Power Pro Upgrade question

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

cooch366
Gold Member

Power Pro Upgrade question

Post by cooch366 »

Good Morning,

I'm looking at a power pro upgrade and am looking for some opinions:

Do you think it would make sense to buy a new head stock
Keeping my existing one, with the possibility of using it for some other standalone purpose ie a fixed mounted planer, or stand alone drill press, sander. I think this would be possible by getting a couple of extra tubes, and remounting the old head stock.

Do you think it would be worth the few hundred $ to get a complete new head and to have the option to re-use the old one. Space in not an issue, just looking for some opnions.

Thanks Steve
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

I got the DIY PowerPro. Still have the entire driveworks of the old headstock, including the motor. There are no old parts used in the PowerPro kit. All I need to make a second headstock is a new or used case along with a motor pan.
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:I got the DIY PowerPro. Still have the entire driveworks of the old headstock, including the motor. There are no old parts used in the PowerPro kit. All I need to make a second headstock is a new or used case along with a motor pan.
Belt cover might be handy also!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Actually the original quill feed mechanism and the headstock lock are also used in the DIY option. Note: when you order the DIY tell them whether you have a type "B" or a type "C" headstock so that they will provide the proper switch. While it might be possible to use your old switch, it's a good idea to put in a new one as future replacement will be difficult.

I used my old headstock lock, but I carefully flattened the beveled surface with a file to remove the "dimple" caused by it's contact with the way tube. This is an old Nick Engler trick.

Also give consideration to the double tilt upgrade. The new Power Pro vastly expands the shaping/routing application. With the ability to place the headstock either above or under the table, and the reversing feature, you can avoid cuts where the stock is "trapped" under the cutter.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Both JPG and 8iowa are correct! Yep! forgot about these parts:o . Darn!!!! Guess it's going to cost me a little more to make a second headstock.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Both JPG and 8iowa are correct! Yep! forgot about these parts:o . Darn!!!! Guess it's going to cost me a little more to make a second headstock.

Not to fear. Common fodder on flea bay!

P.S. Some:rolleyes: folks have extra 'spares'!:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
cooch366
Gold Member

Post by cooch366 »

So based on what's been posted so far, is the opinion that for $370-$470 it would be worth getting a new power pro head, and keep the old one to "customize" into another stand alone unit?
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

cooch366 wrote:So based on what's been posted so far, is the opinion that for $370-$470 it would be worth getting a new power pro head, and keep the old one to "customize" into another stand alone unit?
I for one elected to purchase a new Power Pro head. In my situation I intended to keep the old head for emergencies. In final analysis my brother purchased it for replacing his non working power head. We are both happy. Fjimp
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

cooch366 wrote:So based on what's been posted so far, is the opinion that for $370-$470 it would be worth getting a new power pro head, and keep the old one to "customize" into another stand alone unit?
Don't know yet! haven't done the math, nor replaced my old case/motor pan/belt cover/quillfeed mechanism. The DIY kit was fun and helped to understand the parts. -not necessarily the exact function of each.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I think each of us has to consider our own particular situation and decide for ourselves.

Getting all new parts has its advantages and would be a good choice for one more a tune to using rather than fixing. That also leaves one with a backup or potentially another unit.

Those more mechanically inclined would probably go for the DIY upgrade and have the 'spare' parts for possible use elsewhere.

All that ignores the $ factor which is just as important.

In short, the answer lies within thee!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝