phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Removing Rust on a SS Jointer Table

#258 by jcbenson » Mon Jul 31, 2006 11:22 pm

Hello, I purchased a used SS jointer on EBay with rusted infeed and outfeed tables. I have tried assorted rust removers bought at a hardware store but did not do so good. I used a small piece of emery cloth but it takes too much time. Any suggestions? I would like it to come back looking close to new without going to the machine shop. :confused:

---

jcbenson
Grass Valley, Ca.

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

#259 by Ed in Tampa » Tue Aug 01, 2006 1:03 am

Get some wet dry sand paper start with 60 or 80 grit and mount it on a 1/4 sheet sand or orbital block sander. Use WD40 or light oil as lube and start cleaning the rust off. Move up in grit when the rust is gone to put a shiny new finish on the table. Make sure you do sand a high or low spot into the table while doing this.

jcbenson wrote:Hello, I purchased a used SS jointer on EBay with rusted infeed and outfeed tables. I have tried assorted rust removers bought at a hardware store but did not do so good. I used a small piece of emery cloth but it takes too much time. Any suggestions? I would like it to come back looking close to new without going to the machine shop. :confused:

#261 by wurlitzerwilly » Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:55 am

jcbenson wrote:Hello, I purchased a used SS jointer on EBay with rusted infeed and outfeed tables. I have tried assorted rust removers bought at a hardware store but did not do so good. I used a small piece of emery cloth but it takes too much time.........:

I was advised by those that had done it to take the finest grade wire wool to remove rust. Sometimes a small amount of kerosene also helps. After that, give the bed an application of Trewax or Johnson's Furniture Polish, much the same as you'd do for the way tubes etc.

---

Regards,

Alan.
www.theatreorgans.co.uk
www.virtualtheatreorgans.com
Admin: UKShopsmiths Group
Theatre Pipe Organ Builder
ShopSmith V520 + Power Pro

Removing rust on the jointer

#264 by burnsrk » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:53 pm

I had the same problem with a used one I purchased. I started with a very fine steel wool and WD-40. That took alot off but it was rather slow after knocking off the initial rust. I then bought naval jelly, applied it and let it sit a few minutes per the directions, then used fine steel wool. That worked well. I finished up with using WD-40 and steel wool to clean off all jelly residue, then wiped it dry and finished it with paste wax.

Kevin

Rust Remidy

#265 by jcbenson » Tue Aug 01, 2006 10:06 pm

Thank You for the advise. A neighbor told me to use a sandpaper wheel on my drill. He said not to leave it in one place too long. I will try the advise that all of you have sent. ;)

---

jcbenson

Grass Valley, Ca.