobCoates1953 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:05 pm

I believe they are about a 1/4" thick and could be made from hardboard. I have made some for a bandsaw from aluminum, but they were not 1/4 thick. I was luck that I had a hole saw of the correct diameter.
If you had a 3" hole saw it should be easy to make.

Bob

#274570 by reible » Thu Sep 17, 2020 6:06 pm

This is what my saw looks like:

ss1.jpg
ss1.jpg (149.51 KiB) Viewed 52 times

ss2.jpg
ss2.jpg (137.42 KiB) Viewed 52 times

ss3.jpg
ss3.jpg (63.28 KiB) Viewed 52 times

It looks to be about 3" in diameter and a 1/4" thick. I see no problem making your own out of either hardwood, or plastic and even a good grade of plywood.

There is nothing very critical about the center opening or the path to it. I would make it slightly over sized then sand to fit.

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]

#274573 by FraudDog » Thu Sep 17, 2020 7:39 pm

Yup, mine is exactly like Rieble's. I guess I will try the 3 inch hole saw and some 1/4 inch plastic. Thanks everyone