Table Saw guards old versus new help

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

billboyle2
Bronze Member

Table Saw guards old versus new help

Post by billboyle2 »

Brand new to the forum.
My father, Bill Boyle, purchased his Mark V system in 1981. He added some accessories that included the band saw.

My dad was a very skilled woodworker and was involved with industrial hardware for many years. He was also a Shopsmith "Good Neighbor." In 2002, he passed away and as the eldest son, all his wonderful woodworking tools passed to me, including the Mark V.

As a child he was quite willing to show me how things worked, however, once I became an adult and went my own way, I had little opportunity to see him operate the Shopsmith equipment. "His" Shopsmith has been covered and moved around in the garage by me since his death and I have not been ready to get into it until now to figure the system out. The old manual was not helpful very much. Why did it take so long. Well, my dad made jigs for so many things and toiled making them precise that I've been reluctant to toss them out not knowing what they were used for. Some may have been for specific projects--unknown to me--and others may have been designed to facilitate Shopsmith operation. Not sure. He was a man that created tools and modified existing ones. He left me with puzzling "pieces parts." ;) I have often muttered, "what the heck is this for." :confused:

The Mark V unit is in great physical shape. The aluminum top guard, splitter and under table guard are not in place for lack of the extension that ties it all together. That piece is missing.

I'm reluctant to use the table saw without a guard system. I see that there is a new version that is a retrofit for that old unit. Will someone please tell me about the two systems, the pros and cons between the too as I either need to get a new extension piece to assemble the old guards or update the Mark V to today's standards. Thanks you.

Bill Boyle
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

I really want to be of assistance but I am not absolutely certain I understand your current dilemma. Hopefully the attachment to this message will help. I think you might find related information on page 10 of this PDF.

Page 10 details the upper and lower saw guards and includes the splitter. You have not said what Model Mark V you have so these images may not be exact; however, the differences from model to model are usually not significant for this sort of discussion. If you want to be certain, post the serial number of your machine and the forum members will know exactly what you have.

If not, please repost your question. Possibly adding some photo images would help.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
rkh2
Platinum Member

Post by rkh2 »

Welcome to the forum Bill. You will find that there are many folks here that are going to be more than willing to help you with all the questions you may have. So glad to hear that you are keeping your dad's tools. Sounds like a treasure trove of jigs and such that he passed on. The Mark V is a well built, quality and precise machine which can produce blue ribbon winners. As you learn more about it from this group you will cherish it more each day. By the way, fill out your profile and let us know what part of the country you reside in. Who knows, there may be a SS owner close by who can offer hands on assistance.
Ron from Lewisburg, TN
Ron309753
Gold Member

Post by Ron309753 »

Bill,

I understand your reluctance to use it without the upper guard. If the piece that you are talking about is the unpainted stamped steel (or was it aluminum) piece that connects to the upper and lower guards, you won’t find it anywhere. You would have to buy a replacement upper guard from feEbay.

Assuming you have a 500 table system, I strongly recommend you replace the old aluminum guard with the new plastic guard (ShopSmith part # 513483). It is much more convenient and you can see where the saw is cutting the stock as you make the cut. You can also find the plastic guards on feEbay, but make sure it comes with the mounting block. The new upper guard works independent of the lower old aluminum saw guard, so the two will work together.

Tell us where you are and maybe a nearby user can offer local assistance.

Sincerely,

Ron309753
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

Hi Bill,

ShopSmith will probably have what you need. A call to customer service (800 543 7586) will get you the help to identify what you need and they will fill your order too.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
billboyle2
Bronze Member

Post by billboyle2 »

My dad's Mark V 500 was purchased in Feb 1981 and bears serial number 81652.
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

billboyle2 wrote:My dad's Mark V 500 was purchased in Feb 1981 and bears serial number 81652.
FYI - Feb / Mar 1981 date of manufacture. See bottom of this page:
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/faq/markv.htm
Mike
Sunny San Diego
billboyle2
Bronze Member

Time passes without resolution--help still needed

Post by billboyle2 »

To make a long story short, I haven't been able to figure out how to use the table saw guard system on this 1981 machine.

The PDF previously provided in this thread was of a newer Shopsmith Mark V. The diagram doesn't illustrate the guards upper and lower that I have.

The pieces in question are not plastic but cast aluminum--the color of the Shopsmith.

From what I can tell from my research, there is a bracket missing that attaches to the splitter which has the anti-kick-back fingers. The bracket attaches to the lower guard that is mounted on the quill.

I've taken a few photos to display. Perhaps this will be helpful to visualize what I am talking about.

I contacted tech help this morning and the fellow led me to the exploded view on the SS website. That exploded view is also a new guard system.

Now, I am not thrilled with the guard pieces that I have. Not being able to see the blade as would be the case with the top guard--isn't very good IMO. Finger protection is key, but so is making precision wood cuts and I can't see how that could be done with these pieces. My dad used this machine for many years, yet I believe he didn't bother with the top guard and splitter. He was quite the experienced woodworker and was expertise with large industrial table saws. Anyway, this guard system is what I currently have in my possession. The table saw has been left idle for well over 10 years at a minimum. The band saw is operational.

I was told by the SS tech that the clear plastic guard that SS now sells will mount on my machine. This may be the case. However, I would like to get this old guard system and the puzzling aspect of it resolved. Any assistance would be appreciated. I reside in Plantation, Florida. Anyone local to me?

Bill Boyle
MikeG
Gold Member

Post by MikeG »

I think that you are looking for the part called "extension bracket" part number: 507183, shown in fig. 2 of the manual: [ATTACH]19999[/ATTACH]

It attaches with the button head screws, part number: 506176. I hope this helps.
Attachments
Upper Saw Guard.pdf
(250.06 KiB) Downloaded 758 times
reible
Platinum Member

Post by reible »

Hi,

I will try to get the paper work for the old guard out and scan it for you.

Yes you are missing a part, any chance you might have over looked it with the other things you have? I might be able to dig mine out this weekend and get a picture of it, or maybe the paper work will give you an idea of what to look for.

Unless someone else posts the information before me look forward to it later tonight.

Ed