Shopsmith Oscillating Sander

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Shopsmith Oscillating Sander

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

I have really never given this SPT a look but I recently sold my Jet oscillating sander because I just did not like it. I am thinking of buying one if it ever goes on sale. Does anyone here have one and if so how smoothly does it operate? I disliked the jet because it had a good bit of vibration.

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

I have one and find it works well for the projects I've built so far. But I'm not a high production operation so I don't know how it would work in that situation.

I have to review the instructions each time I set it up because it's not an everyday thing and I tend to forget things if I sleep between the times I use something. Not sure but I think the thinning hair has something to do with that.:rolleyes: I don't recall having that problem years ago - but then I was younger then...
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I have one and like it. Not sure if it would meet your needs on a professional level.

In operation the quill is pulled via the oscillating head (gear box) and a cable, the return is the quill spring. If you force it, well the spring is only so strong, so it might not oscillate anymore until you let up on it. The point being it you really need to let the sandpaper work.

The stroke is if I recall maxed at 3/4", and adjustable to be less. The speed is determined by how fast/slow the spindle is moving, so you adjust for proper sanding and you get what you get oscillating wise.

While it normally shown in upright, drill press like mode you can also use it horizontally for operations like my sand almost free idea.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=863

The sanding part is the same as any drum sanding you do on the shopsmith and as stable as the quill feed/spindle are.

If you have any other questions ask away.

Ed
damagi
Platinum Member

Post by damagi »

I would be curious how it compares to the ridgid sander. That one oscillates, has drum and small belt setups as well. can't remember if the table tilts or not though.
Mark 7, Pro Planer, Jointer, Bandsaw w/Kreg, Biscuit Joiner, Belt Sander, Jig Saw, Ringmaster, DC3300, Overarm Pin Router, Incra Ultimate setup

JWBS-14 w/6" riser, RBI Hawk 226 Ultra, Bosch GSM12SD Axial Glide Dual Compound Miter Saw

-- I have parts/SPTs available, so if you are in the Seattle area and need something let me know --
damagi AT gmail DOT com
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

damagi wrote:I would be curious how it compares to the ridgid sander. That one oscillates, has drum and small belt setups as well. can't remember if the table tilts or not though.

Yes the Ridgid table will tilt to a 45 degree angle. The table from the sanding unit out is a lot like a drop leaf table.

I have in the past looked at the Shopsmith sander but wondered if heavy use might take a heavy toll on the bore of the headstock? I think I would want to be constantly rewaxing the part of the quill that was taking the wear while using it like that.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

I too have one and use it periodically. I have to agree with Rieble though his evaluation hit the nail on the head. I do with there was more of an oscillation movement the 3/4 of an inch is nice in that you can move the table up further to use a new part of the drum I use the six inch drum on mine with different grits for finish sanding.
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

A couple more things, aren't there always.

The question of added wear on the quill, as I mention that is not going to happen the tool is not going to let you do that. Again the return is using the spring in the quill so if you try and force things it stops working.... You have to let the sandpaper do the work.

You will not get the 2-1/4" drum sander to 45 deg with table tilt. I don't recall the angle but you can simply mount the drum sander and table insert and see what happens.

I have never attempted to remove the table insert or to make one with a larger opening. Of course you can use smaller diameter drums and have it work.

Or maybe make another table/platform that would let you work with larger drums.

That is another point, sometimes I don't feel the 2-1/4" drum is large enough. I have even thought about getting something larger drum wise and making a sanding platform to use that. I think at least a 3" or perhaps a bit more would be nice.

On the other end you can go pretty small, using the drill chuck and the set that shopsmith sells/use to sell (?) went down to 1/2". You will have to make your own inserts to use anything smaller the the stock drum sander. Not a big deal but none the less some thing extra to do before you can use them.

On the plus side you do have a the option of a vacuum attachment that works pretty well, taking the dust from below.

Another big plus for me is that it can hang on the wall and not waste anymore of a foot print in the shop then what is taken by the shopsmith already. If I didn't have this oscillating sander I wouldn't have any due to space alone, not to mention lack of money.

Ed
mbcabinetmaker
Platinum Member

Post by mbcabinetmaker »

Sounds like it will work fine for my smaller sanding needs. The return thing doesnt concern me as light touch is best for sanding anyway. For larger things I have the idler pulley on my stroke sander. It is about 4 inches and does a great job. Now I just need to wait for a sale.:)

Mark

2017 Power Pro Mark 7
2002 50th anniversary model 520
and a few other woodworking tools.
mgdesigns
Gold Member

Post by mgdesigns »

I have the Ridgid and for me so far it is great. I'd think the SS would be a real hassle to have to setup and take down for me, because I go from bandsaw to Ridgid and don't skip a beat. Ridgid Oscillating Sander System has become a verb on the guitar buiding forums. We ROSS everything on TDPRI.com
Hand Engraver of Metals; Maker of Exquisite Kindling; 1955 Greenie Mark V (NOW with a 1989 Headstock); Magna Band Saw; Magna 4" Jointer; Miscellaneous Craftsman & Porter-Cable electric woodworking tools.
3D CADCAM Designs - Gemstone Facetor
alaskanexile
Gold Member

Post by alaskanexile »

Reading these posts confirmed for me what I'd already thot. Does it make sense to spend $150 for the S.S. oscillating attachment which seems just a little on the hokie side compared to most S.S. tools, when for just a few $$ more one can pick up Ridgid's stand alone? That is not to suggest I'm anti S.S. If it weren't for the old greenie I inherited I'd be whittling my projects out with a pocket knife. I'd love to have the Ridgid unit, and if not that, then the S.S. add on, but unless the good fairy drops one out of the sky I'll be sticking with the single position S.S. drum.