Under cabinet storage questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jcmbs
Silver Member

Post by jcmbs »

Swamp gator:

That is one rugged setup, looks like it is ready for hauling right next to the portable bandsaw mill. I think the one you are reffering to is in the previous post.

Iclark:

That is one of the machines that gave me the idea to go this way instead of the hanging cabinet. What do you think the Disk on the upper accessory drive is for? Disk sander? Nice setup seems very well thought out maybe I should just build to the legs. Though it seems that a cabinet with 90 degree corners would be the least demanding build.

Major Bob:

I do often see the oldest machines on Craigs list mounted astride a bench, and I believe some of Montgomery Ward models were first built this way. I'm still unsure whether the taper of the legs is give clearance or balance to the machine yet keep it light and mobile (after all shipping cost would play into sales, production ect..) or just a cosmetic look. I'll have some time this weekend to set it up and really measure out and experiment with positioning. I think the extra weight will benifit, though totally not needed for 80-90 % of turning projects I have encountered thus far. I did chuck up a large piece of dry walnut cut from firewood that had sat inside for 4 years. That made the machine vibrate considerably more than the small pens and bowls I have turned thus far. Also I hope to build my own accesory table to aide with resawing that will be more easily supported from the bench top than by telescoping legs.

Hey Isn't Hoo-ah spelled HUA? Heard Understood Acknowledged.:D

Thanks all so for far the input maybe I can get my son to help me with Sketch up and I can put some proposed ideas up for peer review. Also anyone used any of the SS resaw blades, I have the standard set and they cut soft wood and cherry well but are inadequate with red oak, and walnut. I'm using the 1/2 blade and cutting 4-5 inch widths from 4/4 stock planed and squared prior, with the kreg fence, and kreg SS resaw fence attachment.

Sincerly

Jason
Maryland USAF
Bad day in the shop is better than any day at work
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

Jason
I think the disk on the aux end output shaft is a indexing wheel. Notice the piece of wood on the outside of it coming up from the way tube. The disk itself is probably drilled with holes at 0, 30, 60 90, 120,180 degrees etc. This allows something mounted on the lathe to be indexes.

Say you wanted to cut 4 flats on turned cylinder. You would index the piece by stick something through the board and index wheel and then sand/cut the top of cylinder flat. Then you would remove the pin and turn the cylinder to 90 degrees and do the same thing, repeating agian at 180 and 270.

Or perhaps you would like to flutes around the cylinder you would start at 0 degrees and do your flute then you would move to 30 degrees and so on. I'm sure you get the idea.

Plus have the disk mounted you can always use it to turn you quill when the need arise. Good addition for your Shopsmith if you do any indexed turning or have trouble turning the quill by hand to get the flat where you want it to mount something on your SS.
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

Ed in Tampa wrote:Jason
I think the disk on the aux end output shaft is a indexing wheel. Notice the piece of wood on the outside of it coming up from the way tube. The disk itself is probably drilled with holes at 0, 30, 60 90, 120,180 degrees etc. This allows something mounted on the lathe to be indexes.

Say you wanted to cut 4 flats on turned cylinder. You would index the piece by stick something through the board and index wheel and then sand/cut the top of cylinder flat. Then you would remove the pin and turn the cylinder to 90 degrees and do the same thing, repeating agian at 180 and 270.

Or perhaps you would like to flutes around the cylinder you would start at 0 degrees and do your flute then you would move to 30 degrees and so on. I'm sure you get the idea.

Plus have the disk mounted you can always use it to turn you quill when the need arise. Good addition for your Shopsmith if you do any indexed turning or have trouble turning the quill by hand to get the flat where you want it to mount something on your SS.

FWIW, that index wheel is marked off in 15&#176]No [/B]holes!

The board attached to the waytube is an index pointer. I do not see a method of clamping it at a given position. Considering its radius, it has to be quite accurate.

Excellent design. Kudos to whoever did it(probably the same individual who designed/built the storage stuff)! Only improvement I can offhand think of is to drill a 12" sanding disk instead of the wooden disk and 'steelize' the index and add a detent pin.(overkill!!! but better)
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Now I thought it was a buffing wheel.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
dusty
Platinum Member

Post by dusty »

beeg wrote:Now I thought it was a buffing wheel.

I was with you, beeg. But then I can't see the 15 degree index marks so JPG has clues that are hidden from me.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

dusty wrote:I was with you, beeg. But then I can't see the 15 degree index marks so JPG has clues that are hidden from me.
sorry, the lines were more visible in one of the pics that I didn't dload. they were also more visible in the pic that I posted before I re-sized it for here.

oh, and my concern for propriety/rules was over re-posting someone else's pics that I had no copyright or release for.

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
nomoman
Gold Member

Post by nomoman »

Does something like this (ref: the cabinet) make it heavier to move around??
I see said the blindman, to his deaf wife, as he picked up his hammer and saw.
Shopsmith Mark V. DC3300
Jared
JPG
Platinum Member

Post by JPG »

dusty wrote:I was with you, beeg. But then I can't see the 15 degree index marks so JPG has clues that are hidden from me.

I was looking at that other pix(on e-bay). I magnified it greatly to see the detail.

[ATTACH]6787[/ATTACH]
Attachments
index.JPG
index.JPG (31.03 KiB) Viewed 5078 times
╔═══╗
╟JPG ╢
╚═══╝

Goldie(Bought New SN 377425)/4" jointer/6" beltsander/12" planer/stripsander/bandsaw/powerstation /Scroll saw/Jig saw /Craftsman 10" ras/Craftsman 6" thicknessplaner/ Dayton10"tablesaw(restoredfromneighborstrashpile)/ Mark VII restoration in 'progress'/ 10
E[/size](SN E3779) restoration in progress, a 510 on the back burner and a growing pile of items to be eventually returned to useful life. - aka Red Grange
Ed in Tampa
Platinum Member

Post by Ed in Tampa »

When I said it was drilled so a pin could be inserted I was thinking that the builder of the index wheel copied the pattern of most index wheels that come on some lathes. They usually have a pin or heavy detent that holds the wheel and the turned piece rigidly in the indexed position.

I can't imagine trying to clamp it rigid but then I haven't tried it so I don't know if it would work or not.

Always wondered what kind of mess you could have if you had the index pin in position and forgetfully turned the machine on. My guess the motor would just stall and you would catch the mistake quickly. Worst case blow a breaker or fuse or even the motor I guess.:eek:
Ed in Tampa
Stay out of trouble!
foxtrapper
Gold Member

Post by foxtrapper »

Nothing wrong with the proposed plan of action.

As an alternative, you may want to consider this one as well. http://www.shopsmith.net/forums/attachment.htm?attachmentid=1998&d=1220666738

I built one of these a few years ago. It has served well.