Motor Rebuild?

Forum for Maintenance and Repair topics. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bfoss
Bronze Member

Motor Rebuild?

Post by bfoss »

Looking for some detailed help here. I was ripping a 4X4 and my Mark V (serial number 146700) got slower and slower then popped the circuit breaker. Of course I reset the circuit and tried again. It got worse, then I noticed the smoke :(
I took apart the headstock and unmounted the motor. Sitting on the bench I plugged the motor in, flipped the switch and got a hum and a spark. :eek:
Other than that everything looks OK.
So, am I "fried" or is it possible to do repairs on the motor myself. I'm currently un-employed and can't spend the $400+ for a new motor.
I followed the videos on disassembling the headstock and was hoping for similar references on the motor.
Thanks for all the great help and advice on the forum!
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Shopsmith does not have repair information on the motor. I'll suggest taking it to a motor repair shop for a "diagnosis". If the repair is too expensive, such as a rewind, look on eBay. Used motors usually go for 1/4 or less than the cost of a new motor.
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

bfoss wrote:Looking for some detailed help here. I was ripping a 4X4 and my Mark V (serial number 146700) got slower and slower then popped the circuit breaker. Of course I reset the circuit and tried again. It got worse, then I noticed the smoke :(
I took apart the headstock and unmounted the motor. Sitting on the bench I plugged the motor in, flipped the switch and got a hum and a spark. :eek:
Other than that everything looks OK.
So, am I "fried" or is it possible to do repairs on the motor myself. I'm currently un-employed and can't spend the $400+ for a new motor.
I followed the videos on disassembling the headstock and was hoping for similar references on the motor.
Thanks for all the great help and advice on the forum!
I have had great success rebuilding/repairing "non-operating" Shopsmith motors. If your motor has a burnt smell, then replacing it may be the only solution. I have not found any factory information for any Shopsmith motor.

I have been able to accumulate a lot of information and pictures from experience and doing different modifications to the motors. Contact me off-line with all the motor information and any pictures you may have of the motor. I can offer my opinion/information as to what I believe is possible with your motor. I can help you in disassembling and testing your motor once I know what motor you have.
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

If the motor is an 'Emerson' and it IS fried, please contact me prior to 'discarding it'. I be needing an 'internal' part. TIA
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
bfoss
Bronze Member

Not an Emerson

Post by bfoss »

Its an "A.O. Smith"
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

bfoss wrote:Its an "A.O. Smith"
That is what I get for NOT being Irish!:D
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
------------------------
Gold Member

Post by ------------------------ »

Hey bfoss!
I have a greenie motor that I can part with. I am in Redwood City. You can reach me at (650) 619-8447
Mark
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Dumb me..............I'll have a couple of spare motors after I get my Power Pro kits later this month. Send me a PM.