phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Alignment Snafu

#19233 by jtomwoods » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:04 am

I am reluctant to start what may be a new thread on table alignment. I apologize if this seems to be a new one. To me, it isn't.

Several weeks ago I aligned my table slots to the sanding disk. I went from about 0.010 to 0.0035. I was elated! At the time, I used a piece of paper instead of a dollar bill as a shim guage at the trunnion. After doing this, I realigned stationary tables and rip fence. Everything was great.

Yesterday, I planned to move to the drill press mode. Unfortunately, I was not able to tilt my table to the 90 degrees to the drill press mode. The table would only go so far before binding up.

Although I followed the torque recommendations and sequence of toquing, my thinking is that I somehow stressed the mounting in that process.

I'm looking for other opinions and advice. Is it possible the paper contributed to my problem? Any other things I should look at? Thanks in advance.

---

Tom Woods

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

#19247 by Nick » Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:42 pm

My first guess is that you did not insert the paper far enough. If the paper does not make contact with the entire length of the opposing surfaces of the tie bar ribs and the trunnion, there is a chance that the back trunnion will be pulled cock-eyed when you snug up the tilt lock. This would cause the table to bind. The paper should be inserted at least 1-1/2".

With all good wishes,

---

#19250 by jtomwoods » Mon Jul 07, 2008 3:16 pm

Nick,

Thanks. I re-did with real money this time and inserted it as you suggested. After the alignment, there is no bind. I'm happy again.

---

Tom Woods

#19259 by chiroindixon » Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:19 pm

[SIZE="3"]You get what you pay for. :rolleyes:

Doc[/SIZE]

#19283 by jtomwoods » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:05 am

Doc,

I can't agree with you more. Sometimes, however, money's not worth the paper it's printed on.

---

Tom Woods