Which ShopSmith model do you use in your shop

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What model ShopSmith are you currently using

Mark 7...........RLF dba Shopsmith
10%
10%
8%
8%
8%
13%
8%
12%
15%
8%

Total votes: 822

dusty
Platinum Member

Re: Which ShopSmith model do you use in your shop

Post by dusty »

I don't grease anything. Light weight oil and/or wax are the only things I apply to the Shopsmith.

As for the pork chop, I put nothing on mine. Anything that you would put there will attract the saw dust and cake.

Keep everything else oiled and clean and the potential problems are greatly diminished.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
Plaiter208
Silver Member

Post by Plaiter208 »

That is a good point. I haven’t “finished” cleaning it yet so I’m not ready to start lubricating. The quill is a bit stiff and doesn’t return on its own so I still have that to figure out.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

There should not be a 'pork chop' inside a Mark VII.

The speed control knob rotates a cam which moves the control sheave.

Perhaps a pix is in order.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Plaiter208
Silver Member

Post by Plaiter208 »

I might be able to get a picture later tonight. It may not be a “pork chop” but more like a snail shell.
Plaiter208
Silver Member

Post by Plaiter208 »

From the google drive documents in the repairs section:
#17 is the piece that fell off and #16 (second image) that I called a pork chop or snail shell.
Attachments
A5E9F19B-0CDA-46E2-8426-1EBB433B2B77.jpeg
A5E9F19B-0CDA-46E2-8426-1EBB433B2B77.jpeg (166.62 KiB) Viewed 15527 times
6605D695-417E-472C-A8D7-D308F0A5020B.jpeg
6605D695-417E-472C-A8D7-D308F0A5020B.jpeg (207.99 KiB) Viewed 15527 times
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

IIUC the #17 that 'fell off' is the cam follower that resides in the 'snout' of the control sheave. Check the 'snout' for cracks. It should not be loose enough to 'fall off'.

It may have done so while loose if the speed was increased too quickly. The cam would have pulled it out.

The control sheave and follower are unique to the MVII, so take good care of it! The cam(snail shell) is also both unique and rare.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Plaiter208
Silver Member

Post by Plaiter208 »

Ok, how do I upload pictures and stop getting the “exceeds 2 mb error”?

I took pictures of the cam and sheaves and I can’t get them to upload so y’all can see what I’m talking about.
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

Plaiter208 wrote:Ok, how do I upload pictures and stop getting the “exceeds 2 mb error”?

I took pictures of the cam and sheaves and I can’t get them to upload so y’all can see what I’m talking about.
Down size your pictures (lower resolution).

How does one do that?

Hard to say. What camera are you using?

or

employ a "resize" software package.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I find a lot of useful applications for a bottle of powdered graphite in the shops. It works well on stuff like the pork-chop where you don't want dust caking. Of course you don't want to use it anywhere it can track onto your wood of a project but that is easy to do.
I use it on the door latch of my wood/coal furnace to keep it working freely. If you use oil it burns and cakes up. If it's bare it binds a little. I apply graphite and use a bit of WD-40 to carry it in around the shaft.
I sometimes use a little of it on casters.

--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

robinson46176 wrote:I find a lot of useful applications for a bottle of powdered graphite in the shops. It works well on stuff like the pork-chop where you don't want dust caking. Of course you don't want to use it anywhere it can track onto your wood of a project but that is easy to do.
I use it on the door latch of my wood/coal furnace to keep it working freely. If you use oil it burns and cakes up. If it's bare it binds a little. I apply graphite and use a bit of WD-40 to carry it in around the shaft.
I sometimes use a little of it on casters.

https://www.lawsonproducts.com/AGS/Lock ... d/58570.lp
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝