phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

26 posts 1 2 3

Shopsmith hacks

#271982 by ryanbp01 » Sat Jul 04, 2020 7:59 pm

One of the things I really love about this forum is the collective creativity of its members. As I was reading a magazine of jigs and fixtures, I thought maybe it might be a fine time to devote a thread to the many adaptations people have made to their Shopsmiths in order to make woodworking easier. Sometimes these threads have shown up in other categories, however I thought having a thread devoted to these jigs and fixtures specifically would make them easier to find.
BPR

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Shopsmith hacks

#271987 by Gene Howe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 8:28 am

Great idea. The only thing I've done to my MKVs was to add the Jointech Saw Train and router table to one of them. It has been a very nice addition. I did remove the upper and lower blade guards from both of my saws. For the shorty, I made a drill press table. On the list, though, is Shipwright's drum sander. Maybe, some day.

#271991 by Ed in Tampa » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:27 am

Gene Howe wrote:Great idea. The only thing I've done to my MKVs was to add the Jointech Saw Train and router table to one of them. It has been a very nice addition. I did remove the upper and lower blade guards from both of my saws. For the shorty, I made a drill press table. On the list, though, is Shipwright's drum sander. Maybe, some day.

Upper and lower saw blade guards? Why would you remove both? I know many people can not deal with the upper Guard but why on earth remove the lower one? What is your thinking on this?

#271992 by garys » Sun Jul 05, 2020 10:42 am

I pretty much make no changes from factory configuraton. I did purchase some longer connecting tubes to make the table larger for breaking down 4x8 sheets of plywood, but I can't really call it a hack because Shopsmith offers longer tubes for those of us who use them.

#271994 by Gene Howe » Sun Jul 05, 2020 11:06 am

Ed in Tampa wrote:
Gene Howe wrote:Great idea. The only thing I've done to my MKVs was to add the Jointech Saw Train and router table to one of them. It has been a very nice addition. I did remove the upper and lower blade guards from both of my saws. For the shorty, I made a drill press table. On the list, though, is Shipwright's drum sander. Maybe, some day.

Upper and lower saw blade guards? Why would you remove both? I know many people can not deal with the upper Guard but why on earth remove the lower one? What is your thinking on this?

Well, no deep thinking involved. I just didn't find it necessary.

#271998 by dusty » Sun Jul 05, 2020 12:32 pm

Now that I am in my "golden years" I find that I'm accident prone. Therefore, I try not to deliberately expose anything sharp. Doing away with the lower saw guard just scares me. I do, however, work nearly all of the time without the upper saw guard which I consider a nuisance.

The only time I have experienced bodily injury by the saw blade - the saw was not even turned on.

---

"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.

#272000 by JPG » Sun Jul 05, 2020 1:15 pm

Since my goldie has NEVER had either guard, I have not needed to remove them. However since I have never had them I am ALWAYS conscous of their absence. So as I get older I do concentrate more on that fact and do always keep track of me and the blade. Yes as I get older that is a necessity.

---

╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10E(SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange

#272033 by rpd » Mon Jul 06, 2020 6:55 pm

The hack I use every time I use my 10ER is the Allen key/lamp holder.

lamp allenkey holder 2.JPG
lamp allenkey holder 2.JPG (403.11 KiB) Viewed 6359 times

Second would be the fairly recent addition of drawers under the bench.

#1benchwdrawers.jpg
#1benchwdrawers.jpg (1.09 MiB) Viewed 6359 times

---

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,

#272042 by edflorence » Mon Jul 06, 2020 11:42 pm

Classic looking setup! Really like the drawers as well as the lamp/hex key rack.

---

Ed
Idaho Panhandle
Mark 5 of various vintages, Mini with reversing motor, bs, dc3300, jointer, increaser, decreaser

#272060 by mindpilot » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:19 pm

Here I have my Shopsmith set up to mix drywall texture compound.
mixer.jpg
mixer.jpg (64.36 KiB) Viewed 6197 times