Which ShopSmith model do you use in your shop

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

What model ShopSmith are you currently using

Mark 7...........RLF dba Shopsmith
10%
10%
8%
8%
8%
13%
8%
12%
15%
8%

Total votes: 822

sidecarmike
Silver Member

Post by sidecarmike »

I upgraded differently than most. I had a greenie (1957) and was happy with it, until one day someone offered me a really cheap 510 (1992) with a belt sander.
I sold the 500 on ebay, (for a modest profit!). I was very happy with it, until I saw a really cheap 520 (2005) on Craigslist one day. It had a bandsaw and jointer and was less than I had invested in the 510.
The 510 went to ebay, minus the sander, and I am now even happier.:D
SidecarMike
Menomonie, WI
pinkiewerewolf
Platinum Member

Post by pinkiewerewolf »

JPG40504 wrote:Pinkie! Glad to see you are 'alive' and 'well'.
Thanks!
And Merry Christmas!

Sorry I couldn't provide much more info on my Mark V but I'm not at home to grab numbers. Mine started as a greenie though and I've upgraded it along the way.
We've begun a house remodel so it is getting into some action again.
John, aka. Pinkie. 1-520, 1-510 & a Shorty, OPR. 520 upgrade, Band Saw, Jig Saw, scroll saw, Jointer, Jointech Saw Train.:) Delta Benchtop planer, Makita LS1016L 10" sliding compound miter saw, Trojan manf. (US Made)Miter saw work center, MiniMax MM16 bandsaw.
Squire of the Shopsmith. ...hmmmm, maybe knave, pawn, or wretch would be more appropriate for me.:D
roy_okc
Platinum Member

Post by roy_okc »

I bought a used, 1983 500 with bandsaw and jointer a few years ago. It was all original at the time, in very good shape for having sat unused in a garage for many years, only a little surface rust that cleaned up nicely. I upgraded to a 2-bearing quill, also had to replace a couple small parts.

I have no intent to upgrade table to 510/520 as I very rarely use the saw (previously used BT3000, now hooked on EurekaZone.com products for cutting); however, if an inexpensive one fell in my lap, I wouldn't complain much. I do want to upgrade to a PowerPro in the next year or so (I guess I wasn't a good boy, nothing from Santa this morning). No room for multiple SSs.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

I have thought heavily about making my 510 into a Power Pro but just not yet. I believe a 4 post automotive lift will find its way into my mechanics/farm shop first, hopefully before spring. That will push the Power Pro back a while. My woodshop is almost non-productive yet so I have trouble feeling too free to spend on things that I want but don't really need. I did have money earmarked for the lift last summer but "life" got into that pocket and pretty much sucked it dry. Way too much going out setting up the horse stuff to get too loose also. :rolleyes: Fencing, plumbing, wiring, stone for the lanes etc.
My 510 has so few actual hours on it that I would maybe migrate its headstock to another unit and convert one with more hours on it (but still good) to a PP. Once I get my shop back into production I may just decide that I just don't need the PP... Still, with most of my woodshop Shopsmith based it is very important to me that Shopsmith "be there" and hopefully the PP sales will provide what is needed for them. Since I want them there I should do my part... And I do "want" one. :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
I did not equip with Shopsmiths in spite of the setups but because of them.
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Francis:

You've got more "irons" in the fire than a foundry.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

8iowa wrote:Francis:

You've got more "irons" in the fire than a foundry.

And as the rest of the line goes "and none of them very hot"... :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
1 1988 - Mark V 510 (bought new), 4 Poly vee 1 1/8th HP Mark V's, Mark VII, 1 Mark V Mini, 1 Frankensmith, 1 10-ER, 1 Mark V Push-me-Pull-me Drillpress, SS bandsaw, belt sander, jointer, jigsaw, shaper attach, mortising attach, TS-3650 Rigid tablesaw, RAS, 6" long bed jointer, Foley/Belsaw Planer/molder/ripsaw, 1" sander, oscillating spindle/belt sander, Scroll saw, Woodmizer sawmill
hdtran
Gold Member

Post by hdtran »

Bought a used 510 (I think it was a 510) almost 10 yrs ago. Serial number indicates it was a 1988 model; came with the flip-down casters (slightly rusty), two auxiliary tables, and some routing accessories (which I don't use, as I have a router). I've added a bandsaw, and the bandsaw offset mounts (though I may remove the bandsaw offset mounts, as they make things shakier).

I will most probably do the PowerPro motor upgrade sometime in early 2011.

I do mostly turning projects.
robinson46176
Platinum Member

Post by robinson46176 »

[quote="robinson46176"]This afternoon I took one of my smaller farm tractors and dragged a large old pallet around about 2 miles of the trails around the farm to break up the about 6 inches of hardened snow. About 9:00 PM I told my wife to bundle up for a Christmas eve sleigh ride. We used our red "electric" sleigh (electric golf cart). ]

We took this "sleigh ride" Christmas eve and this evening (Christmas) we did our family exchange here (about 35 of us) and our son brought in a big box. He knew I was using the golf cart a lot with the horse work and that it had less than effective tires on the back. When I opened the box there was a new pair of chevron (tractor style) tires and wheels for the cart that he had ordered about a week ago... :cool:
Look out snow... here we come. :D
--
farmer
Francis Robinson
sidecarmike
Silver Member

Re: Which ShopSmith model do you use in your shop

Post by sidecarmike »

Due for an update. I still have the 520, which usually stays in table saw mode. I also have a 510 now that is my lathe and sanding station.
I've also got a dust collector, standalone Scroll Saw, a Pro Planer, and a Bandsaw on a powered stand. The belt sander, strip sander, and jointer still get used on one of the Smiths.
masonsailor2
Platinum Member

Re: Which ShopSmith model do you use in your shop

Post by masonsailor2 »

I have six SS, one a 520 PP and five 510’s set up in various permanent configurations. They are set up as a drill press, drum sander, Bandsaw and disc sander, sharpening station, sliding table saw, and the PP is used mostly as a lathe.
Paul