phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Novel Newell Noel Note (Oak up-cycling repair!)

#243305 by nuhobby » Fri Dec 29, 2017 11:18 am

My wife has had troubles with her study-room lamp base. It's a crappy imported cast-concrete base that finally disintegrated. Seeing this thing, I'd be REAL careful using any similarly-made exercise barbells made in China....

But I digress. It was time for a sturdy fix.

Here I am transferring the design from the original junk to a new oak crossbar scheme. I'm using dumpster-dive bed-post Oak that my neighbor kindly saved for me :)

Replacing Lamp Base.JPG
Replacing Lamp Base.JPG (139.85 KiB) Viewed 9793 times

Here is the finished base:

Finished Lamp Base.JPG
Finished Lamp Base.JPG (93.26 KiB) Viewed 9793 times

As a side note, that finished Oak base was finished in minimal time (necessary this week due to visitors arriving soon!), and it doesn't smell like oil or varnish. It just has a subtle beeswax odor.... I decided to try out the old-time "polissoir" method that is promoted by web-authors such as Don Williams http://www.donsbarn.com .

We've all heard from Nick, etc., that you can't build up much of a wax coat because new wax dissolves old wax. Well, that's true if it's a wax in a solvent mix. But raw beeswax can build decently, and have a decent grain-filling function.

Here's a paste-wax test followed by the friction-polissoir-beeswax test:

Paste Wax Segments.JPG
Paste Wax Segments.JPG (110.13 KiB) Viewed 9793 times

Polissoir Segments.JPG
Polissoir Segments.JPG (112.01 KiB) Viewed 9793 times

Happy woodworking!

Chris

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Novel Newell Noel Note (Oak up-cycling repair!)

#243325 by algale » Fri Dec 29, 2017 4:42 pm

Interesting project; interesting web site. Thanks for posting both.

---

Gale's Law: The bigger the woodworking project, the less the mistakes show in any photo taken far enough away to show the entire project!

Re: Novel Newell Noel Note (Oak up-cycling repair!)

#255670 by nuhobby » Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:57 pm

I thought I would report on the "hard wax" beeswax finish which was burnished-in with a polissoir (described above).

The Oak piece has held up great!
Here is the year-old lamp-base, and a new experimental octagonal pen on it, having a similar burnished wax finish:

Beeswax Base 1 year On.jpg
Beeswax Base 1 year On.jpg (134.05 KiB) Viewed 8699 times

Happy woodworking,
Chris