bandsaw tension

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

hdtran
Gold Member

bandsaw tension

Post by hdtran »

So, I finally replaced the bandsaw blade. Afterwards, I pulled out the manual to read about aligning the bandsaw guides, and noticed that Shopsmith recommends releasing the bandsaw tension when you're done.

I'd never done that (loosen tension after the end of the shop session). (Just install & go, who needs to read a manual? :rolleyes: )

(Not to mention some "DAMHIKT" moments in trying to get everything re-aligned after installing the new blade...)

How do you remind yourself to release the bandsaw tension, and crank it up again when you're ready to use it? My method (sorry, no photo for now) now is to stick a magnet over the power coupler with a tag saying "TENSION."

Thanks!
algale
Platinum Member

Post by algale »

hdtran wrote: How do you remind yourself to release the bandsaw tension, and crank it up again when you're ready to use it? My method (sorry, no photo for now) now is to stick a magnet over the power coupler with a tag saying "TENSION."

Thanks!
My high tech method was to also use a tag with the words "Retension Before Use." The tag has a twist tie at one end and I put the tag flat on the table and very loosely tie the twist tie around the blade after I de-tension it. When I go to use the band saw, the tag and twist tie go up on the upper knob of the case.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

I can assure the bandsaw will remind you to retension if you forget and turn it on without tension.

One way is to leave the 5/32 ss tool kit in the tension adjusting screw. You may not remember when you shut if down, but you will the next time you need that 'tool kit'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
fjimp
Platinum Member

Post by fjimp »

My sign is glued to the front of the bandsaw cover at eye level in the most viewed place I could determine and simply states;
"Relieve Blade Tension When Finished"
F. Jim Parks
Lakewood, Colorado:)

When the love of power is replaced by the power of love the world will have a chance for survival.
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

My high tech method was caught in this snapshot. I just could never ignore this ugly tape and message, so it worked:) . Left it on (with one replacement) for two years. Finally took it off, now that loosening has become a habit.

[ATTACH]13029[/ATTACH]
Attachments
HPIM1777.jpg
HPIM1777.jpg (134.56 KiB) Viewed 2170 times
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
gunner66
Gold Member

Yet another tag...

Post by gunner66 »

I found that the small plastic caps that go on spray cans (like carb cleaner...) fit snugly on the spindle knob of the bandsaw. I wired a plastic tag that says: "Tighten Blade Before Use" onto the cap. Its a good place for this reminder, because you have to take the cap off (and be reminded) before you can slide in the power coupler. Just my $.02.:o
dlbristol
Platinum Member

good idea.

Post by dlbristol »

Great idea, I have " heard" of folks forgetting to tighten the blade!:o
Saw dust heals many wounds. RLTW
Dave
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

gunner66 wrote:I found that the small plastic caps that go on spray cans (like carb cleaner...) fit snugly on the spindle knob of the bandsaw. I wired a plastic tag that says: "Tighten Blade Before Use" onto the cap. Its a good place for this reminder, because you have to take the cap off (and be reminded) before you can slide in the power coupler. Just my $.02.:o
You REMOVE the COUPLER between uses!?:D

Neat idea! :cool:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
hdtran
Gold Member

Post by hdtran »

My coupler is pretty much nicely wedged into my bandsaw.

Magnet with tag on the exposed coupler spring is now my reminder method. Again, sorry, no picture...
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

I cut a hole in the covers to access the tensioning screw without removing the cover. I also cut a viewing port in the cover. I just leave my red handled hex wrench in the tensioning screw to remind me to tighten it. That's when I leave the BS on the MKV. When preparing to remove the BS and store it, the wrench is removed and I always check the view hole when I put the BS back on the MKV. Even with all these memory aids, I still often forget to loosen the blade!:o
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton