Shopsmith's NEW Ceramic Sandpaper Discs

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

lv2wdwrk
Gold Member

Post by lv2wdwrk »

Received the following email today.

!! AMAZING NEW PRODUCT !!
Fast-Cutting – Long-Lasting – Non-Clogging
These are clearly the carbide sawblades of abrasive discs!"
Jim McCann (Shopsmith's resident woodworking expert)_

Ceramic Sandpaper DiscsThis all-new ceramic grain-coated abrasive material was developed specifically for the commercial woodworking industry and, depending on the application, will easily deliver...

...Five to ten times the life of standard aluminum oxide abrasives!

Their performance is nothing short of AMAZING! The open-coat application of the particles to the rugged cloth backing resists clogging and extends Disc life well beyond what you could expect from more conventional abrasives. And, as described in the test results below, the super-sharp ceramic abrasive particles cut very quickly without burning the workpieces.

The 36 and 60-grit Discs are provided on a super-heavy "Y" weight PSA cotton-poly backing, while all other grits feature a heavy "X" weight cotton-poly backing.

We subjected these ceramic abrasive coated Discs to some truly brutal tests and they came through with flying colors on all fronts! Yes, they're a bit more costly than aluminum oxide... but you can believe us when we say... They're well worth it! Order yours today and prove it to yourself under our Risk-Free, 90-Day, Money-Back Guarantee!

Ceramic Abrasives Test Results

The following describes a series of six internal tests of these 12" Ceramic Abrasive Discs, conducted by Jim McCann, Shopsmith's resident woodworking expert. All tests were conducted in-house, using a single 100-grit 12" Ceramic Disc on the Shopsmith MARK V – at approximately 1,600 RPM

Test #1: 2" x 4" x 2' Knotty White Pine
Test #2: 1" x 3" x 2' Cherry
Test #3: 1" x 3" x 2' Hard Maple
Test #4: 2" x 4" x 2' Pressure Treated Yellow Pine
Test #5: 1" x 3" x 2' Red Oak
Test #6: 1" x 3" x 2' White Oak

In each of the tests above, we force-fed our workpieces into the rotating 100-grit Disc as quickly as possible, until the wood was sanded down to just 4" long.
The tests each required from four to eight minutes to complete... around 40 minutes for the complete series, after which our MARK V Headstock was quite warm.

As we completed each of the six tests, our Disc was holding (but not clogged with) sanding dust. It's interesting to note that each time we switched from wood-to-wood, the sawdust from each previous wood was actually displaced by the sawdust from the new wood. This demonstrated clearly that that sawdust was, in no case, adhering tightly to the abrasive particles. When we finished the 6-test series, we simply used an abrasive cleaning stick to remove all signs of sawdust from the Disk, and return it to like-new condition and color... almost as if it had never been used at all!

It's also important to note that at no time was there any evidence whatsoever of workpiece burning during or after completion of these tests. This is truly amazing, considering the speed at which we forced the stock into the rotating Disc.

All are Four-Disc Packages -- $24.84 each
556146 General Purpose Assortment
(One 80, one 100, two 120 grit)

556145 Four Grit Assortment
(One each, 60, 80, 100 & 120 grit) 556140 36 Grit (4 Discs)
556141 60 Grit (4 Discs)
556142 80 Grit (4 Discs)
556143 100 Grit (4 Discs)
556144 120 Grit (4 Discs)

CLICK HERE TO ORDER

Click Here To Access This Great Offer Now
http://www.shopsmith.com/ownersite/specials/7DT02.htm

Order Toll-Free by Phone, If You Prefer -- 1-800-543-7586
Call before 5:00 pm EST. Give your Shopsmith Representative this code...(7DT02) when calling.

Anyone know anything about this type of sandpaper?
Bob

Don't try to make sense out of nonsense!
jdramsey
Gold Member

Post by jdramsey »

I'm tempted to order that sanding disks just see if it really works. I just found the email ad a few minutes ago.

My next question is, who is Jim McCann, the new ShopSmith resident woodworking expert?
Jim Ramsey
Lakewood, CA

"When people find out that my hobby is woodworking, they often ask what do I do with it. I tell them that I am very good at making sawdust and expensive firewood."
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

jdramsey wrote:I'm tempted to order that sanding disks just see if it really works. I just found the email ad a few minutes ago.

My next question is, who is Jim McCann, the new ShopSmith resident woodworking expert?
I do not believe he is 'new'.
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
jdramsey
Gold Member

Post by jdramsey »

I don't remember seeing his name or photo before. I'm pretty sure I've seen all of the videos online and read everything about shopsmith that I could get my hands on. Perhaps he is just "new" to me. How long has been with SS? If anybody knows?
Jim Ramsey
Lakewood, CA

"When people find out that my hobby is woodworking, they often ask what do I do with it. I tell them that I am very good at making sawdust and expensive firewood."
kd6vpe
Platinum Member

Post by kd6vpe »

Jim Mccann has been with shopsmith for a long time. If you watch the sawdust session on making box joints you will see him with Nick. He was the quality control guy for many years. And on a side note I got a job at Target in Logistics so back to makin money again. wooohooo!!! Not much but it is something. Thanks for all the wishes guys it really helped.

Makin sawdust and money;)
SS 500 upgraded to 510; SS bandsaw; SS jointer
SS Oscillating Drum Sander; Universal Lathe Rest;
lathe duplicatior, shaper fence and shapers; SS Belt
Sander
Jim
www.youtube.com/kd6vpe
alaskanexile
Gold Member

Post by alaskanexile »

Didn't see where the promo specified whether the discs are velcro backed or adhesive.
Roger
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

alaskanexile wrote:Didn't see where the promo specified whether the discs are velcro backed or adhesive.
Roger
That was my first thought too! Someone could phone SS and ask. If you do, report back here please.

Jim McCann is a long time employee at ShopSmith and he is someone that Nick referred to often at the company.
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.
easterngray
Platinum Member

Post by easterngray »

Check this video out - It's Jim himself with the disc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mVBY9vx8JE
1960 Aniversary Model Mark 5 500 "Goldie" with most SPT's
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

They are PSA.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
fixit
Gold Member

Post by fixit »

The discs are PSA or pressure sensitive adhesive.

When I first read the information my thought was "I gotta have some of these." Then I saw the PSA information. Changed my mind. I have been using the velcro attachment system for a while and really like it.

Not sure I want to go back to PSA even if the discs work as much better as they say. Could change my mind if folks rave about them here but for now I'll stay with what I have.
----------------------------------------
Leonard
La Vernia, TX
Wood Goods - Custom Woodwork
EMAIL: woodgoods "at" lavernia "dot" net
PowerPro 520, PowerPro 500 (was my father's 500), SS jointer, SS Mark V mount planer, SS bandsaws (2), belt sander, scroll saw, SS jig saws (2), strip sander, Jointech system, 12" Delta Compound Miter Saw, a small collection of routers, a router table and a Delta Unisaw. All in a 24' x 24' shop.