phone  (937) 890-5197

Shopsmith Forums

%nbsp;

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Finishing Beech Desktop

#273262 by CanadianShopSmith » Sun Aug 16, 2020 4:46 pm

Hi There,

This is my first time in many years attempting to finish a table top. I'm looking to finish a beech butcher-block style table top for a computer desk. I've picked up some Tung oil, Teak oil and varathane finishing wax. My thought was to sand the butcher-block down to 320 grit and then apply 2 coats of Tung oil. After cured I would apply a layer of finishing wax. I am targeting a matte or satin finish. I've never used these finishes before so I'd love to hear thoughts and suggestions on this approach of if a different finish would be more appropriate.

Thank you all,

-Kale

Post a reply  Reply with quote 

Re: Finishing Beech Desktop

#273354 by garys » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:33 pm

If the butcher top is intended to see any food on it, I would suggest finishing it only with a special food grade finish. You don't want to be eating residue from other types of finishes.

#273358 by CanadianShopSmith » Tue Aug 18, 2020 4:57 pm

garys wrote:If the butcher top is intended to see any food on it, I would suggest finishing it only with a special food grade finish. You don't want to be eating residue from other types of finishes.

Thanks Gary. The piece will be a computer desk so it should only see food if I am a messy eater and manage to drop a potato chip on the surface.

-Kale

#273360 by Hobbyman2 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 7:04 pm

sounds like your plan should work fine , use some 0000 steel wool to put the tung oil on and than a light steel wool after the last coat dries, that should give you a very nice finish , you may need to apply more than 2 coats depending on how well the wood responds to the oil . good luck and we will need pictures !!!!!!! my .02

---

Hobbyman2 Favorite Quote: "If a man does his best, what else is there?"
- General George S. Patton (1885-1945)