longer connecting tubes

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

longer connecting tubes

Post by tomsalwasser »

Greetings woodworkers,

Anybody had any luck finding tubes locally that would work well as 510 connecting tubes? Looking for a custom size. Thanks!

Best,
Tom
gat_76
Gold Member

Post by gat_76 »

If you are near any oilfield activity, u might find a fab shop to help. The "pump rods" or "polished rod" ( have few different names) on pumpjacks are polished smooth (hence the name$ and come in different sizes. Just something that popped into my head.

And they would weigh more than alloy. That seems a good thing in my feeble mind.
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

You can try Online Metals they have lots of tubing and it is pretty affordable. I have ordered from them before. The 1.5" SS tubing in 8 ft. length is about $115. I didn't check the aluminum tubing but it is usually less expensive than the stainless just not sure it would be as strong.
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

wannabewoodworker wrote:You can try Online Metals they have lots of tubing and it is pretty affordable. I have ordered from them before. The 1.5" SS tubing in 8 ft. length is about $115. I didn't check the aluminum tubing but it is usually less expensive than the stainless just not sure it would be as strong.
Michael,
A piece of aluminum with the same geometry will have roughly one third the stiffness of stainless steel.

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
wannabewoodworker
Platinum Member

Post by wannabewoodworker »

I figured as much I am not a metallurgist..........:)
Michael Mayo
Senior IT Support Engineer
Soft Designs Inc.
albiemanmike@gmail.com
1960's SS Mark VII, 1954 Greenie, 1983 Mark V, Jointer, Bandsaw, Jigsaw, Dewalt Slider, Delta Super 10, Delta 8" Grinder, Craftsman compressor, Drill Doctor, Kreg PH Jig, Bosch Jigsaw, Craftsman Router and Table...........and adding more all the time....:D
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

horologist wrote:Michael,
A piece of aluminum with the same geometry will have roughly one third the stiffness of stainless steel.

Troy
And how much of the weight?:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
horologist
Gold Member

Post by horologist »

JPG40504 wrote:And how much of the weight?:D
OK I've memorized the density of aluminum but had to do a quick check on stainless steel. Once again about a third. So with 8foot stainless steel tubes a super duper lift assist might be helpful, along with cathedral ceilings. :D

Troy
The best equipped laundry room in the neighborhood...
michaeltoc
Gold Member

Post by michaeltoc »

You don't want pipe - you want to order 1" OD TUBE, with a 0.065 wall. An 8' length of welded SS tube will run around $34. You can also use plain old steel tube. Not as pretty, but about half the price of stainless. Don't use aluminum - the locking screws will gouge it.
Michael

Mark V Model 500 (1985) upgraded to 520 (2009) and PowerPro (2011); Bandsaw, Jointer, Jigsaw, Planer.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

michaeltoc wrote:You don't want pipe - you want to order 1" OD TUBE, with a 0.065 wall. An 8' length of welded SS tube will run around $34. You can also use plain old steel tube. Not as pretty, but about half the price of stainless. Don't use aluminum - the locking screws will gouge it.

I use EMT for this. EMT is not quit 1" OD but it is close enough to work. I did this at first as tubing used to hang my tables when not being used. One day I needed to install some floaters on the 2nd Mark V and did not have extension tubes. I learned then, of necessity, that the EMT works well.

PS Check here if you are not familiar with the term EMT.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tomsalwasser
Platinum Member

Post by tomsalwasser »

dusty wrote:I use EMT for this. EMT is not quit 1" OD but it is close enough to work.
Oh, this may work out well. My wife works in the office for an electrical contractor :D