one way Chuck for wood turning

Create a review for a woodworking tool that you are familiar with (Shopsmith brand or Non-Shopsmith) or just post your opinion on a specific tool. Head to head comparisons welcome too.

Moderators: HopefulSSer, admin

giospro
Bronze Member

one way Chuck for wood turning

Post by giospro »

What other types of one way chucks fits on a shopsmith? (Besides Shopsmith Chucks)
" It is a bad teacher that does not allow his student to become better than himself."

Gios
beeg
Platinum Member

Post by beeg »

Any chuck will fit, as long as ya can get a 5/8's plain adapter for it.
SS 500(09/1980), DC3300, jointer, bandsaw, belt sander, Strip Sander, drum sanders,molder, dado, biscuit joiner, universal lathe tool rest, Oneway talon chuck, router bits & chucks and a De Walt 735 planer,a #5,#6, block planes. ALL in a 100 square foot shop.

Bob
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

giospro wrote:What other types of one way chucks fits on a Shopsmith? (Besides Shopsmith Chucks)

Most chucks have a 5/8" adapter available, I also have a 5/8" adapter to 1 1/8" (I think that is the size) which allows me to use any chuck or collet with my Shopsmith. Several companies sell 5/8" adapters but you want to look for a high quality one because it will affect everything you attend. Mine cost about $45 and ex extremely accurate, you can get them from China for $15 but the one I tried I returned. If you search the forum you can find the URLs of companies who make adapters.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
tom_k/mo
Platinum Member

Post by tom_k/mo »

paulmcohen wrote:...I also have a 5/8" adapter to 1 1/8" (I think that is the size) which allows me to use any chuck or collet with my Shopsmith....
I believe you're referring to 1"x8 (1" Dia, 8 threads/inch).
ShopSmith MarkV-520 with Belt Sander, Jointer, Band Saw, Strip Sander, Scroll Saw and Biscuit Jointer SPTs and a DC-3300...
Woodworking Hobbyist (Check out all my Woodworking Plans (http://vbwhiz.isa-geek.net/plans)
Aspiring Sandcarver: Breaking glass one grain at a time.
Black Powder Shooter (love the smell of burning sulfur).
tango
Gold Member

Post by tango »

giospro wrote:What other types of one way chucks fits on a shopsmith? (Besides Shopsmith Chucks)
I picked up a Barracuda chuck from Penn State Ind. a while back and I use it all the time. Got the 1" 8TPI adapter to go along with it as well as a #2mt live center for the tailstock and turning has never been easier. The barracuda is a great chuck, lots of jaws and nice case... somebody else said the same thing in a different thread so I know I'm not alone in this.
tgiro
Gold Member

Post by tgiro »

Home depot is still running their sale on One-Way chucks and they even have some in stock, online.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10053
tango
Gold Member

Post by tango »

Ya know, I really don't understand the difference in these chucks. As I stated earlier, I use a Barracuda 2 chuck which ran about 200 bucks. So can someone clear the air for me on the differences in these chucks other than the jaw size?

Is it just the size of the jaws that differ, or is there more to it?
bobgroh
Gold Member

Post by bobgroh »

tgiro wrote:Home depot is still running their sale on One-Way chucks and they even have some in stock, online.

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/sto ... ogId=10053
Unfortunately the one's in stock are still the 'bar adjust' type and I have my heart set on the one with the single adjuster. I check every couple of days to see if they magically get some more and then I (might) pounce (if I have any money at that time - darn the budget).
Bob Groh
Blue Springs, Missouri (just east of Kansas City, MO)

--------------------------------------------
1984 SS Mark V updated to model 510
1994 SS Mark V updated to model 520
SS SPT's: Bandsaw
Other tools:routers, Bosch router table, Craftsman 6" jointer, Steel City 12" bench planer, Porter Cable 7" power saw, and too much other stuff (not really - just kidding!!)
paulmcohen
Platinum Member

Post by paulmcohen »

tango wrote:Ya know, I really don't understand the difference in these chucks. As I stated earlier, I use a Barracuda 2 chuck which ran about 200 bucks. So can someone clear the air for me on the differences in these chucks other than the jaw size?

Is it just the size of the jaws that differ, or is there more to it?

There are many difference between chucks.
  1. How you open or close the jaws, one hand with a key or two hands with bars. I have both and hate the bars.
  2. Availability of jaws, Nova has a huge catalog of jaws that fit (almost) all of their various chucks, from 25mm to over 100mm.
  3. Size and weight of the chuck, smaller chucks are easier to get started on low power lathes. Shopsmith would be considered a higher HP lathe so this is not an issue and I prefer a heavier chuck.
  4. Indexing plate, useful for special applications. I have yet to use mine.
  5. Availability of Cole Jaws, these are very large jaws that have threaded holes on a flat surface. Screws with rubber bumpers hold bowls. I use these with every bowl I make. I have found that the holes on all the jaws seem to be the same but different vendors offer different bumpers and I have used bumpers from Nova and One-way.
  6. Availability to use a screw center without removing the chuck or jaws, this helps turning the foot that will hold the bowl on the chuck.
  7. Availability of plastic jaws that can be shaped for different applications.
  8. Types of screw centers available, Nova has a very simple one I have seen other chucks with very fancy screw centers.
Paul Cohen
Beaverton, OR
A 1982 500 Shopsmith brand upgraded to a Mark 7 PowerPro, Jointer, Bandsaw (with Kreg fence), Strip Sander, Ring Master and lots of accessories all purchased new
12" Sliding Compound Mitre Saw, 1200 CFM DC
tango
Gold Member

Post by tango »

paulmcohen wrote:There are many difference between chucks.
  1. How you open or close the jaws, one hand with a key or two hands with bars. I have both and hate the bars.
  2. Availability of jaws, Nova has a huge catalog of jaws that fit (almost) all of their various chucks, from 25mm to over 100mm.
  3. Size and weight of the chuck, smaller chucks are easier to get started on low power lathes. Shopsmith would be considered a higher HP lathe so this is not an issue and I prefer a heavier chuck.
  4. Indexing plate, useful for special applications. I have yet to use mine.
  5. Availability of Cole Jaws, these are very large jaws that have threaded holes on a flat surface. Screws with rubber bumpers hold bowls. I use these with every bowl I make. I have found that the holes on all the jaws seem to be the same but different vendors offer different bumpers and I have used bumpers from Nova and One-way.
  6. Availability to use a screw center without removing the chuck or jaws, this helps turning the foot that will hold the bowl on the chuck.
  7. Availability of plastic jaws that can be shaped for different applications.
  8. Types of screw centers available, Nova has a very simple one I have seen other chucks with very fancy screw centers.

Oooo....kkkaaayy, ummm, so I guess it's fair to say that there is a bit of difference.

I uh, ahem, I really knew all that, just thought I'd test you guys out.

Thanks for clearing all that up for... um... whoever needed it.

I'm gonna go play in the dirt now :rolleyes: