Shopsmith "Self Study Course"

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

tunznath
Gold Member

new owner intro and question

Post by tunznath »

Hi All
been reading all the postings on here and this is my first post - have just bought a used shopsmith with the planer, jointer, bandsaw, dust collector, router attachment that fits on the drill press, along with sharpening jigs for the planer knives and for lathe tools, I learnt woodworking in the workshop of my late fathers business, and have done bits on and off through my life including building 3 yachts, 1 wood and the others Glassfibre, but now I want to brush up on my shopsmith knowledge and am also looking for training materials mostly to do with the shopsmith machine, i was thinking Powertool woodworking for everyone.I was derusting te bed of the jointer and it took me a while to figure out how to move the fence off the jointer - (see what years of working with small powertools in a yacht in a marina does:D )

Well after that long intro
heres my question
Can I order a copy from Shopsmith - are they still in business? - heard rumors

How do I know which one to get, I looked on Ebay and they all have different covers.

Many thanks in advance for your help and its great to see the forum is alive and well,- thanks to all the posters for the info that I have learned while lurking on here - Nath
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tunznath wrote:Hi All
been reading all the postings on here and this is my first post - have just bought a used shopsmith with the planer, jointer, bandsaw, dust collector, router attachment that fits on the drill press, along with sharpening jigs for the planer knives and for lathe tools, I learnt woodworking in the workshop of my late fathers business, and have done bits on and off through my life including building 3 yachts, 1 wood and the others Glassfibre, but now I want to brush up on my shopsmith knowledge and am also looking for training materials mostly to do with the shopsmith machine, i was thinking Powertool woodworking for everyone.I was derusting te bed of the jointer and it took me a while to figure out how to move the fence off the jointer - (see what years of working with small powertools in a yacht in a marina does:D )

Well after that long intro
heres my question
Can I order a copy from Shopsmith - are they still in business? - heard rumors

How do I know which one to get, I looked on Ebay and they all have different covers.

Many thanks in advance for your help and its great to see the forum is alive and well,- thanks to all the posters for the info that I have learned while lurking on here - Nath
Welcome to the forum. Glad to have you with us.

Yes, you can still buy Power Tool Woodworking For Everyone.

In case you are now aware of the Shopsmith site, you might want to spend some time browsing.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
tunznath
Gold Member

Post by tunznath »

Hi Thanks for the welcome - i have been browsing the shopsmith site, just need to figure out if they will ship to the Azores - PORTUGAL and how much, I am missing a couple of things like lathe tools, which I can probably get from the UK, and save on any import duties, I also am in need of a manual for the dust collector in case theres any gremlins I need to know about and I am missing two of the small bolts that tighten the round serrated aluminium lock handle thingies that stop the table from sliding down, Also I have a few issues with the machine, I hope they arent a roblem, like when I extend the quill, it is stiff for the first few inches, and then extends easily and when it goes back in it is easy and the last inch and a half it is stiff, also when rotating the shaft it makes a bit of noise, the lady i bought it from also a boatbuilder was using it the day before I got it to plane wood, it seems to be in quite good condition, maybe needs a bit of servicing, Will contact the shopsmith site about the things I need. and see what they say.

regards
nath
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Welcome to the forums Nath. Did ya try cleaning the teeth, underneath the quill?
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
tunznath
Gold Member

Post by tunznath »

Hi Bob
Thanks, I havent done that yet, did look and they looked clean, but will clean them anyhow - I dont think the quill was extended very often, it was used by the previous owner as a saw and for driving the planer, mostly, so I think it needs a bit of exercise. I think I am going to give it a good looking over following the maintenance and setup booklet that i got with it. Thanks everyone for the warm welcome and the help, this is a nice forum.
nath
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tunznath wrote:Hi Thanks for the welcome - i have been browsing the shopsmith site, just need to figure out if they will ship to the Azores - PORTUGAL and how much, I am missing a couple of things like lathe tools, which I can probably get from the UK, and save on any import duties, I also am in need of a manual for the dust collector in case theres any gremlins I need to know about and I am missing two of the small bolts that tighten the round serrated aluminium lock handle thingies that stop the table from sliding down, Also I have a few issues with the machine, I hope they arent a roblem, like when I extend the quill, it is stiff for the first few inches, and then extends easily and when it goes back in it is easy and the last inch and a half it is stiff, also when rotating the shaft it makes a bit of noise, the lady i bought it from also a boatbuilder was using it the day before I got it to plane wood, it seems to be in quite good condition, maybe needs a bit of servicing, Will contact the shopsmith site about the things I need. and see what they say.

regards
nath

Does this mean you have a model 10 E/ER and the table lock knobs are missing the threaded bolt?????
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tunznath
Gold Member

Post by tunznath »

Hi No it is a mark 5 with the saw table and the floating tables - i think there are 3 or 4 tables, have the serial number looks like a date, cant remember, its in the workshop now.

I am missing the two studs Part nos 501290 and 501293 that fit into the cylindrical serrated aluminium thing you twist to lock the the floating table - its called a sleeve and insert assembly 514649

I would like an 10 er or another one ( mark 5) just here there arent many, on this little island, in fact i think this is the only one here - tho there are 9 islands in the group

nath
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

tunznath wrote:Hi No it is a mark 5 with the saw table and the floating tables - i think there are 3 or 4 tables, have the serial number looks like a date, cant remember, its in the workshop now.

I am missing the two studs Part nos 501290 and 501293 that fit into the cylindrical serrated aluminium thing you twist to lock the the floating table - its called a sleeve and insert assembly 514649

I would like an 10 er or another one ( mark 5) just here there arent many, on this little island, in fact i think this is the only one here - tho there are 9 islands in the group

nath

Are you referring to 10,11,12 or 21,22,23 in the view below?

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/partscat/bench_baseassemblyexpview.htm

If so, PM me!
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
tunznath
Gold Member

Post by tunznath »

Hi JPG
just 21 and 23, are missing
just looked at the page you sent and went to the parts list and there is no option to buy 21 and 23, is that right?

Nath
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

tunznath wrote:Hi JPG
just 21 and 23, are missing
just looked at the page you sent and went to the parts list and there is no option to buy 21 and 23, is that right?

Nath
I'm not sure about the individual parts but the "Accessory Mount Lock" is available as an assembly. The on-line catalog indicates that the individual parts cannot be ordered. I recommend a call to Customer Service (1-800-543-7586).

http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/itemfind.htm?item=501290&Submit=Find+Item
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.