Attachments
40-100_3949.jpg
40-100_3949.jpg (62.31 KiB) Viewed 1996 times
44-100_2010.jpg
44-100_2010.jpg (105.29 KiB) Viewed 2004 times
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
Gene Howe
Platinum Member

Post by Gene Howe »

The family and I visited a mill in OR in the early 90's that used a saw like that. The carriage was semi automated and turned the log, returned it for the next cut until it was squared. then it sent it through until produced all the 2Xs that could come out of the log.
They wouldn't let us in the shop, though. I would have liked to see their sharpening operation.
Gene

'The true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him.' G. K. Chesterton
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Now what do they use. Cool blocks or ceramic blocks.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
zacker
Silver Member

Post by zacker »

geeze, id hate to have to pay for new blades!
Wood worker wanna be with some tools, One deaf Aussie/Border Collie Mix, A Coonhound named Sam, twocats and a wife..lol :D
tkhudson
Gold Member

Post by tkhudson »

The really cool ones have teeth on both sides so the log can be sawn in both directions! Wow lots of memories there. Ive seen a few saw blades explode and pieces fly all over. Amazing how a small piece of rebar or an old insulator can destroy one of these huge saws in the blink of an eye... real scary thing to see happen...
boostfan
Gold Member

Post by boostfan »

I heard Norm Abrams was getting one like that for his shop
Brad
Fenton, MI
'90 SS 500 updated to 520
SS ProPlaner w/ power base, Power base, Band Saw, Jig Saw, Belt Sander, Strip Sander, Jointer and Dust Collector
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

tkhudson wrote:The really cool ones have teeth on both sides so the log can be sawn in both directions! Wow lots of memories there. Ive seen a few saw blades explode and pieces fly all over. Amazing how a small piece of rebar or an old insulator can destroy one of these huge saws in the blink of an eye... real scary thing to see happen...
Hey thanks I thought the teeth on the other side was so they could flip the blade to get twice the life. Never thougth about sawing from the other direction. Which now after thinking about it make perfect sense.
Thanks
Ed
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

I would love to have one of those after it brakes to make knives and scrapers with.
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

dasgud wrote:I would love to have one of those after it brakes to make knives and scrapers with.
I wonder if that be true. What I mean is do we know the metallurgical properties of the steel in the blade is. I would guess the main body is a flexible metal with the teeth portion being more hardened and less flexible. Since I imagine you would use the main body of the blade for knife is flexible a desirable quality?
I readily admit I don't know and that is why I'm asking.
I was always told the best knife blades were made from file steel that was left outside for about a year.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dasgud
Gold Member

Post by dasgud »

Ed in Tampa wrote:I wonder if that be true. What I mean is do we know the metallurgical properties of the steel in the blade is. I would guess the main body is a flexible metal with the teeth portion being more hardened and less flexible. Since I imagine you would use the main body of the blade for knife is flexible a desirable quality?
I readily admit I don't know and that is why I'm asking.
I was always told the best knife blades were made from file steel that was left outside for about a year.
I was thinking about filet knives where flexibility is desirable. I use bandsaw steel for draw scrapers/shapers now and it works great for that.
[ATTACH]11982[/ATTACH]
Of course, that's more steel than I would need for a lifetime of scrapers, but I share :).
Do you know why file steel should be left outside to make a good knife?
Attachments
scraper2.jpeg
scraper2.jpeg (8.37 KiB) Viewed 1848 times