Test Bar -- A Straight Edge Alternative

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

algale
Platinum Member

Test Bar -- A Straight Edge Alternative

Post by algale »

While reading an article in Fine Wood Working on jointer maintenance http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuid ... px?id=2643, I came across a concept I hadn't previously heard of and that I think might be of use to others.

The author wanted to ensure the tables on the jointer were not sagging at the ends, which would have required shimming.

Rather than buy an expensive straightedge with a guaranteed degree of straightness (guaranteed, that is, until you drop it the first time :D ), he built what he called a "Test Bar" out of three long pieces of MDF (need only be roughly straight) and 9 dry wall screws.

Since everyone isn't going to be able to read the FWW article here's the build:

Rip the MDF into three strips roughly 5 inches wide and cut to whatever length you need to check. My jointer tables beds are about 48 long total, so that's how long mine were.

Drill three holes in one long edge of each board. Put one hole near each end and one off of center. No particular measurement for placement of the holes is important; but be sure you place the holes in the same relative position on each of the three boards (the Shopsmith in horizontal boring mode works great for this). Insert dry wall screws and screw them down all relatively evenly, leaving 1-2 threads exposed.

Now, pick one board that will become the Test Board (A), and the others get labeled B and C. Put B against A with the screw heads of both boards facing each other. Bring the boards together. If all three screw heads don't touch at the same time, adjust the center screw of B only in or out until all three screws on A & B touch.

Now do the same with A & C, again, only adjusting the center screw of C.

Now do B & C, except adjust both center screws of B & C an even amount until all touch.

Now take B back to A, but this time adjust the center screw of A only.

Now take C to A but adjust C's center screw only.

Now take C and B and adjust both center screws evenly.

Take B to A again. Adjust A's center screw if necessary and if you have to make an adjustment, repeat the process. I had to adjust A's center screw a total of two times.

According to the author, now the heads of all three screws in the Test Bar (A) lie along the same exact plane.

Put the test bar on a surface. If all three screw heads touch the surface, the points where the screw heads touch are all in the same plane.

The Test Bar was great for confirming my jointer tables were co-planar and didn't droop (couldn't get a feeler gauge under the screws at either end or near the middle (one reason you don't put the third screw in the middle if you intend to use this to verify co-planar jointer tables is that a perfectly centered screw would probably be over the jointer head!).

For the Shopsmith I could see using the Test Bar to check and adjust the infeed table of the jointer (if you made the Test Bar to the proper length), or to check and adjust the the heights of the main table and any auxillilary tables and also to ensure your main and auxilliary tables were in the same plane (not tilted). Of course, if you have a 510 or 520, I supposed the table connecting tubes doe this for you. However, I suspect I will find other uses for having a long Test Bar which can always be recalibrated if it gets out of whack.

The whole procedure from ripping (I used 3/4 baltic birch), cutting to length, drilling, and adjusting the screws took less than an hour. The cost was nil because I had the drywall screws and a wide enough, long enough cut off of baltic birch to get all three pieces.

Hope this hasn't been too confusing and will be helpful to others. Seems like a much better alternative than buying an expensive precision 48 inch straight edge for this particular use.

Al
rlkeeney
Platinum Member

Post by rlkeeney »

I considered making a straight edge once but decided I had better things to do with my life and bought one. However, I did fid the whole process quite interesting to read about.

Some links:
Making Accurate Straight-Edges from Scratch

Making a Wooden Straightedge

A Google search that will get you much more on this subject.
jm51
Gold Member

Post by jm51 »

How does plywood fare as a straight edge?

My straight edge is 24mm Baltic Birch cut with a Festool track saw. Was quite happy with it until reading this thread, a little learning means you worry less... :D
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

jm51 wrote:How does plywood fare as a straight edge?

My straight edge is 24mm Baltic Birch cut with a Festool track saw. Was quite happy with it until reading this thread, a little learning means you worry less... :D
This is just like many other discussions that we have had involving "precision". How straight does a straight edge need to be to be considered straight enough for wood working applications?

There is no right answer. Furthermore, when you strive to improve on what you are using as a straight edge now you are embarking on a journey that will have no end.

A similar discussion can be had by asking, "How flat is my workbench"? What do I need to do to make it really flat"?:eek:
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

algale wrote:While reading an article in Fine Wood Working on jointer maintenance http://www.finewoodworking.com/ToolGuide/ToolGuidePDF.aspx?id=2643, I came across a concept I hadn't previously heard of and that I think might be of use to others.

The author wanted to ensure the tables on the jointer were not sagging at the ends, which would have required shimming.

Rather than buy an expensive straightedge with a guaranteed degree of straightness (guaranteed, that is, until you drop it the first time :D ), he built what he called a "Test Bar" out of three long pieces of MDF (need only be roughly straight) and 9 dry wall screws.

Since everyone isn't going to be able to read the FWW article here's the build:

Rip the MDF into three strips roughly 5 inches wide and cut to whatever length you need to check. My jointer tables beds are about 48 long total, so that's how long mine were.

Drill three holes in one long edge of each board. Put one hole near each end and one off of center. No particular measurement for placement of the holes is important]if necessary[/I] and if you have to make an adjustment, repeat the process. I had to adjust A's center screw a total of two times.

According to the author, now the heads of all three screws in the Test Bar (A) lie along the same exact plane.

Put the test bar on a surface. If all three screw heads touch the surface, the points where the screw heads touch are all in the same plane.

The Test Bar was great for confirming my jointer tables were co-planar and didn't droop (couldn't get a feeler gauge under the screws at either end or near the middle (one reason you don't put the third screw in the middle if you intend to use this to verify co-planar jointer tables is that a perfectly centered screw would probably be over the jointer head!).

For the Shopsmith I could see using the Test Bar to check and adjust the infeed table of the jointer (if you made the Test Bar to the proper length), or to check and adjust the the heights of the main table and any auxillilary tables and also to ensure your main and auxilliary tables were in the same plane (not tilted). Of course, if you have a 510 or 520, I supposed the table connecting tubes doe this for you. However, I suspect I will find other uses for having a long Test Bar which can always be recalibrated if it gets out of whack.

The whole procedure from ripping (I used 3/4 baltic birch), cutting to length, drilling, and adjusting the screws took less than an hour. The cost was nil because I had the drywall screws and a wide enough, long enough cut off of baltic birch to get all three pieces.

Hope this hasn't been too confusing and will be helpful to others. Seems like a much better alternative than buying an expensive precision 48 inch straight edge for this particular use.

Al

This was a bit confusing but only until I concentrated on what was being said. Thank you for the information. I also appreciate the links to the other articles provided by others in the thread.

I have one question. Now that you have a very straight "reference tool", have you used it to check the straightness of anything like say a long level or a long metal straight edge? If you have done this, were they reasonably straight?

What I believe each of us needs to do is PREDETERMINE the tolerance level to which we intend to work.

We will not all strive for the same level of accuracy. I have chosen .003" as the theoretical maximum error for all of my tool adjustments/alignments. If I achieve that tolerance while doing alignments and am careful when doing my wood working - everything should fit together well enough for my work. That does not always happen but that is my fault not by tools.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

To satisfy (again) my own curiosity, I went to the shop and gathered together (on my workbench) a piece of birch plywood (about 1/2x4"x48"), my 5' level and an eemerson straightedge clamp.

I clamped the straight edge to the bench and laid the plywood and level on the bench along side one another. With the three pushed together, I checked the gap between the three (in various positions with respect to one another). The gap varied from very tight (with a .001" feeler) to firm (with a .007" feeler).

I consider any one of the three straight enough to be used for my wood working projects.

BTW The plywood was cut using the Mark V with a standard rip fence and no feather boards, ie a simple rip cut.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

The kicker is defining 'reasonable'!;)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

[quote="JPG40504"]The kicker is defining 'reasonable'!]I think that is relatively simple. What are you willing to accept as "good enough".
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I think that is relatively simple. What are you willing to accept as "good enough".
That anything like 'close enough'?:cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

dusty wrote:This was a bit confusing but only until I concentrated on what was being said. Thank you for the information. I also appreciate the links to the other articles provided by others in the thread.

I have one question. Now that you have a very straight "reference tool", have you used it to check the straightness of anything like say a long level or a long metal straight edge? If you have done this, were they reasonably straight?

What I believe each of us needs to do is PREDETERMINE the tolerance level to which we intend to work.

We will not all strive for the same level of accuracy. I have chosen .003" as the theoretical maximum error for all of my tool adjustments/alignments. If I achieve that tolerance while doing alignments and am careful when doing my wood working - everything should fit together well enough for my work. That does not always happen but that is my fault not by tools.
I have not put my Test Bar to the test against other supposedly straight objects -- other than the jointer bed. Tonight I will look for some objects that should be straight (perhaps my 4 foot level or the extruded aluminum edge guide I bought some time ago) and I will test them against my home made Test Bar and report back on my findings.

I totally agree that what is sufficient precision/accuracy will differ for different folks and different projects/applications. .003 is overkill for framing a house. Probably not good enough for cutting an octagonal frame. In between these two applications, there's lots of projects where .003 is fine.