Older Shopsmith Dust Collection System

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

aloibl
Gold Member

Older Shopsmith Dust Collection System

Post by aloibl »

Bought my first used Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 about six weeks ago. Seen one at a home and garden show here in Austin, Tx about four years ago and though it was pretty cool. Had a chance to pick one up (got a good bonus from work) so I picked one up for about $1200.00. Came with about everything. bandsaw, jointer, skill saw, tool chest, dust collection system, belt sander, and lots of bits and other accessories. Already bought the biscuit joiner. Been working on cleaning everything up because it hadn't been used for about four years. Headstock seems to run good but the speed dial is kind of hard to turn. Cleaned the gears out in the inside of the headstock and oiled where I am supposed to oil but probably need to take the speed control knob off and take a look at the gears. I think I have watched all of the videos on the shopsmith/academy website. Been reading on this forum for awhile but have not posted anything so I thought it was time.

As I said above I received an older Shopsmith dust collection system with my purchase, Model # AE-0133. Do you know where I can get replacement paper filters for this unit??? Any help would be appreciated.
Alan - Austin, Texas

Shopsmith Mark V (1984), Bandsaw, Joiner, Belt sander, jig saw, planer, router table, biscuit jointer, Porter jig,
BigSky
Gold Member

Post by BigSky »

aloibl wrote:Bought my first used Shopsmith Mark V Model 500 about six weeks ago. Seen one at a home and garden show here in Austin, Tx about four years ago and though it was pretty cool. Had a chance to pick one up (got a good bonus from work) so I picked one up for about $1200.00. Came with about everything. bandsaw, jointer, skill saw, tool chest, dust collection system, belt sander, and lots of bits and other accessories. Already bought the biscuit joiner. Been working on cleaning everything up because it hadn't been used for about four years. Headstock seems to run good but the speed dial is kind of hard to turn. Cleaned the gears out in the inside of the headstock and oiled where I am supposed to oil but probably need to take the speed control knob off and take a look at the gears. I think I have watched all of the videos on the shopsmith/academy website. Been reading on this forum for awhile but have not posted anything so I thought it was time.

As I said above I received an older Shopsmith dust collection system with my purchase, Model # AE-0133. Do you know where I can get replacement paper filters for this unit??? Any help would be appreciated.
Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your new set of Shopsmith equipments.

No, I am sorry but I do not know where you can get replacement filters. I did not know that Shopsmith made such a thing. Sure would like to see a picture. Maybe a whole bunch of pictures.
MarkFive510
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

=====================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Wed May 10, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
judaspre1982
Platinum Member

Post by judaspre1982 »

==============================
Last edited by judaspre1982 on Wed May 10, 2017 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

That's the same unit I've got. Purchased from SS in ~'86. Still runs as new, and that is Good!
Despite the label on the motor housing saying it if from SHOPSMITH, Vandalia Ohio, When I asked SS if the current hose fittings were compatible they seemed to disavow any connection with the machine.
The point is: I doubt you'll find paper filters specifically made for this device. And if you're going to seek something readily available that can by modified to work, go for the gusto and look for a FABRIC filter (assy.). 'Twas an option when I got mine and it is, well, perfect. Just shake it out when emptying the drum, ready to go.
(should I take pictures of the unit disassembled? Should be realtively easy to make something that'll work if you can find good filter cloth)
How good is this unit? If mine failed (after a mere 25 years of faultless operation) I would seek another, rather than switch to the DC-xxxx newer model.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;
Stitch
Gold Member

Post by Stitch »

Looking at the picture posted early in this thread, the Shopmate appears to be nothing more than a vacuum head sitting on top of a canister.

Is that correct?

If so, does it seem that a Shopvac power head could be so mounted and have the same effect?

Is the Shopmate also a dust collector?
keakap
Platinum Member

Post by keakap »

Stitch wrote:Looking at the picture posted early in this thread, the Shopmate appears to be nothing more than a vacuum head sitting on top of a canister.

Is that correct?

If so, does it seem that a Shopvac power head could be so mounted and have the same effect?

Is the Shopmate also a dust collector?
Except to say "yes" to the dust collector question, methinks your query is too generalized to be easily answered.
The SM is a "fine" dust collector with the 2-stage filter system, and it's not just a motor plunked on a drum.
Don't know nuttin bout a Shopvac.
Mark V 520, Power-Pro!; Speed Reducer; B/S; Jointer; ShopMate DCS; SS Tenon Master; Rip-Strate; Incra; BCTW; DW734; var. SS sanding systems; Wood River;