Speed changer belts

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jzeke16
Silver Member

Speed changer belts

Post by jzeke16 »

I'm trying to find replacement belts for my speed changer. I've checked auto parts and lawn mower repair shops and online. No one has the 1/4" sizes. I need a 4LS225 and 4LS255. Does anyone have a source for these sizes? Or have you changed to more conventional sizes?
goffoz
Bronze Member

Post by goffoz »

I bought my belts at a lawn mower parts house, local to me
Its been a long time so I've lost track of the actual label from the belt
but IIRC. they were AA section "mower deck belts".
been working fine for about 2yrs now.
mckenziedt
Gold Member

Post by mckenziedt »

The best you will be able to come up with at a lawnmower parts place will be 4L220 or 4L230 and 4L250 or 4L260. 1/2" length increments are basically custom production runs. You can get one of the belts in the longer of the two choices and one in the shorter size and all should balance out. Or get both in the shorter lenghts and raise you motor mount setting. If you have a larger frame motor than original you would go longer on both belts. You WILL be better off using Goodyear inside cogged belts rather than mower or automotive belts. The cogged belts are more flexible and better suited to the small diameters created by the speed changer and have better grip, so don't need to run as tight, which is easier on bearings. These are not too hard to find at a bearing and power transmission parts store. Also the moderator of this forum, Skip Campbell, sells them from his on line web site.
Don
D.McKenzie
520,510,mini 500,10ER,10E,Band Saws,Jointers,Scroll Saw,Jig Saws,Belt Sanders,Strip Sander,Speed Reducer & Increaser,Pro-Planer,Mortiser,Grinding wheel,Sharpening guides,Lathe Duplicater,Biscuit Joiner,Tendon Jig,Ring Master,Oneway Chuck, Most Arbors,Bits,Blades,Chucks,Cutters,Fences,Safety Items,Sanding & Sawing Items,Shop Accessories,Spare Parts
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

jzeke16 wrote:I'm trying to find replacement belts for my speed changer. I've checked auto parts and lawn mower repair shops and online. No one has the 1/4" sizes. I need a 4LS225 and 4LS255. Does anyone have a source for these sizes? Or have you changed to more conventional sizes?
Original belts were 22-1/2" and 25-1/2". If you can't locate those sizes, 22 and 25 work. (4LS220 and 4LS250). Auto parts stores carry them in my area. Here's a threadthat discussed.
Mike
Sunny San Diego