Rockler work bench casters

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

claimdude
Gold Member

Post by claimdude »

fjimp wrote:I have decided to go a different route for castors. Woodcraft has these 300 pound capacity locking castors on sale.

http://www.woodcraft.com/Product/200198 ... indle.aspx

I have about 30" of 1 1/2" wide X 1/4" thick angle iron on hand. I will cut eight pieces of 3" long angle iron and use two pieces for each castor. One piece will protrude from end of bench and contain a hole for the castor to bolt thru. The other piece will be behind and under the leg adjacent to the iron on the front side. The back, bench leg and front iron piece will all be bolted together and with the castors on sale for $12.95 each I will spend under $50 and have 300 pound per castor weight bearing capacity. I expect that will work well for me. Then like Farmer I will be the only thing in the shop not on wheels. Well okay sometimes I use my tractor seat and am on wheels in the shop. Fjimp
Jim,

I have these same casters from Woodcraft on my miter saw cabinet (10" slider), spindle sander cabinet and my Kreg assembly table and am very pleased with them. I locked down all 4 casters on my Kreg table and it doesn't budge. All mine are the swivel lock.

Jack
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

claimdude wrote:Jim,

I have these same casters from Woodcraft on my miter saw cabinet (10" slider), spindle sander cabinet and my Kreg assembly table and am very pleased with them. I locked down all 4 casters on my Kreg table and it doesn't budge. All mine are the swivel lock.

Jack

Jack I use those wheels on most of several benches and tools with excellent results. However the Rockler Bench Wheel set won out for the primary workbench, at $69.99 yesterday. I changed my plan as this is the workbench where most of my fine work and assembly occur. I feel I really need the bench solidly on the floor while I work. I took time while the Bronco's were handing their hat to Kansas City today for an install. My workbench leg and lower cross support were uneven so I made four Maple shims (which were glued in place) to even them out. I also elected to substitute 1/4" nut and bolt combination for the screws supplied by Rockler, I just can't see screws holding up well under all that weight. Then cut a template for drilling. The entire process was completed in less than an hour. I must publicly thank my fantastic bride for handing tools and holding the wrench. Oh yes then assisting me to get up off the floor when finished. I am truly a lucky man. Other than cleaning the shop up I suppose I will be grounded until sometime in the spring.
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.