nuts and bolts-where to buy them

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

farley
Platinum Member

nuts and bolts-where to buy them

Post by farley »

disappointed in the box stores and Ace hardware.

where do some of you all get your nuts and bolts and screws and what nots?

went looking for "T" bolts, after first having to explain what they are to both places and then only finding brass ones in plumbing for toilets setups, where I had to buy more stuff I didn't need then what I did want in the package, thought I might have to start shopping on line for stuff.

while searching for an answer on the site I came upon small a discussion on magnets and computers, not wanting to hi-jack the thread, thought I would post this little info here.

Take apart an old hard drive.--it will take a few minutes, but inside is at least one super strong magnet.

I have a bunch I use all around the shop and at work. And if you know anybody who camps or is into wilderness. While you are in there the hard drive platters make a super mirror to, shave by, or single for help (emergency use) and won't ever break.
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If you do not mind a short drive past hoover dam, you could try this place!

http://www.hayesbolt.com/

When there ask to speak to the QA manager! He is rarely too busy to help a ss freak!:rolleyes:
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

JPG40504 wrote:If you do not mind a short drive past hoover dam, you could try this place!

http://www.hayesbolt.com/

When there ask to speak to the QA manager! He is rarely too busy to help a ss freak!:rolleyes:
Or, you could just email him at quality@hayesbolt.com and he could ship you whatever you need.

and p.s. Their website isn't much but it's a really cool place to work.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote:Or, you could just email him at quality@hayesbolt.com and he could ship you whatever you need.

See! He is helpful even though not 'at work'!:cool:

P.S. A PM works faster(he reads them over the weekend).

BTW what do you consider to be a 't-bolt'? I assume they are NOT a close relative to a t-nut!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

You can find every type of fasterner immaginable at McMaster Carr ( http://www.mcmaster.com ).

This is a very large industrial supply company based in Atlanta. They ship very fast.
farley
Platinum Member

Post by farley »

a "t"bolt looks like a "T" with the "T" part at the top and the threads below.

looks like a regular hex head bolt, except the hex head is shapped like a T
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

farley wrote:a "t"bolt looks like a "T" with the "T" part at the top and the threads below.

looks like a regular hex head bolt, except the hex head is shapped like a T
MANY varieties. No firm standards in place for design. Know what you need and order accordingly AFTER seeing pictures.
Mike
Sunny San Diego
holsgo
Platinum Member

Post by holsgo »

http://www.mmsacc-stainless.com/

I posted this in another thread. Easy to use. Just call. An actual, english speaking person answers and will sell you whatever amount you need. No crazy phone tree.

Next is MSC for just about anything else.

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/nnsrhm
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

8iowa wrote:You can find every type of fasterner immaginable at McMaster Carr ( www.mcmaster.com ).

This is a very large industrial supply company based in Atlanta. They ship very fast.

They specified shipment in two weeks when I ordered replacement jaws for my jacobs 20N chuck.]too [/B]easy!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

8iowa wrote:You can find every type of fasterner immaginable at McMaster Carr ( www.mcmaster.com ).

Every fastener except the highest tensile fastener ever developed for commerical sale......the F911 (aka Grade 9) at 180,000 psi.

Whadda ya think of that tensile Troy? Inconsistant but occasional ultimate tensile of 215,000 psi
Mike
Sunny San Diego