my shop

This is a forum for intermediate to advanced woodworkers. Show off your projects or share your ideas.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

bobw1953
Gold Member

my shop

Post by bobw1953 »

I was asked if I would post pictures of my shop. This is 12 X 20 free standing purchased building. Wired 120vac only fluorescent lighting and electric heat small window AC. The SS is perfect for this shop and for the type of projects I like to do.

Bob
Attachments
DSCN0172.JPG
DSCN0172.JPG (358.96 KiB) Viewed 2531 times
DSCN0173.JPG
DSCN0173.JPG (390.88 KiB) Viewed 2473 times
DSCN0176.JPG
DSCN0176.JPG (362.08 KiB) Viewed 2475 times
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

bobw1953 wrote:I was asked if I would post pictures of my shop. This is 12 X 20 free standing purchased building. Wired 120vac only fluorescent lighting and electric heat small window AC. The SS is perfect for this shop and for the type of projects I like to do.

Bob

Perfect get away. When you open the doors are you looking directly at the Mark V?

I really like the way you utilize the wall space up high on that one end.

I would be considering a sky light to bring in more natural light for those gray days when you have to keep the doors closed (unless, of course, you don't have those in Kansas).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
cv3
Gold Member

Post by cv3 »

Nice Bob. I wish I had gone 12x 20 my shop is 12 x16 I could use that 4 feet.
This is my back yard get away.
[ATTACH]7555[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]7556[/ATTACH]
Attachments
CVS.jpg
CVS.jpg (146.74 KiB) Viewed 2820 times
CVS3.jpg
CVS3.jpg (198.97 KiB) Viewed 2873 times
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
8iowa
Platinum Member

Post by 8iowa »

Great work guys. Be sure to include your shops in the "Shop size poll" which has been running for over a year.

http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/showthread.htm?t=2254
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

I have a question. I work in a double car garage 22x22 with assorted non shop things (Lawn tractor, lawn and garden tools, edger, freezer, cabinet full of planting supplies, can food shelf, painting supplies and such) so my effective area is probably 20x20

I was wondering how it would be to work in half that space as I would like my dedicated shop and I was eye balling a 20x12 shed.

Tell me you that own shops about this size should I even consider a shed this size. Or should I go a little smaller 8x10 and move the non shop items out of my garage? This would effectively make my shop size larger and allow me to have 22x12 unobstrucked room when I pull my truck out and full 22x22 with both vehicles out.

Wife votes for the smaller shed, saying having the shop in the garage is a good thing. I vote for a larger shed and moving my shop out of the garage.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

My shop is 20x20 and though I sometimes wish it was larger it really is adequate. That is especially true when I keep it "my shop".

I do not store a lot of uncut materials. If I did, I believe that space would soon become inadequate.

I do have some items that get rolled out into the drive way when I have serious projects to work on (weather permitting). This helps a lot. It gives me more elbow room. It is also a pain when I need to quit working. Everything that was rolled out is rolled back in.

If I could move to an environmentally controlled space of equal size and removed from the house, I would. I catch a lot of hell for tracking saw dust and chips into the house (the shop is attached).
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
cocacola1012
Gold Member

Post by cocacola1012 »

bobw1953 wrote:I was asked if I would post pictures of my shop. This is 12 X 20 free standing purchased building. Wired 120vac only fluorescent lighting and electric heat small window AC. The SS is perfect for this shop and for the type of projects I like to do.Bob
How is it wired? Is the a line running from the main breaker to feed all the outlets and lights? I did that to my "little shop". I ran a line to a switch then tied it into the fluorescents and an industrial power strip. It worked, till I got taken over with Christmas decorations. Now I work out of the back of a two car garage.
nomoman
Gold Member

Post by nomoman »

I remember seeing a picture of a huge shop on here. It had trapdoors on the floor. Also it had a big worl bench right in the middle. The size looked like you could fit Norm's shop in there and still have room. Does anyone remember that?
I see said the blindman, to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Shopsmith Mark V. DC3300
Jared
cv3
Gold Member

Post by cv3 »

I would vote for the shop in the shed and not have to worry with moving cars. I with my luck would not move one when I should have and be in trouble with the wife.
Make today a day that lets you smile!
CV
Mobile Al.
MARK V 520 - Band saw and Jointer. DeWalt scroll saw.
shipwright
Platinum Member

Post by shipwright »

nomoman wrote:I remember seeing a picture of a huge shop on here. It had trapdoors on the floor. Also it had a big worl bench right in the middle. The size looked like you could fit Norm's shop in there and still have room. Does anyone remember that?
My home shop in Canada is 30' x 40' and has been in the background of some of my photos.I do have trapdoors to access the underfloor dust collection system and I do have a large outfeed table / bench. Maybe that was what you remember.

Paul M
Paul M ........ The early bird gets the worm but the second mouse gets the cheese