H-O trains...

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

robinson46176
Platinum Member

H-O trains...

Post by robinson46176 »

This may be like asking your favorite brand of car but I have been looking around a little and know less the more I look. I know that there are some train guys on this forum...
There is a big show in Indy this weekend but I can't make it.
I am interested in finding a HO model train brand that falls between Harbor freight and Shopsmith. :) Maybe closer to Harbor freight but reasonably reliable... ;)

I should mention that I am not a big supporter of the old saw that "You get what you pay for". I believe that you get the value that you learn to identify and search out. I don't buy the premise that paying more money automatically gets you more... :rolleyes: You don't often don't get the best stuff for the least money but I like "meat and potatoes" solid everyday stuff at "acceptably reasonable" prices most of the time.
Shopsmith is my exception to that policy... :D

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Ok i just have to put my foot down here!

No more toys for you until you get the ones you already have neatly put away in the basement!!!:D :D :p

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
smredleg
Gold Member

Post by smredleg »

I got into HO while serving in Germany. I modeled in Epoche III (1945-70) Fleischmann which was near the top end models. Eight years ago, I gave my sons the 6 sets I had in storage, and said, "I'm done with model trains."
Two years later, I went to a "Train-fest" in West Allis, and discovered DCC and on-board sound.
Now, I'm back with limited trackage, two engines, one steam Class 95.0 and Class 218 diesel, needless to say, both are DCC sound locos. Now my layout runs around the Xmas tree.
Love Fleischmans' quality and accuracy. FYI. My steamer cost $540.US.
And, if your interested in European trains, you can subscribe to Continental Modeller for $260 per year.
SS PowerPro, bandsaw, jointer, jigsaw, belt sander, bisket cutter & dust collector. Plus a DeWalt 735 planner, and router.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

mbcabinetmaker wrote:Ok i just have to put my foot down here!

No more toys for you until you get the ones you already have neatly put away in the basement!!!:D :p

Right... :)
I just like to research stuff well ahead of time. If done correctly the planning can be almost as much fun as the doing. :)
I still have a boot shop to set up and a 28' x 64 tool shed with an attached 18' x 18' shed to convert to 6 horse stalls, a wash-bay and a common area before that too. I at least want to get the boot shop and horse stalls far enough along to produce a little income by late spring. I keep running out of $$$$. The original target date for the boot shop was January one but I didn't make it. I didn't want to let it get in the way of the woodshop setup. Actually as I move the woodshop I am grouping and positioning the boot shop stuff ready to move it quickly as soon as I get its destination building emptied out. That building will get further remodeling along but 2 days after I get the machinery moved in it will be ready to run. Then It will be able to pay for its own remodel. The same applies to the horse stalls. I will build 2 stalls first and their income will pay for the next 2 and the same for the last 2. I have a few people who claim to be waiting for them. We will see...
The train stuff is for next fall / winter.
I wouldn't want to run out of anything to do...

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
ryanbp01
Platinum Member

Post by ryanbp01 »

Bachmann Spectrum, Lifelike Proto 2000 are two good choices. You also can't go wrong with Atlas. If you're interested in taking a road trip, my club is set up at the Monroeville Public Library thru 1-28. Hours of operation are 6-9 pm Monday and Wednesdays, 10 am-2 pm on Saturdays. I will be off work on 1-16 in case you would like to make it up here during daylight hours. If you're around Indy that would be about 2 hours North of you.

BPR
cincinnati
Platinum Member

Post by cincinnati »

I am not into trains but had a local place here in town that was a huge train store called Davis Train. Was fun to just look around in.

Any train guys familiar with Davis Train?
"Prove to all the world Metal rules the land"
-Judas Priest, Heavy Duty.
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

IME, the best prices are to be found at the shows. I can regularly pick up good used cars for a buck a piece. Running locomotives generally start at $5. You just can't go very wrong at these kinds of prices.

Boxed kits cost more, but are more entertaining (at least to me) because you build it. These can range from a few pieces of plastic you snap together in just a few minutes, to wooden projects that will take 10's of hours to build. And they all cost less than $20 usually.

If you plan on joining a particular club, then you need to look at their requirements for wheels and couplers, and follow their instructions. Otherwise, the cheapest of cars pull around the track just fine, as do the most expensive of cars.

Beware a little that buying a zillion different types of cars can leave you with some things that won't play well together. Particularly coupler types and coupler height. Generally, this is no big deal. You just have some car combinations that you can't mix well, or you make an adapter car to join them, or you pick a particular type of coupler and switch everything to that.

Since it's so cheap, I'd say not to worry overly much about a particular brand name yet. Instead, look and admire and see what makes your heart go pitter patter. As you find what apeals to your inner child, go play that way.
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I used to be into HO slot cars pretty heavily when I had room for that. I was more interested in vintage Aurora and AFX cars and track, but I seem to recall "Lifelike" being a current brand that seemed to be a good balance between cost and quality - not expensive high end stuff, but not cheap crap either. I'm pretty sure they make train sets too. But my memory is pretty fuzzy.

I always wanted to build a large setup incorporating both a train set and slot car track.
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

foxtrapper wrote:IME, the best prices are to be found at the shows. I can regularly pick up good used cars for a buck a piece. Running locomotives generally start at $5. You just can't go very wrong at these kinds of prices.

Boxed kits cost more, but are more entertaining (at least to me) because you build it. These can range from a few pieces of plastic you snap together in just a few minutes, to wooden projects that will take 10's of hours to build. And they all cost less than $20 usually.

If you plan on joining a particular club, then you need to look at their requirements for wheels and couplers, and follow their instructions. Otherwise, the cheapest of cars pull around the track just fine, as do the most expensive of cars.

Beware a little that buying a zillion different types of cars can leave you with some things that won't play well together. Particularly coupler types and coupler height. Generally, this is no big deal. You just have some car combinations that you can't mix well, or you make an adapter car to join them, or you pick a particular type of coupler and switch everything to that.

Since it's so cheap, I'd say not to worry overly much about a particular brand name yet. Instead, look and admire and see what makes your heart go pitter patter. As you find what apeals to your inner child, go play that way.

Thanks for the input foxtrapper. That is exactly the sort of thing I was hoping to read. :cool:
That is the kind of buying that fits my lifestyle. :)
I have heard a couple of guys talking about buying odd cars or even broken engines and using them as "background" as in something that "looks OK" to have sitting on a siding or back a spur somewhere.
I'll have to start looking for shows not too far away. The Yard / garage sale season will be starting up again in about 2 months. I have seen sets in yard sales before, some "claiming" to be complete and working. Much like with Shopsmiths I am not opposed to buying a big volume of low cost stuff and merging it all together. I find that approach kind of fun.
Other than having to keep them apart because of sawdust I see a train layout and a woodshop as a natural match. One of my BIL's has a layout in a basement room and last I saw it he was building some long wood trestles.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

http://trc.trains.com/events.aspx?page= ... e=1&cat=-1
That's a link of train shows nationally. It's a great tool for helping part you from your money. Don't be afraid of the big names shows, they all have lots of people and lots of stuff. The shows all have a test track where you can actually check and see of that locomotive or lighted car actually works.

http://www.wymann.info/ShuntingPuzzles/
When you get tired of going around in circles, and start thinking that surely there's a way to actually play with my trains, consider this link. My son and I actually have fun playing this. It's a lot more challenging then it seems. There are several you can download to your computer to practice on.

http://users.iafrica.com/c/ca/caroper/t ... vanced.htm
When you decide you actually want to build a dedicated layout, I've found this one to be fascinating. It incorporates several shunting games and other functions, as well as letting you run multiple trains around the track. All in a very compact layout. Don't neglect the index link at the bottom, as it takes you through the building evolution (useful for a first time builder) as well several variations on this theme.