theinrichs wrote:Following your suggestions (br549, JPG, Dusty) and those from a few others, I was able to pull open the floating sheave and remove the belt. The belt was riding low in the control sheave but the belt appeared to be in good condition. With the confidence that I was able to move the floating sheave, I decided to keep going with a headstock teardown following a few of Jacob Anderson's You Tube videos. I removed the motor pan, lubed the sheaves again, and removed the speed controller. When I got the speed controller out of the headstock I noticed the worm gear was really gunked up, so much so I couldn't turn the worm gear ! I'm sure this was part of the overall problem. I cleaned up the speed controller and adjusted the quadrant following Jacob Anderson's video suggestions. I then attached the belt and reassembled the headstock based on Jacob's video on that task. I turned on the motor and then turned the speed controller through the various speed changes. The sheaves opened and closed properly and the machine now runs great! I certainly learned a very important lesson the hard way about the need to follow routine cleaning and maintenance procedures. I also learned a lot about how the machine functions. Many thanks to all of you that helped me through this inspect and repair process. You guys are true professionals and reflect great credit upon the Shopsmith owner community!
Most lessons that are truly learned are "learned the hard way".
I am pleased to hear that these problems have been resolved and that you are now more comfortable with and confident about your Shopsmith.
A regular maintenance routine will prevent this from ever happening again.
I congratulate you on your perseverance.
Now, go make saw dust safely.