phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

20 posts 1 2

Looking for advice on cutting thin plastic tubes

#273709 by reible » Thu Aug 27, 2020 8:47 pm

If you even purchased the 2' lengths of t-track from Rockler you will know the tubing I'm trying to cut.

ttt.jpg
ttt.jpg (142.89 KiB) Viewed 2443 times

I've tried with a thin hand saw and with the miter saw both have been less then wonderful.

In the end I want a couple of "viewtainer" sort of containers that are 10" long. I can do a couple more test cuts before I have to get the money cut.

Ed

---

{Knight of the Shopsmith} [Hero's don't wear capes, they wear dog tags]

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Looking for advice on cutting thin plastic tubes

#273711 by sehast » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:05 pm

I don't have any good advice for you. Last time I tried using the bandsaw and then a table router but got similar results as you. But the router was probably better, just not great.

#273712 by number3456 » Thu Aug 27, 2020 9:06 pm

Would a bandsaw with a fine blade make a nicer cut?

---

520 now upgraded to Mark 7, 520 "shorty"
2 - bandsaws, scroll saw, belt sander, strip sander, 4" Jointer, planer, air compressor.
ClearVue dust collection system

#273715 by stew » Thu Aug 27, 2020 10:00 pm

I would insert a wood dowel the diameter of the tube and then cut it. It would need to be a tight fit.

#273725 by BuckeyeDennis » Fri Aug 28, 2020 8:25 am

I’m leaning toward the dowel plug idea myself, but with a twist.

First cut the tube(s) to rough length with a saw. Chuck up an oversized dowel (or block) in lathe mode, and turn a slightly-tapered tenon to fit inside the tube. Mount the tube “between centers” and dress the rough cut with a parting tool, right on top of the tenon. The tenon is semi-sacrificial, but it should be good for several cuts.

If you turn a groove in the tenon at the part-off line, you could even sand/polish the cut end of the tube.

#273734 by edma194 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 10:16 am

Hot knife.

#273743 by rogersk » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:37 pm

Insert a dowel into the plastic tube so as to maintain its dimension, and then use a nice, sharp tubing cutter to "slice" the plastic instead of trying to cut it.

Just my 2 cents.

Edit: I think your lathe approach would probably work too, but would be more work.

---

--Keith

#273744 by wrmnfzy » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:43 pm

I would try the dowel inside then mounted in chuck and while turning I would use a utility knife to do the cutting. If I would use the bandsaw I would use dowel inside with tape around the plastic to then make the cut, if necessary then sanding disc to smooth edge.

#273762 by benmcn » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:21 am

I wonder if a wooden dowel inserted in the plastic as has been suggested along with a pipe cutter would give you a clean cut.

Attachments

79EE6DA5-F82B-477E-BEBF-3E3D9A0CE227.jpeg
79EE6DA5-F82B-477E-BEBF-3E3D9A0CE227.jpeg (223.23 KiB) Viewed 2303 times

#273770 by chapmanruss » Sat Aug 29, 2020 12:19 pm

I have been thinking about this since I read the post yesterday. My suggestion would be to use an X-Acto saw blade. They have very fine teeth for doing delicate work.

---

Russ

Mark V completely upgraded to Mark 7
Mark V 520
All SPT's & 2 Power Stations
Model 10ER S/N R64000 first one I restored on bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters. Has Speed Changer, Model 4E Jointer, Jig Saw with lamp, a complete set of original accessories & much more.
Model 10E S/N 1077 oldest one I have restored. On bench w/ metal ends & retractable casters.