phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

11 posts 1 2

Extension Tube Option

#266769 by rbucket » Thu Jan 23, 2020 6:42 am

Good Morning!

It's been a while since I posted, but I sure use the info you guys share. Thank you!

Has anybody used 3/4" Black Steel Pipe like the box stores sell? The OD is 1.05", and the price is very low. $11.95 for 6 Ft length at Home Depot.

If you've used it, have there been any problems?

Thank you!

---

MKV 510 (August 1989)
Power Station (2)
Scroll Saw
Band Saw
Edge Sander
Jointer

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Extension Tube Option

#266772 by JPG » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:45 am

rbucket wrote:Good Morning!

It's been a while since I posted, but I sure use the info you guys share. Thank you!

Has anybody used 3/4" Black Steel Pipe like the box stores sell? The OD is 1.05", and the price is very low. $11.95 for 6 Ft length at Home Depot.

If you've used it, have there been any problems?

Thank you!


Used on what?(early 510,late 510,520/7)

Kinda heavy and sorta rough finish. Kinda 'whippy' also.

I think I would prefer galvanized(new stuff that appears to actually be plated).

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Extension Tube Option

#266773 by dusty » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:56 am

The primary function being to "tie the tables together" I find that rigid conduit works well.

---

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Extension Tube Option

#266777 by rbucket » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:44 am

Thanks

I'll take a look at those two options.

---

MKV 510 (August 1989)
Power Station (2)
Scroll Saw
Band Saw
Edge Sander
Jointer

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Extension Tube Option

#266781 by garys » Thu Jan 23, 2020 2:15 pm

A few years ago I bought two of these for extension tubes. The price is higher than it was back then, but the quality is tops.
https://www.grainger.com/product/Tubing ... Pid=search

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Extension Tube Option

#266783 by rbucket » Thu Jan 23, 2020 5:54 pm

I'll look into those also

Thank you

---

MKV 510 (August 1989)
Power Station (2)
Scroll Saw
Band Saw
Edge Sander
Jointer

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Extension Tube Option

#266791 by JPG » Fri Jan 24, 2020 1:37 am

Rigid (metal) conduit is essentially galvanized iron pipe.

Ya gonna mention thine JSB?

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Extension Tube Option

#266804 by jsburger » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:46 pm

JPG wrote:Rigid (metal) conduit is essentially galvanized iron pipe.

Ya gonna mention thine JSB?


Oh my. I just went through 2 days of h**l. My router died. The new one works fine but lots of work getting everything back on line and still not 100% but close.

Yes, Metals Depot Stainless Steel Tube with 1/8" wall thickness. Very heavy and straight. I bought 2 6' lengths. I just checked and a 6' length is $50.72. I have two fixed extension tables and 4 floating tables. The 6' tubes allow two floating tables to be installed outboard of the fixed extension tables.

Can't find the picture now, Argh!

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Extension Tube Option

#266813 by RFGuy » Sat Jan 25, 2020 7:02 am

Black iron pipe is heavy for connector tubing, but I remember reading online that at least one person did this for their Mark V. I believe it is a little oversize as-is, so they removed the black paint which brought it down to 1" OD. I don't remember what they used to prevent rust. Are you looking for a cheaper solution than what Shopsmith sells or are you looking for a more rigid solution (to prevent flex, etc.)? I have also heard of people going to their local metal supply store and buying 1" OD anodized aluminum tubing for like $8 for 6' length, I think (don't know if they had any alignment issues or if the aluminum flexed on them). An older thread on connector tubing is below:

https://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintenance-and-repair-f10/510-520-table-connector-tube-length-t19880.html

---

📶RF Guy

Mark V 520 (Bought New '98) | 4" jointer | 6" beltsander | 12" planer | bandsaw | router table | speed reducer | univ. tool rest
Porter Cable 12" Compound Miter Saw | Rikon 8" Low Speed Bench Grinder w/CBN wheels | Jessem Clear-Cut TS™ Stock Guides
Festool (Emerald): DF 500 Q | RO 150 FEQ | OF 1400 EQ | TS 55 REQ | CT 26 E
DC3300 | Shopvac w/ClearVue CV06 Mini Cyclone | JDS AirTech 2000 | Sundstrom PAPR | Dylos DC1100 Pro particulate monitor

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Extension Tube Option

#266821 by jsburger » Sat Jan 25, 2020 1:07 pm

RFGuy wrote:Black iron pipe is heavy for connector tubing, but I remember reading online that at least one person did this for their Mark V. I believe it is a little oversize as-is, so they removed the black paint which brought it down to 1" OD. I don't remember what they used to prevent rust. Are you looking for a cheaper solution than what Shopsmith sells or are you looking for a more rigid solution (to prevent flex, etc.)? I have also heard of people going to their local metal supply store and buying 1" OD anodized aluminum tubing for like $8 for 6' length, I think (don't know if they had any alignment issues or if the aluminum flexed on them). An older thread on connector tubing is below:

https://shopsmith.com/ss_forum/maintenance-and-repair-f10/510-520-table-connector-tube-length-t19880.html


The pictures of my stainless tubes are in this thread.

---

John & Mary Burger
Eagle's Lair Woodshop
Hooper, UT

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 42 guests

Board indexDelete all board cookies

Welcome to Shopsmith. Please fill in this form and we'll send you more information and special offers for the Shopsmith MARK 7 and other woodworking topics.

Subscribe to our mailing list

* indicates required