phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Rail tube not striaght

#264671 by hegemon86 » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:02 pm

one of my top rail tube developed a slight bend enough to get the headstock stock. can I take the bottom rails and swap them on top?

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Rail tube not striaght

#264675 by rpd » Sat Nov 16, 2019 7:48 pm

hegemon86 wrote:one of my top rail tube developed a slight bend enough to get the headstock stock. can I take the bottom rails and swap them on top?

The way tubes are a different length than the bench tubes, so they are not interchangeable.

The way tubes all have a slight bend to them. so the trick is to rotate them so that they both curve up or both curve down and the distance between centers stays constant.

---

Ron Dyck
==================================================================
10ER #23430, 10ER #84609, 10ER #94987,two SS A-34 jigsaws for 10ER.
1959 Mark 5 #356595 Greenie, SS Magna Jointer, SS planer, SS bandsaw, SS scroll saw (gray), DC3300,

Re: Rail tube not striaght

#264677 by wa2crk » Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:41 pm

Try removing the tie bar, headstock, table and carriage. Then loosen the way tubes that they slide on at the hinge end. Inside the tubes you will see a weld. Rotate the tubes so that the welds are at the top or bottom. Then re-assemble and see if everything slides OK.
Bill V