Heath's Woodworking Projects

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

heathicus
Platinum Member

Heath's Woodworking Projects

Post by heathicus »

Yeah, I'm copying MickyD again. Sue me!

[ATTACH]8739[/ATTACH]

I had wanted to make the same lanterns that MickyD is making for my mom for Christmas. I just didn't have time, so I moved it to Mother's Day. And here I am, a week before Mother's Day and I'm just getting started. Made good progress today, though, and experienced a few woodworking "firsts" for me.

This was my first time to work with a good quality hardwood. Previously, I've always used pine lumber from Lowes, MDF, or fought with recycled pallet wood. But for this project, I used some African Mahogany that mbcabinetmaker was kind enough to send quite a few months ago.

This was also the first time to use a good, quality saw blade. I used a Freud Avanti thin kerf blade. What a nice change over the cheap blades from Lowes I've always used! Very smooth cuts and like cutting through butter with a warm knife.

This was also the first time to use a push shoe. I had made one a few months back, but I've been spending my limited shop time with the bandsaw so hadn't had cause to use it. But it was required for these small pieces and gave me much more control than a push stick.

I also learned that I need to learn more about planning my cuts and making the most of my available wood. I ended up wasting a lot more wood than I would have liked to. I hope this is something that comes with experience. I'll discuss that as I go through my progress today.

I started by cutting the rails and styles first. I don't have the glass yet, so I haven't cut them (or anything else) to length - just width and thickness. The pieces of wood I had were nearly 1" thick, around 12" long, and varying widths. I ripped off a few strips about 1-1/4" wide as I was comfortable resawing that on the bandsaw with my 1/4" blade. Then I resawed each strip in half, then used my planer to bring them all to 1/4" thick. I realized at that stage that, had I been a little more confident in my bandsawing, I could have gotten three 1/4" strips instead of just two.

After planing, I ripped each strip further down into 1/2" strips. This was where the push shoe came in really handy!

But, I ended up making way too many of them. The plans stated about 21' of 1/2"x1/4" material was needed. My stock was all 12" long, so I planned on cutting 25 or so strips 1/2"x1/4". When I was done, somehow I had almost doubled that and ended up with 46 of them! Wow, what a waste. I guess I was just having so much fun I got carried away. But, they all came out perfectly.

ImageImage
Attachments
candle.jpg
candle.jpg (34.88 KiB) Viewed 26961 times
Heath
Central Louisiana
-10ER - SN 13927, Born 1949, Acquired October 2008, Restored November, 2008
-10ER - SN 35630, Born 1950, Acquired April 2009, Restored May 2009, A34 Jigsaw
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
-10ER - SN 39722, Born 1950, Acquired March 2011, awaiting restoration
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

I was hoping that I could make two sets of the lanterns, but I don't think I have enough of the African Mahogany for bases and upper trim pieces for two full sets.

After making the rails and stiles, I cut the top trim pieces. These were to be 1" by 1/2" and I followed the same procedure. Ripped the stock down to 1" wide strips, resawed to get a piece just over 1/2", then planed down to final thickness. This was another place where I realized I could have been wiser with my cuts. The stock wasn't thick enough to get two 1/2" strips when I resawed, but I could have used the cutoffs for the 1/4" rails and stiles. Now, that is just scrap. Another waste.

After getting the upper trim parts to 1"x1/2", I needed to rout a 1/4" roundover down one corner. I don't have my router table built yet, and my only 1/4" roundover bit is 1/4" shank. My router only has a 1/2" collet. So... I know this is a no-no, but I did it anyway. I chucked the router in the drill and used the Shopsmith.

I used the shaper fence, a homemade feather board, a scrap piece clamped to the fence as a hold down, turned the Shopsmith all the way to "Fast," then pushed each piece through with a push stick. It actually came out very well. I was pleased with the result. I'm anxious now to get a router table built (and a 1/4" collet for my router). The roundover was routed a bit "deep" in order to leave a 1/8" lip. A trip over to the table saw extended (shortened?) that lip to 1/8".

Each one of these lengths of trim pieces should be long enough to make 2 trim pieces for the project. If not, I'll just need to make more.

So, now I just need to find some glass. I know a guy that does a bit of stained glass work and has a good selection of different types of glass in different colors and textures. I might pay him a visit tomorrow.

And since I can post one more picture, here are all my cuts from today stacked up all nice and neat.

Heath
Central Louisiana
-Mark V - SN 212052, Born 1986, Acquired Sept 2009, Restored March 2010, Bandsaw
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

Oh, and somewhere in the midst of it all, I knocked the hold down that attaches to the safety grip off of my workbench onto the concrete floor...

Good thing a replacement is cheap.
Heath
Central Louisiana
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

Excellent progress Heath!! The quality of those cuts make mine look hand whittled. I need to get a good blade like you did.

You are so correct about proper cut planning on this type of project. With so many pieces, and so many options on how to cut, if you want minimal waste, planning is essential. JPG provided a great post for an optimized cutting plan that I sketched out showing a great cutting layout with very little waste. I'm working on a sketchup version of this cutting plan that I'll post on my thread when I am done.

Be prepare for some mental gymnastics when it comes time to cut the top pieces :D. Suggestion here....since I just cut mine yesterday, cut to the 5-1/8" first before you add the miter angle. I cut a smidgen long to allow for sanding to the exact length. Oh, and when you sand them, DON'T stick your thumb into the sanding disk like I did!!!!

Before you cut the angle, mark the direction of the angle on the wood and make just 1 first as your model and hold on to it for comparison. I tried cutting mine pieces directly to the 45 angle, to the finished length dimension, and ended out making a nice little pile of scrap.

Good luck. Hopefully mine will be done today (thumbs a tad on the sore side though :o )
Mike
Sunny San Diego
charlese
Platinum Member

Post by charlese »

Hi, Heath! Don't want to mess up your nifty thread with a bunch of side issues, but wanted to thank you for showing the nice moldings that can be made with the SS shaper attachment. Yes, use of the drill chuck is not good, but your hold down board and feather board was real good!
Octogenarian's have an earned right to be a curmudgeon.
Chuck in Lancaster, CA
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

mickyd wrote: . . .

Good luck. Hopefully mine will be done today (thumbs a tad on the sore side though :o )
I seem to recall warning about that!!!!!:rolleyes: (elsewhere)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

charlese wrote:Hi, Heath! Don't want to mess up your nifty thread with a bunch of side issues, but wanted to thank you for showing the nice moldings that can be made with the SS shaper attachment. Yes, use of the drill chuck is not good, but your hold down board and feather board was real good!
Methinks the drill chuck is acceptable when using small bits as long as runout is minimal. Key is the small amount of side thrust experienced during shaping.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
kalynzoo
Platinum Member

Post by kalynzoo »

Beautiful project. Excellent thread. Thank you for sharing your planning and progress. As for wasted wood...never. Just store the little pieces, it is amazing how they will find a use in design and accent.
If only I could find a use for the sawdust.:rolleyes:
Again, Beautiful.
Gary Kalyn
Kalynzoo Productions
Woodworking
Porter Ranch/Northridge
Los Angeles, CA
mickyd
Platinum Member

Post by mickyd »

heathicus wrote:..........

ImageImage
Heath.....Harbor Freight......6" digital caliper......$9.99........:p
Mike
Sunny San Diego
heathicus
Platinum Member

Post by heathicus »

That one was 1/10th the price! :p
Heath
Central Louisiana