Under cabinet storage questions

Forum for people who are new to woodworking. Feel free to ask questions or contribute.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

jcmbs
Silver Member

Under cabinet storage questions

Post by jcmbs »

In my quest for efficient use of space and orderly approach to my growing passion I have read and viewed the forum threads on under cabinet storage and have decided to consolidate my SS to two rolling cabinets. The rolling cabinet seems to be the best solution given my space and active duty military status that could potentialy have another move or two prior to retirement in 2014 or 2015. I'm going to build a base for the SS Mark V and remove the lower legs. I'm thinking a main cabinet with 2 smaller bases at each end on top to provide enough clearance for the main table/tubes in its lowest position. I do not intend to use the lift assist, and use my TS3650 or wood master for dimensioning stock instead of the SS/TS.

Estimated dimensions are 68"L x 22"W x 19 3/4"H. I want to use large heavy duty casters x4 with brackets on the corners for a low base support and maximize available storage space. I also will put a T track system outer and centered on the top and on the vertical drill end for auxillary support.

Materials:
Case: plywood 3/4 cabinet grade
Face: Maple or Oak
Drawers: Oak and maple, with ball bearing slides, doors quater sawn oak or maple (what ever I have available)

I intend to store all the lathe, Drilling/Boring and Disk Sander, misc needed items. The Bandsaw, Jointer and Beltsander will go another mobile cabinet with storage for blades, sanding belts aux fences ect..

Okay I'm looking for feedback or potential design setbacks, before embarking on this major but much needed undertaking.

V/R

Jason
Bad day in the shop is better than any day at work
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

jcmbs wrote: Okay I'm looking for feedback or potential design setbacks, before embarking on this major but much needed undertaking.
some random thoughts:
1) double-locking casters are a good choice for this application

2) with 4" casters, you could probably fit some shallow drawers under the bottom plate. remember to leave some toe room if you do that, though.

3) consider designing spaces for desiccant containers in the drawers where rust might be a problem in high humidity areas

4) for the SPT cabinet, several people here have recommended storing heavy SPTs like the jointer at roughly the same height that they will be used to make it easier on your back and knees

5) this is your chance to pick the height of the lathe spindle to match your height.

6) if you expect to ship this loaded, give some serious consideration to protecting any carbide cutters on blades and bits.

I'm sure that others here will come up with lots of better inputs.

looking forward to seeing your design

Ivan
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
wildcard
Gold Member

Post by wildcard »

I am still finishing mine, but i built it to fit under the SS without removeing the legs, and the diagonal areas on the ends are for large item storage.

Anyway, one thing i did was build a down draft table at the top of the cabinet, so that if i am useing the lathe, or anything else that causes shavings to drop onto the SS or cabinet, it catches them and they are sent to the dust collector.

I built it to go all the way up between the lower tubes, and it is angled inward like a funnle, the top cover is just a sheet of thin plywood with holes drilled in it, that you can cover or uncover to focus the down draft to where you want it.

I will post picts when i finish it, but it will be after chirstmas at this point
dusty
Platinum Member

Under Cabinet Storage Questions

Post by dusty »

Even though I am no longer moving around the world with my Shopsmith, I have given thought to putting it on a base that would allow me to eliminate the legs and set the nominal table height to where I really want it (lower because I am a shorty).

The single factor that keeps me from doing this is concern for the center of gravity. That concern would be even greater for a unit on wheels.

Other that this one thing, I think your idea would be a great solution for the traveling Shopsmith user. Oh yeah, build it stout. Simple glued dado joints are probably not adequate. Don't get carried away though, one day you are going to want to move this tank.
"Making Sawdust Safely"
Dusty
Sent from my Dell XPS using Firefox.
jcmbs
Silver Member

Post by jcmbs »

A down draft table, very clever as i had though of using T-tracks for holding adapters for exhaust hoods for sust collection above each machine in addition to the primary collection. I think a down draft is would be a great design feature.

Dusty:

Yes stout, as I'm thinking 3/4 Cabinet plywood for the carcass sides bottom and rear. The bottom rails will be 1" square oak or maple in a ladder configuration and the wheels mounted on the corners with heavy locking braces. I should be able to mount them in way that leaves me less than 1" clearance from the floor. I'm thinking to further promote stability that the dimensions should be beyond the LxW by 1-2" like the current base foot print now. I'll try and get some pics up this week. Thanks

Jason
Bad day in the shop is better than any day at work
billmayo
Platinum Member

Post by billmayo »

dusty wrote:Even though I am no longer moving around the world with my Shopsmith, I have given thought to putting it on a base that would allow me to eliminate the legs and set the nominal table height to where I really want it (lower because I am a shorty).

The single factor that keeps me from doing this is concern for the center of gravity. That concern would be even greater for a unit on wheels.

Other that this one thing, I think your idea would be a great solution for the traveling Shopsmith user. Oh yeah, build it stout. Simple glued dado joints are probably not adequate. Don't get carried away though, one day you are going to want to move this tank.
I made the following "Construction Shopsmith" from a Shopsmith that fell off the back of a pickup truck 7 years ago. The legs were torn off and had a lots of scuff marks. I had to sand and repaint it. I used a 2KW Honda generator on the extension table for power for the Shopsmith and all my power tools while adding a 1000 sq. ft. addition to our home. I can move it with my Kobota tractor and the hand mover. It has 10" tires and was very stable with any SPT mounted. I stored my power and hand tools on each side each night and parked the Shopsmith inside a shed for security. I have loaned it out several times as it loads very well on a tilt trailer.

It is the same width as the Shopsmith legs and could be constructed either higher or lower as needed by the owner. I used bolts, lag bolts and deck screws (no nails) to assembly it. I was amazed at it's stability on the 10" rubber tires and had no problem towing or using it with any of the SPTs mounted. It was a cut and fit construction with no measurements being made. I still have it without a headstock if anyone is interested as I no longer use it.
[ATTACH]6760[/ATTACH]
Attachments
IMG_0493.JPG
IMG_0493.JPG (63.96 KiB) Viewed 23815 times
Bill Mayo bill.mayo@verizon.net
Shopsmith owner since 73. Sell, repair and rebuild Shopsmith, Total Shop & Wood Master headstocks, SPTs, attachments, accessories and parts. US Navy 1955-1975 (FTCS/E-8)
swampgator
Platinum Member

Post by swampgator »

I meant to show you one from eBay that was for sale. It had a wonderful cabinet underneath the way tubes. It was hanging from the top bolt holes on the legs. There were three doors and one section had a place for each bit, another drawer for router bits and a special place for all his blades. All the other stuff was on one of the shelves in the cabinet. But, apparently, today, it sold. You may wish to visit Craig's List and ebay searching for Shopsmith's and you may find good pics to give you some ideas.

Have a super week and I hope to see pics of your dream under shop storage system.

the old swampgator in FL :(
major_bob
Gold Member

Post by major_bob »

Jason,
Quite honestly, this is an idea that I have never considered. Ironic, since Shopsmith historically was a "bench top" machine.
Really looking forward to seeing what you come up with.

bob
Bob
LTC, US Army
Ft. Leonard Wood, MO
Hoo-ah !
iclark
Platinum Member

Post by iclark »

swampgator wrote:I meant to show you one from eBay that was for sale. It had a wonderful cabinet underneath the way tubes. It was hanging from the top bolt holes on the legs. There were three doors and one section had a place for each bit, another drawer for router bits and a special place for all his blades. All the other stuff was on one of the shelves in the cabinet. But, apparently, today, it sold. You may wish to visit Craig's List and ebay searching for Shopsmith's and you may find good pics to give you some ideas.
I suspect that I saw the one you mean. I saved a couple of the pictures.
hopefully, I'm not breaking too many rules by posting them.

[ATTACH]6775[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6776[/ATTACH]
Attachments
ebay-storage-small.PNG
ebay-storage-small.PNG (391.57 KiB) Viewed 24125 times
ebay-storage2-small.PNG
ebay-storage2-small.PNG (501.58 KiB) Viewed 23947 times
Mark V (84) w/ jigsaw, belt sander, strip sander
ER10 awaiting restoration
a1gutterman
Platinum Member

Post by a1gutterman »

iclark wrote:I suspect that I saw the one you mean. I saved a couple of the pictures.
hopefully, I'm not breaking too many rules by posting them.

[ATTACH]6775[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH]6776[/ATTACH]
Breaking what rules??? The pictures are nice. That is a nice cabinet. I do knot see anything about selling it on your post, so I do knot know of any rules that you are breaking!:cool:
Tim

Buying US made products will help keep YOUR job or retirement funds safer.